Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2006   #1
Gooner151078
Online-Marketing-Manager.co.uk

Gooner151078 is a jewel in the roughGooner151078 is a jewel in the roughGooner151078 is a jewel in the roughGooner151078 is a jewel in the rough
Can't click on sponsored links in Firefox?

Weird one this, but I am using Firefox 1.507 (I cannot update to Firefox 2.0 with Windows NT) and I cannot click on the bottom three sponored links on the results page. This phenomenon has only been occurring this week but I would be interested if anyone else has experienced this?
Gooner151078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Don't take this as the defintive answer but there are a few bugs out there that now screw with FireFox... have you run a malware remover recently?
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006   #3
Gooner151078

Gooner151078 is a jewel in the roughGooner151078 is a jewel in the roughGooner151078 is a jewel in the roughGooner151078 is a jewel in the rough
Official response from Google is that it is a glitch in one of their datacentres so this will not affect everyone. It was the first they had heard of it though. I wonder if I will get any rebate from the money I must have saved them?
Old 11-01-2006   #4
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooner151078
Official response from Google is that it is a glitch in one of their datacentres so this will not affect everyone. It was the first they had heard of it though. I wonder if I will get any rebate from the money I must have saved them?
Don't hold your breath.....
Old 11-02-2006   #5
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of
Over the past few days, I have heard four such reports: the one report here, two on another forum, and a similar report in an advertiser email.

So, while it does not appear to be a widespread issue, the tech folks have certainly been looking into it. If you're experiencing this, by all means contact AdWords support and we'll see if we can't get to the bottom of it.

To be a bit more specific, engineering tells me it would be very useful to have the information below, if you have experienced this issue and plan to contact AdWords support:

* The version of FF you're using
* A cut-and-paste of "View/Page Source"
* A screenshot or other listing of all the extensions shown in "Tools/Extensions"
* The text from "Help/About"

Many thanks.

AWR

Last edited by AdWordsRep : 11-02-2006 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Fix type in screen name! Hahah!
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006   #6
Gooner151078

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdWordsRep
Over the past few days, I have heard four such reports: the one report here, two on another forum, and a similar report in an advertiser email.

I think this number is definitely growing.

I have heard nothing back from Adwords support here in the UK yet but have now spoken to a lot of people on Firefox 1.507 and they are having the same issues.
Old 11-09-2006   #7
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of
Quote:
...spoken to a lot of people on Firefox 1.507 and they are having the same issues.
I'll pass that on, Gooner151078. Just as a point of reference, though, I skim a very large number of advertiser emails each day, and have not seen as single one about this issue so far this week.

In any case, it'd be extremely helpful to have actual examples - so I hope you'll advise your friends to contact AdWords support with the details mentioned earlier. Feel free to have them add "ATTN: ADWORDSREP BY REQUEST" in the subject line of the email, and I'll put them in front of the tech team.

Here's what's needed:

Quote:
...engineering tells me it would be very useful to have the information below, if you have experienced this issue and plan to contact AdWords support:

* A screenshot or other listing of all the extensions shown in "Tools/Extensions"
Many thanks in adance.

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006   #8
Gooner151078

Thanks AdwordsRep, it's good to know that you are watching over these forums.

I have now received a prioroty update to update to Firefox 1.508 so it is no longer a problem for me. Interesting to see if google influenced this update?
Old 11-10-2006   #9
tttjjj

tttjjj is on a distinguished road
Still have problem after update

With latest update to 1.5.0.8 I still find some links work, some don't, and for some the cursor only becomes active at the extremity of the links (just above the final letter), this is on google.co.uk
tttjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006   #10
AussieWebmaster

There have been issues with ads not showing and links not working for some time with Firefox... sometimes it is the result of some malware that has been around for a while and others the settings need to be tweaked. Though there could also be flaws in specific versions - hence the quickness to upgrade.
Old 11-10-2006   #11
Gooner151078

Unfortunately my earlier post was innacurate. It still does not work. I have fowarded the information to Adword Support.

However, on closer examination the natural listing element appears to be scaling to the full width of the page meaning that the sponsored links are covered.

I have also proffered this information to Adwords support though the account management team are still deny it's existence.
Old 11-12-2006   #12
Marzipan

Marzipan is on a distinguished road
Sponsored links not working (Firefox 1.508)

I am also using Adwords in the UK, and I'm having exactly the same problem. I was told about it from a friend who is local to me (I am in South East London), so this is obviously a very widespread problem, or if not it is just localised to South East England perhaps? Sometimes I can click on the first sponsored link, but none of the others, sometimes I can't click on any at all.
It was working on a previous version of Firefox, but I was prompted last week to update to 1.508, at which point the problem started to occur.
If, as you say, they are denying the existence of the problem this is very worrying as it will obviously have very negative effects on our CTR if it is not sorted out. Many people are using Firefox in the UK, so business-wise this is obviously a very bad thing!
I will post again if I receive any further information on this.
Marzipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006   #13
Marzipan

Sponsored links working again in Firefox 1.508?

I just received a response from Adwords support in the UK to say that they fixed the problem with Adwords and the latest versions of Firefox. I just checked and it appears to be working fine on my computer now, I can click on all the sponsored links...
Just wondering if everybody else has found it's also working, I assume it's been fixed for everybody now?!
Old 11-15-2006   #14
Gooner151078

Yes, I too have received word from UK ADwords support to say that it has been fixed. I am yet to see my reward however...
Old 11-15-2006   #15
Marzipan

Adwords still not working?!

OK that is very interesting, they asked for several things copied from my machine when I sent the support enquiry:

Is it possible they've just fixed it for my machine and it's still not working for the people who are searching and trying to click on my ads?! Don't understand how this could be possible, but not out of the question I guess, especially considering you say yours still isn't working?? If it is fixed just for particular people's computers this is pretty useless as it obviously means people still can't click on my ads, apart from me!!
I will try and check it on other people's computers, let me know if yours starts working, cheers.
Old 11-15-2006   #16
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooner151078
Yes, I too have received word from UK ADwords support to say that it has been fixed. I am yet to see my reward however...
I just gave you some rep points for the effort!!!
Old 11-15-2006   #17
Marzipan

Adwords

Ok I think I might have misinterpreted Gooner's last post, I thought you meant the Adwords still weren't working, didn't realise you were talking about rep points... If I've got this wrong let me know, otherwise it looks like everything is cool with Adwords/Firefox now!
Old 06-25-2007   #18
luckyluc

luckyluc is on a distinguished road
Wow, I've had some ads that just never showed. I didn't know the reason, but I never thought about which browser I was using and if that affected the reason. Indeed, I am seeing an ad of mine show up in IE but not Firefox.

I'm also experiencing this problem on a much larger scale as none of my Adwords ads are being displayed on AOL which scares me when I think of the sheer amount of people I can't reach. I wonder if these problems are related...
luckyluc is offline   Reply With Quote