Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Other Search Engines & Directories > Open Directory Project
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2006   #1
jag
Forums Valuator, SEW

jag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the rough
Will DMOZ be back or ...?

It has been almost more than a month, it displays "Service Temporarily Unavailable"

Do any one know what Service Temporarily Unavailable

Will it be ok soon?

Waiting for them to be back soon
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006   #2
smconline

smconline is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't hold my breath. Due to the holidays, I dont suspect they will editors to get back into editing until the start of the new year.
smconline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006   #3
jag
Forums Valuator, SEW

jag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the rough
oh any one else?
Old 12-11-2006   #4
FreeAgent

FreeAgent will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down

I have never been a big fan of Dmoz, and I'm even on of their many category editors. Google should by Dmoz from Netscape and turn it into a virtual landfill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag
Will it be ok soon?
Like smconline said, I'm sure they will be back in service after the New Year.
FreeAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #5
Justilien
Link Columnist - SearchEngineWatch

Justilien is a jewel in the roughJustilien is a jewel in the roughJustilien is a jewel in the rough
Rest in Peace (RIP) DMOZ...
Justilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006   #6
ManBearPig

ManBearPig is on a distinguished road
Maybe they've been working through their backlog of submissions for the last two months or maybe the editors have had enough and called it a day

Last edited by evilgreenmonkey : 12-17-2006 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Removed signature link
ManBearPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #7
David Wallace

David Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to behold
An update as to the future of DMOZ...

The Unsure Future of DMOZ (Open Directory Project)
ODP Founder Skrenta On Dying Open Directory
Open Directory Toasted Without Backups

Doesn't look good in its current state. AOL needs to put it up for sale or we will most likely be holding funeral services for it in the not to distant future.
David Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #8
pagode

pagode is on a distinguished road
see http://www.resource-zone.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=45325

UPDATE: December 18, 2006 -- Editors have regained access to the editors server. However, the public ODP scripts (including site suggestion, update listing, editor application, and abuse reporting) are still not available and we currently have no ETA for their return.
pagode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006   #9
FreeAgent

Here is a letter we got from dmoz...

Quote:
Dear Editor,

On October 20th, the DMOZ editor server experienced a serious failure. The technical issues have been resolved and the site is back up and working.

You are now able to log in and edit just like before. However, despite the best efforts of our staff, not all of the data could be recovered. The public side is intact, but unfortunately, a significant amount of the editor-only data is lost. The programmers will continue working on the recovery process while we return to editing.

* For more detailed information from staff about the recovery efforts and present status, please see “Editor Server down since Fri 20 Oct 2006: news from staff” in the Bugs and Features forum.

* If you have questions or need help, please see the “Welcome Back” thread in the General forum.

* If you encounter a problem while editing and would like to report a bug, please carefully read the first post in "Server Crash '06 Bug Reports" in the Bugs and Features forum to find out the most effective way to do so.

Thank you for your contributions to the directory.

The DMOZ team
Old 12-21-2006   #10
pagode

did you ever read http://dmoz.org/guidelines/communication.html#privacy
Old 12-21-2006   #11
FreeAgent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagode
Nope, until now I have never read that before. However, the information I posted was not sent to me via email and I did not pull it from a ODP web forum. In other words I did not break the set of rules you are referring to.
Old 12-28-2006   #12
tornadosoft

tornadosoft is on a distinguished road
Do not forsee any changes anytime soon...

DMOZ has been down for quite some time and I don't see that changing anytime soon. They have been telling people for months now that they are aware of the problem and are working to fix it.

I don't care who you are, it does not take this long to fix the site to be working again.

Something else seems to be going on, that those of us not involved on the inside of the DMOZ organization are unaware of.

Maybe they are in the process of seeing if someone can buy them out or re-structure things to handle the huge influx of new websites that are trying to use DMOZ as a part of their SEO / SEM Marketing efforts.

Time will tell, but in the meantime people should continue to focus on finding alternative links to their websites and not just rely on DMOZ.

Damian

Last edited by Chris_D : 12-28-2006 at 08:36 PM. Reason: No sigs please see FAQ's
tornadosoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006   #13
pagode

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadosoft
DMOZ has been down for quite some time and I don't see that changing anytime soon. They have been telling people for months now that they are aware of the problem and are working to fix it.
Things has been solved in order of priority
1) DMOZ itself has only been down for abut 2 days. That is the public site at the RDF dump.
2) The editor server which had the most problems was recovered and after intensive testing was accessible for all editors a week before XMas.
3) A few of the lesser important issues are still being worked on. Somewhere at the bottom of that list is the option to suggest sites.

Quote:
Time will tell, but in the meantime people should continue to focus on finding alternative links to their websites and not just rely on DMOZ.
This is totaly unrelated to the DMOZ problems. You should always have focused on other sources to promote your website. And in the future you still must do so, even when all functions of DMOZ are back online.
Old 01-09-2007   #14
etechsupport

etechsupport is on a distinguished road
I checked after a gap of two month still it displays "Service Temporarily Unavailable", how to keep watch when the service available?
etechsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007   #15
pagode

Information will be given in the announcement on the DMOZ public forum
Old 03-17-2007   #16
jag
Forums Valuator, SEW

DMOZ is not like before, they inclusion is getting delayed

Any body no why?

Jag
Old 03-17-2007   #17
birdie

birdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by jag
DMOZ is not like before, they inclusion is getting delayed
>10 000 sites were added in the last month or so. Not sure what you think is not like before.
birdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #18
jag
Forums Valuator, SEW

Thumbs up Re: Will DMOZ be back or ...?

birdie,

Do you have any doc for that, how do you say 10 000 sites were added?

I dont think so

Thanks,
Jag
Old 04-11-2008   #19
birdie

birdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Will DMOZ be back or ...?

Just download successive RDF dumps from DMOZ and its easy to count the sites added. Its usually ~>2000 a week.
birdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #20
jag
Forums Valuator, SEW

Re: Will DMOZ be back or ...?

birdie can you tell exact area?