Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2006   #1
davec004

davec004 is on a distinguished road
Strange text under sponsored link??

I've notice some strange text under my sponsored link for the past couple of days. It is right under my URL in the ad and the text has been "Georgia". I also noticed it in a competitors so it isn't an error on my part.

Has anyone seen something like this or know what it is/means??
davec004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006   #2
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
I would love to see a screen capture...
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006   #3
evilgreenmonkey

evilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud of
I've also seen this, with the word "London" under a couple of ads. Related to the role-out of improved Local Search Ads I guess.

Will try to replicate.

evilgreenmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006   #4
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Thanks, would love to see it.
Old 11-17-2006   #5
evilgreenmonkey

evilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud of
Got it, will post a screenshot up on SER, hang on...

PS. Very kind of me not to self-promo post it up on my new search marketing website which I'm launching over the weekend
Old 11-17-2006   #6
rustybrick

You can self-promo, its all good. But thanks so much!
Old 11-17-2006   #7
evilgreenmonkey

Here you go:
http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/006735.html

Do you think that my initial thoughts of using the seller location as a method of increasing CTR is correct, or is there another reason you can think of?

Rob
Old 11-17-2006   #8
evilgreenmonkey

Just noticed that the copy includes the word "Londoner". Looks like this is Google Local related then. I would just give Dug (Duncan) a call on his mobile to confirm this, although I think he's currently in a pub. Will let you know as soon as I see him next
Old 11-17-2006   #9
rustybrick

Ok, that happens all the time for local type results, at least for me in NY. It is a geo thing, where advertisers who specify local regions only, will have that text added to those who fall within a geo area targeted.

Maybe it is new in the UK?
Old 11-17-2006   #10
evilgreenmonkey

Yeah, I think it's new over here - certainely hadn't seen it before conducting that search. I got all excited then

Rob
Old 11-17-2006   #11
evilgreenmonkey

Quote:
UPDATE: I've just contacted the person running the above Car Insurance campaign and they have confirmed that this is simply geo-targeting and that it's been out for a few months now. With this in mind, I can't believe that I have not seen this before. Surely advertisers in verticals such as these would be fighting to use these features to make adverts even more personalised and targetted?
Sorry guys, false alarm
Old 11-17-2006   #12
Toure
The PPCBlogger

Toure has a spectacular aura aboutToure has a spectacular aura about
I'm a bit late....

But its definately geo targetted Google local results, we have seen these for quite a while.

The local adverts do show on the search network.
Toure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006   #13
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of
Standard Geo-targeting Ad IDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec004
I've notice some strange text under my sponsored link for the past couple of days. It is right under my URL in the ad and the text has been "Georgia". I also noticed it in a competitors so it isn't an error on my part.Has anyone seen something like this or know what it is/means??
This is just geo-targeting ad ID. It's standard on most geo-targeted ads, unless they get promoted to the top slots when Google drops this ID. You can also get rid of it my using radius targeting as opposed to "regional" targeting.

Last edited by abbottsys : 11-17-2006 at 02:06 PM. Reason: typo
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006   #14
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
So possibly it has just launched in the UK market if this is the first you are seeing it. That is a bit of news.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006   #15
davec004

davec004 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottsys
This is just geo-targeting ad ID. It's standard on most geo-targeted ads,
Okay, but bear with me here. I'm a beginner. What does the "Georgia" indicate? I work for a pretty big Co. that deals with entire US. I know of some geo targeting, but if I was testing keywords and came across this "Georgia" for my Co's ad and anothe Co's again, what does it mean? My IP address is not Georgia area and even if it was why would that show up in the ad?

Can someone give me a brief explanation of geo targeting? Thanks guys.

Dave
davec004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006   #16
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by davec004
Okay, but bear with me here. I'm a beginner. What does the "Georgia" indicate? ....
It means that one of your ads has geo-targeting set in the U.S. for the State of Georgia. Check "Ad Settings" on each of your ads to find out which one.
Old 11-27-2006   #17
kevingibbons

kevingibbons is on a distinguished road
I'm currently seeing UK locations appearing for UK related searches while searching from Sydney. I've found that the ads are appearing for websites with Google Maps listings rather than being geo-targeted ads.
kevingibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #18
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevingibbons
I'm currently seeing UK locations appearing for UK related searches while searching from Sydney. I've found that the ads are appearing for websites with Google Maps listings rather than being geo-targeted ads.
Remember that, in general, a locally targetted ad (for example, an ad that's been targeted to Abingdon, UK) will show up in *two* different search situations:

1) If google decides the searcher is located in Abingdon
2) If the searcher is anywhere in the world, but performs a "local inbound search" which targets Abingdon. (A "local inbound search" is one that contains information in the search string to lead google to believe the target of interest is in the geographical location.)

Bottom line: locally targeted ads are not just for locals!!!

BTW: Amazing coincidence. I once lived in Abingdon for 4 years. At Coseners House on Abbey Close. But that was a while ago, back when the Internet was called ArpaNet and had about 20 nodes worldwide. We had one
Old 11-27-2006   #19
kevingibbons

kevingibbons is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottsys
Remember that, in general, a locally targetted ad (for example, an ad that's been targeted to Abingdon, UK) will show up in *two* different search situations:

1) If google decides the searcher is located in Abingdon
2) If the searcher is anywhere in the world, but performs a "local inbound search" which targets Abingdon. (A "local inbound search" is one that contains information in the search string to lead google to believe the target of interest is in the geographical location.)

Bottom line: locally targeted ads are not just for locals!!!

BTW: Amazing coincidence. I once lived in Abingdon for 4 years. At Coseners House on Abbey Close. But that was a while ago, back when the Internet was called ArpaNet and had about 20 nodes worldwide. We had one
Small world! Yes it's definitely geo-targeted by the search and it only seems to appear on google.co.uk, it's interesting that only websites with Google Maps listings have the location displayed though.
kevingibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #20
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevingibbons
...it's interesting that only websites with Google Maps listings have the location displayed though.
No real mystery. If you setup a Local Ad, then google *may* decide to run it (when appropriate) on the regular Search and Content network. And when they do they just append the usual geo ID.