Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2006   #1
clickagent75

clickagent75 is on a distinguished road
What tools does an SEO guru use?

What tools should an above average SEO guru have in his toolbelt?

I've been looking through SEW and found links to several sites and software that gives you insight into link popularity, keyword density, etc etc....

But what are the tools you would recommend to get my website moving up in the ranks? Top ten tools?

Last edited by clickagent75 : 11-01-2006 at 10:35 PM. Reason: grammar
clickagent75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #2
Toe

Toe is on a distinguished road
I can nearly bet that the most answer will be that seo-guru uses no software and do everything by hands )))
Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #3
ramz learning
Seo is great

ramz learning is on a distinguished road
Here is the best I use

http://www.seomoz.org/blogdetail.php?ID=1457

ram
ramz learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #4
jbgilbert
Old Timer

jbgilbert has a spectacular aura aboutjbgilbert has a spectacular aura about
absolute best 2 tools out there are:

1) The Human Brain

2) Experience

PERIOD!
jbgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #5
clickagent75

Hehehe..its hard to argue against the human brain.

But I would think it would be more efficient to use some automated methods in assisting the analysis. Tools to determine the best backlinks, keyword density, and tools to assess competitors' websites, etc.

Anyone else? (unless I'm hitting a sore spot and no one wants to give up their trade secrets...).
Old 11-03-2006   #6
sem4u
Digital Marketer

sem4u is on a distinguished road
I just use keyword tools from the search engines and that's it!
sem4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006   #7
eshop600
shop-bright

eshop600 is on a distinguished road
Not everyone has a brain! I keep mine under my hat.
eshop600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006   #8
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
I like xenu link sleuth (free broken link checker), Google's keyword research tool, and seo for firefox (a free tool of mine that puts research data right in the search results).

I also like looking at meme trackers, social news sites, bookmarking sites, blog search, and other things which show me what stories are popular and are currently spreading or what has spread in the past.
Old 11-16-2006   #9
Kqua

Kqua is on a distinguished road
LinkTiger.com

If you like Xenu, try http://www.linktiger.com

They check broken links on your website for free each week. If an error is found, they sent you an alert e-mail. So no hassle with software installation etc.
Kqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006   #10
seobrien
seobrien.com

seobrien is on a distinguished road
Check out Zippy

Zippy/
A metasearch engine with which you can pull URL related data and compare against other listings in search results
seobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006   #11
ramz learning
Seo is great

ramz learning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgilbert
absolute best 2 tools out there are:

1) The Human Brain

2) Experience

PERIOD!
For people who dont have these 2 and like to acquire some
I would suggest this http://www.seochat.com/seo-tools/

Last edited by ramz learning : 11-18-2006 at 11:27 AM.
ramz learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006   #12
Webnauts
Organic SEO Expert

Webnauts is on a distinguished road
Arrow Another tool

What about this www.seoworkers.com/search-engine-optimization-tools/analyzer.html

<Mod added: SEO Workers is a subsidiary of Webnauts.Net
Please note that talking about your own product, website, service or article is permissable IF it is relevant to a discussion that has already started. Be forthright and let people know any relevant connections you have with the company you are talking about. You will get more respect from the community by doing this./>

Last edited by Chris_D : 11-26-2006 at 08:06 AM. Reason: See: http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/faq.php?faq=code_of_conduct#faq_self-promo
Webnauts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #13
Webmaster T

Webmaster T is a jewel in the roughWebmaster T is a jewel in the roughWebmaster T is a jewel in the rough
I don't use anything that analyzes links. I use the response code tools on seoconsultants.com to check a new clients' 404 page and redirects for a proper response code. Don't just blindly belive your ISP or host does it right! you'd be surprised at how many 404 pages are not sending the correct response header. This is doubly true on NT!

I use an IP checker to determine how many sites a client really has (they always lie... er... forget!) or to identify problems with hosting (1000's of sites on a single IP). Then I go to a registrar and do a whois to verify the registrations and when they are due so I can tell the client to kill the spammy ones that can kill my work.

Basically I do this before I've even accepted the job so that I can insist on clean IPs with no legacy domains. IME, when the client reups spammy domains Google does check them out and this can lead to you starting in a big hole. Been there and done that and have the bald head to prove it!

I use Google/Overture and more recently Dan Thies keyword research report for a seed list, from these lists I will expand the KW list using mispellings, input errors and yes, a few users like my mother and other less than savvy users. Beyond that most tools are useless and impede the learning process that comes from doing it the hands on way.

I mean do you really need to know how many .gov and edu sites link to you and competitor sites? NO! Because a link is a link and a .gov or edu are just as likely to have crap content as any other site. These provide no magic bullet. I should know I have a penalized site with lots of .edu links to it! So much for the "increased trust" they supposedly transfer too!
Webmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006   #14
clickagent75

My Update

I downloaded and tested Arelis & WebPosition 4, both are helpful tools in their own right.

Arelis is great for reciprocal linking efforts. I like how it shows links to your competitors sites as well as their PR.

WebPosition; too automated for my liking. If everyone in the same space used its best practices, there would be no competitive advantage.

So far I've found Firefox SEO extensions from RankQuest to be very helpful and convenient.
Old 12-20-2006   #15
{seodude}

{seodude} can only hope to improve
I use many tools, my favorite one is my brain!

if you have the right tools, you are guaranteed SEO success. I always prefer good research using keyword software, then apply that knowledge with good content, unique and updated frequently, then I like to get incoming links from high PR and traffic sites and much more.

If you really want to know how I get 15,000 unique visits a day, check out my homepage link in my profile. I really do get a lot of traffic and have sold quite a substantial amount of stuff on the internet, check out my post here by SEODUDE: http://www.im4newbies.com/forum/how-...tml?highlight=
{seodude} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #16
sportsguy
Just another in-house SEM guy...

sportsguy is a jewel in the roughsportsguy is a jewel in the roughsportsguy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by {seodude}
if you have the right tools, you are guaranteed SEO success.
Well, I think that's stretching it a bit far.

Knowing how to use the tools is a big part of the equation. Even more important, is knowing how to interpret the data they provide you.

...and no tool can help you understand what the data is saying - that only comes from experience.

Here are the tools I use - dredged up from archive.org because, sadly, my own site lies neglected as I swap servers...

seo tools

Best bet for those looking into tools is to attend a show like SES. In many sessions, pros will readily show you the tools they use, explain why they use them, and show YOU HOW to use them - those sessions are invaluable, IMO.
sportsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #17
{seodude}

{seodude} can only hope to improve
sportsguy, good point, good link, that sums up some good products, but is missing the most valuable tool I started with and still use it occasionally, it is completely free....

http://www.goodkeywords.com/

everyone who makes websites or does ppc should have this tool, it tells you monthly searches and recommends tons of words, and also has a quick mispellings part which is awesome for ppc, be the only person with these mispellings
{seodude} is offline   Reply With Quote