Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2006   #1
Kristin

Kristin is on a distinguished road
Conversion Tracking Revisited?

I'm trying to get the conversion tracking code on my "Thank You Page" but I'm not sure how to get in there to do it. When I asked my web designer what I would need to do in order to put the code in, this was her response:

>You will not be able to edit code. I will need access to the Google account to get the code and insert. I need to make sure the code will work with the php code on the thank you page.<

Here is my dilemma, I can't afford to pay this lady $150 dollars every time I need some small thing like this done. Is there any way I can do this myself?

Thanks,

Kristin
Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006   #2
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of
Adding adwords tracking code to your "Thank You" page is a very simple site edit. My webmasters do it in about 5 minutes.

BTW: your webmaster does *not* need access to your adwords account to get the code. You can get the code and just email it to them.
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #3
sem4u
Digital Marketer

sem4u is on a distinguished road
$150!?!

Like abbottsys says it is just a 5 minute job....if that!
sem4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #4
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
It is worth your while to learn a little about this. If you are a small business you need to have enough knowledge to fill in anywhere in your sales/marketing etc process that way if you lose someone you are not dead in the water.

Conversion code is easy to get from Google Analytics - then all you need to do is add it just above the </body> tag.... so long as you have access to your hosting and can grab your thank you page on to your computer you do the edit, save the page and then send it back to the hosting server and say yes when they ask "You have a copy of this file Do you want to replace it..." YES and you are done!!!
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #5
Kristin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
It is worth your while to learn a little about this. If you are a small business you need to have enough knowledge to fill in anywhere in your sales/marketing etc process that way if you lose someone you are not dead in the water.

Conversion code is easy to get from Google Analytics - then all you need to do is add it just above the </body> tag.... so long as you have access to your hosting and can grab your thank you page on to your computer you do the edit, save the page and then send it back to the hosting server and say yes when they ask "You have a copy of this file Do you want to replace it..." YES and you are done!!!
OK, how do I know whether or not I have access to my hosting? I'm using Hostway but the shopping cart where the "Thank You Page" is, is with "Your Pay".

Thanks,

Kristin
Old 10-17-2006   #6
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin
OK, how do I know whether or not I have access to my hosting? I'm using Hostway but the shopping cart where the "Thank You Page" is, is with "Your Pay".

Thanks,

Kristin
The thank you page is usually referenced - but if the shopping cart people host it there has to be a way for you to get the code added.

Try this... call the tech people at your cart company and tell them you need to add tracking code to the thank you page - they will tell you if you have to do it at your hosting or if they can get it added since they host the page.

If you have to change it... next you get your log in info to your hosting account. You may need a FTP program. Or here too you should be able to call the hosting co. tech department and tell them what you need... considering how fast it can be done the tech guy may add it for you if you email it to him... play the damsel in distress and see if that works - if not grab an FTP program and transfer the page to your computer... open it in notepad and paste the code above the </bosy> tag. Then upload the page back to your host.
Old 10-17-2006   #7
AussieWebmaster

If you don't have the access info for your pages you need to have that from the designer - Right Away - never allow someone else to hold the only access - this way if you decide to go with someone else you can change the password and they no longer can get in... you should also be the administrator of all accounts where possible and give the others their own access that you have the ability to turn off.

Call the host company and tell them who you are if the designers drag their feet.
Old 10-17-2006   #8
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
Working with Hostway

Hi Kristin,

I'm familiar with Hostway.
Here is what you need to do.

Login to hostway's hosting control panel

http://sitecontrol.hostway.com
you should have received your login info when the account was set up.

Once logged in on the left hand menu select

"WEB BASED FTP" Which is File Transfer Protocol - a way to download, edit and upload your web files.

It will ask you to login - Try the behind a firewall login button first.

The resulting page will give you a folder view of your website's files.
Your computers directory on the left and the webfiles at the host on the right.

Hostway keeps all your website files under /WWW
so select the folder link WWW on the right side.
Now under this you will need to drill down to the folder that contains your response page/thank you page. Don't know where that is? Go through your check out process and once you have completed a sale take a look at the URL in your browser address bar. Use that path to find your thankyou page.

Back at hostway; From here select the page. Then click "open file" button at right.
This will automatically open up the page within an application on your computer. If you dont have any html editors like Dreamweaver (you should get dreamweaver) it will open the file in notepad or similar text editor.

As Aussie said, go to the very bottom of all the text. You will find the tag
</body> Just before that tag copy and paste the conversion code.

<-- conversioncode
feelgoodandbuygooglestock.js counter
garblygook --->
</body>

Now save the file (control S).
If it asks you to name the file KEEP THE EXACT NAME you started with.
thankyou.asp or similar.
Back to the hostway window
Select "Upload file" at bottom
Find the file you just saved.
Now upload the file.

Now that was alot but in summary it is only this.
Find file - take note of the exact name including the extension thankyou.asp
Open file
For safety save a copy of the original file as thankyou_original.asp on your local drive in case you mess up. But go back and work with the thankyou.asp file.
Make edits
Save edits using original name.
Upload file

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY - TEST THE PAGE.

Go after it.

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #9
AussieWebmaster

Another great assist there D. This woman should adopt you!!!
Old 10-17-2006   #10
Kristin

Thanks a lot. I'm going to try and tackle it this weekend. I'll let you know how I made out.

Thanks,

Kristin
Old 10-17-2006   #11
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
Thanks Aussie -

Been there so many times myself, searching and sorting through half answers and dead ends. I like to kick it into the back of the net if I can.

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006   #12
Kristin

>As Aussie said, go to the very bottom of all the text. You will find the tag
</body> Just before that tag copy and paste the conversion code.<

OK, this is where I got stumped. I do not have a tag that reads </body>. I opened the thank you file and scrolled down all the text but there is no </body>. What to do?

Thanks,

Kristin
Old 10-28-2006   #13
Kristin

When I open the thank you file, this is the last three lines:

RETR /www/thankyou.html
Done transferring uftp.tmp.
Transferred 18336 bytes in 0.188 seconds
Old 10-28-2006   #14
AussieWebmaster

Post the source code in total and let us have a look at it.
Old 10-29-2006   #15
Kristin

>Post the source code in total<

What does that mean?

Thanks,

Kristin
Old 10-29-2006   #16
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
>Post the source code in total<

What does that mean?

Thanks,

Kristin
when the thnk you page is in a browser click the view tab and then the page source or source link... this will popup a notebook page with the actual source code that delivers the page.... copy and paste it here so we can see what is happening
Old 11-01-2006   #17
Kristin

Quote:
when the thnk you page is in a browser click the view tab and then the page source or source link... this will popup a notebook page with the actual source code that delivers the page.... copy and paste it here so we can see what is happening

OK, I did that, it's a ton of info. Do you want me to paste the whole thing?

Kristin
Old 11-01-2006   #18
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
OK, I did that, it's a ton of info. Do you want me to paste the whole thing?

Kristin
Sure or send it to me in a PM either way works.
Old 11-01-2006   #19
Kristin

Quote:
Sure or send it to me in a PM either way works.
I can't send it to either. It says it's too long. 34,000 characters. 10,000 is the max. Do you want me to paste the last 10,000?

Kristin
Old 11-02-2006   #20
Toe

Toe is on a distinguished road
So in the end of your part 5 you have
</body>
</html>
before that </body> tag put the tracking code
Toe is offline   Reply With Quote