Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2006   #1
glengara

glengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud of
Hidden text filter?

Friends' woodwork site is up over a year without getting indexed, granted it has no links, but Y! has indexed other sites with no links within a week, so I suspect there's something else.

She's using off-white text/links over a b/g image on a white background, page looks blank on the text only cache in G, but the links/text do show up in the Linx browser.

So I'm wondering if she's fallen foul of a hidden text filter...
glengara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #2
sem4u
Digital Marketer

sem4u is on a distinguished road
Well I don't think there is a hidden text filter as such, and as it doesn't rank is unlikely to have been given a manual spam review.

I would say that it is not getting indexed because of the lack of links. Many sites don't even get into the Google index as they have no links pointing to them.
sem4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #3
glengara

glengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud of
Site is "clean" and validates, and having recently had a new non-linked site picked up, indexed and ranking within a week, it's not simply a links question IMO.

The only other possibility is lack of content, it's only got a single line of text and 5 internal links...
Old 10-17-2006   #4
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of
Yeah, Yahoo picks up and indexes sites pretty quickly, even without inbounds. The lack of content sounds like it could definitely be a problem.

I have a couple of small sites with no inbounds that perform okay on Y!, but they each have a few outbound links. So one other thing I'd try is adding a couple of outbounds, more or less just to show that the site isn't a complete dead end.
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #5
fulton savage

fulton savage is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sem4u
Well I don't think there is a hidden text filter as such
Why?

I'd change the page's background color value to something dark just to play it safe. Search engines do look for similarly colored text and backgrounds.
fulton savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006   #6
sem4u
Digital Marketer

sem4u is on a distinguished road
A lot of sites still 'get away' with having hidden text on them. There is no auto ban or penalty. It's all still submit to manual reviews as far as I know...

I agree that the lack of content could be a problem.
sem4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006   #7
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Search engines can and have filtered/penalized for hidden text.

Yahoo will pick up a site that has not even one single link to it and include it in the index. It's happened with a holding page I put up for a new domain rather than park it at the registrar - but it'll need more than just that to rank.

<off-topic>
Correction: I just checked,and it now ranks #5 for the site name without even one single link to it. With the title and meta description, and it's cached.
</off-topic>

Last edited by Marcia : 10-18-2006 at 05:03 AM.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006   #8
glengara

I'll suggest she changes the background without initially adding any content, may help to determine causation...

On the text-only cache in G, AFAIK it's supposed to show all the page text in black yet for this page the text shows up as white which is odd.
Old 10-18-2006   #9
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Who knows what they're all doing with CSS nowadays. Here's a bit on Yahoo and CSS

http://www.marciahoo.com/archives/20...ing-css-files/
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote