Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2006   #1
dsarathy
RankQuest

dsarathy is on a distinguished road
Conversions from Search Network Vs Content Network

Ads through content network produce more number of clicks for a lesser cost. The percentage and possibility of click fraud is high in content network ads. So,
(a)Are there a difference between the conversions from Ads from Search Network and Content Network?
(b) What is the ideal split of my budget between content network ads and the search network ads?
(c) Has anyone done an analysis on the number of customers got through content network ads and search network ads?
D Sarathy
RankQuest.

Last edited by dsarathy : 10-20-2006 at 01:01 AM.
dsarathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
While impressions are higher in content, generally, the actual clicks often are not, nor should they be, as the person is not searching.

Click fraud is much higher on content sites.

Conversions are also higher from search if you go click by click - though sometimes there are content categories that are much cheaper and thus may have a lower CPA - though this is not the norm.

Budget division like all other decisions should be based on ROI.

If you are not doing analysis of everything related to spends you are potentially wasting your money.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006   #3
GregD

GregD is on a distinguished road
It's a good idea to run campaigns for content network in a completely different account to campaigns for search network, even when the keywords are the same. I've found for quick analysis this helps a lot. You can also set up urls with different tracking for content.

Personally I've found that conversions rates from search are a lot higher than for content, and when you think about it this kinda makes sense. The user has more intent on search network i.e. they actively going out and looking (searching) for something, where with content sometimes it's more like the user is stumbling into something, they may like the look of you ad or product but it's not what they set out to do.
GregD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006   #4
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
you can do an insert for content or search with Google into your tracking code....
Old 10-20-2006   #5
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
Good information, all. I just wanted to say that there are a few products for us (not many, but a few) where we actually get better conversion from content than from search. It is definitely worth testing IMHO. Follow the suggestions in this thread, and set your CPC and budget conservatively to start, then track, track, track. Also remember - Google allows site exclusion, so if you find one site sending you junk traffic, just exclude it and continue. We've had that happen, as well - on the surface, a content campaign looks like it's performing poorly, but it's really just one bad apple spoiling the bunch. You need good analytics to discover this - this is one place where a good package can pay for itself quickly.

Melissa
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006   #6
dsarathy
RankQuest

Content Network yeilds lesser conversion

Though we understand that it's obvious (for most of the cases) that the content network yeilds lesser, why would people be investing in content network ads than focussing fully into search network Ads?
Old 10-20-2006   #7
GregD

GregD is on a distinguished road
Cause at the end of the day it's more exposure. Plus you'll never know if it works until you try it.
GregD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006   #8
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsarathy
Though we understand that it's obvious (for most of the cases) that the content network yeilds lesser, why would people be investing in content network ads than focussing fully into search network Ads?
Because you get content traffic cheaper and if any become repeat visitors it is a win situation.
Old 10-20-2006   #9
Chris_D

Chris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud of
You can have totally different bid pricing strategies for content sites (i.e. lower bids); and you can block specific content network sites from showing your ads.

As Aussiewebmaster said - it's all about the ROI. If it doesn't work - and doesn't make financial sense - don't use it. But sometimes it makes a lot of sense....
Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006   #10
dsarathy
RankQuest

Thanks for your time and responses

Hi All,

Thanks to all for your time and responses. Let me calculate the ROI for both the Content and Search Networks seperately and proceed further.

Thanks,
D Sarathy.
RankQuest
Old 10-26-2006   #11
AussieWebmaster

You need to break it out so look at the url insert method....
Old 10-30-2006   #12
dsarathy
RankQuest

URL insert method ?

Hi AussieWebmaster,
Quote:
You need to break it out so look at the url insert method....
Can you elaborate on this further?

D Sarathy.
RankQuest
Old 10-30-2006   #13
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Hi AussieWebmaster,

Can you elaborate on this further?

D Sarathy.
RankQuest
This explains it
https://adwords.google.com/support/b...14816&topic=80
Old 10-30-2006   #14
dsarathy
RankQuest

ValueTrack tag

Hi AussieWebmaster,

I know about the "ValueTrack tag" already. However, thought that you are explaining something else. Anyway, thanks for your time and interest.

Thanks once again.

D Sarathy.
RankQuest
Old 10-30-2006   #15
AussieWebmaster

add a keyword insert into the destination url and you know the term and where it came from....
Old 10-31-2006   #16
dsarathy
RankQuest

Won't it affect the campaign performance?

Hi AussieWebmaster,
Quote:
add a keyword insert into the destination url and you know the term and where it came from....
I've already started with the ValueTrack tag for the campaign. Now if I add the keyword tag also to it, won't it affect the campaign's performance? Won't Google consider the new url as a new compared to the new url (with the extra tag)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

D Sarathy.
RankQuest
Old 10-31-2006   #17
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Hi AussieWebmaster,

I've already started with the ValueTrack tag for the campaign. Now if I add the keyword tag also to it, won't it affect the campaign's performance? Won't Google consider the new url as a new compared to the new url (with the extra tag)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

D Sarathy.
RankQuest
Yes but if you leave the old one in and add the new one and put it on optimise it will slowly get the thousand impressions without jeopardising the flow... once it has its own history you can fully turn off the other without the impact.
Old 10-31-2006   #18
Kristin

Kristin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
Because you get content traffic cheaper and if any become repeat visitors it is a win situation.
I'm paying more for content clicks. What am I doing wrong?

Kristin
Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #19
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin

Kristin
set the default low... try 5 cents
Old 11-01-2006   #20
dsarathy
RankQuest

Check your ROI

Hi Kristin,
Quote:

Kristin
As long as you are getting enough ROI, it is ok to pay more for content clicks. However when it is not, then try what AussieWebmaster has said - bid for the lowest possible value - 5 cents. Also try to avoid your Adwords in countries which does not make sense.

D Sarathy.
RankQuest