Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2004   #1
strategicrankings
Seolid.com - Ranking Websites First - since 1999

strategicrankings will become famous soon enough
Yahoo! new result layout

Noticed that this morning. The header is more discrete (no of SERP, time to search etc).
strategicrankings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
hmmm

More details please... though it does seem like they are adding more organic results as the default number on the page.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004   #3
strategicrankings

sorry

the results as such as not changed but its only the layout of the header and footer, more usable surely.
Old 06-08-2004   #4
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
I don't notice a layout change. Is it really subtle?
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004   #5
bwelford
Internet Marketing Consultant

bwelford is on a distinguished road
It must be. I see no obvious change from what I have been seeing for at least two weeks.
Old 06-08-2004   #6
strategicrankings

old style back

now i'm seeing the old tab style header again with the no of results in red. This morning it was a completely different one, maybe they are testing a new layout (header+ footer). the new one i've seen this morning is more discrete, no red font for no of results and time taken. i should have made a print screen. i simply thought it was a definite change.
Old 06-08-2004   #7
Dodger
Honorary Member

Dodger has a spectacular aura aboutDodger has a spectacular aura aboutDodger has a spectacular aura about
StrategicRankings may not have been seeing things after all. It was there, then it was gone -- at least the home page at Yahoo. So there is probably no doubt that other parts were being tested also.

CNET News.com article :Yahoo tests new home page

Link to image
Old 06-09-2004   #8
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
I believed

Guess I am guilible.. or maybe I just notice things that are fleeting too... I had an instance where Yahoo last week was running Google results in the organic listings when a search was done using Netscape in NYC... a couple of other NYC based people, including Google themsleves, saw the results.
Apparently Yahoo still has Google as a default back up for organic listings and something must have occurred to the regional database briefly... an update perhaps... either way I have learned in the industry to accept people and find reasons, so despite occasionally getting led astray, most of the time you are ahead of the curve.
Old 06-09-2004   #9
strategicrankings

here it is

i've put two samples of what i've been seeing for the past 2 days, online. You may view them here http://www.grapevine.mu/images/yahooheader.gif and
here http://www.grapevine.mu/images/yahoofooter.gif

Confirmed , i was not drunk
Old 06-09-2004   #10
Dodger
Honorary Member

Dodger has a spectacular aura aboutDodger has a spectacular aura aboutDodger has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
Guess I am guilible.. or maybe I just notice things that are fleeting too... I had an instance where Yahoo last week was running Google results in the organic listings when a search was done using Netscape in NYC... a couple of other NYC based people, including Google themsleves, saw the results.
Apparently Yahoo still has Google as a default back up for organic listings and something must have occurred to the regional database briefly... an update perhaps... either way I have learned in the industry to accept people and find reasons, so despite occasionally getting led astray, most of the time you are ahead of the curve.
You too!!! I noticed it myself, but it was even stranger.

I had put some links on two different sites, and one of the sites had a new product. Both sites got crawled and the links showed up on the caches of both Google and Yahoo. I thought kewl !!! I remember 8 pages almost immediately showing on Google and only remember just 3 on Yahoo (at this point in time).

Then Google backpeddled and the updated pages were no longer in the index, and the cached pages did not show them either. I said "WTF?" Then the stranger part happened, Yahoo reverted back to the older pages -- at the exact same time.

Now Google still is not showing any reference to the new product on the commercial site ... but Yahoo just indexed the landing page (but there are no links to this page anywhere in it's index). It is really strange -- I don't know who is skimming who right now.
Old 06-09-2004   #11
pleeker
www.SmallBusinessSEM.com

pleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by strategicrankings
i've put two samples of what i've been seeing for the past 2 days, online.
Good stuff, thanks strategicrankings. The screenshot on News.com was only the Yahoo home page, so this is new.

Must say, it reminds me quite a bit of ... Google's new SERPs layout.

Following the leader suits them well.
pleeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004   #12
AussieWebmaster

hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by strategicrankings
i've put two samples of what i've been seeing for the past 2 days, online. You may view them here http://www.grapevine.mu/images/yahooheader.gif and
here http://www.grapevine.mu/images/yahoofooter.gif

Confirmed , i was not drunk
Would have been more impressed if you had been...
Good catch though... it's like photographing UFOs or Big Foot.
Old 06-15-2004   #13
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Just saw the new results myself, now. Here's a view that shows how the new sponsored results format appears:

Last edited by dannysullivan : 06-15-2004 at 03:05 PM.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004   #14
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
I see the same deal. I feel that the bottom footer is a bit awkward.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004   #15
bwelford
Internet Marketing Consultant

bwelford is on a distinguished road
I see the same SERP here in Canada. I don't have an inordinate number of toolbars, but even so I can only see the first result of the search. The rest is below the fold. I assume they're trying to sell me something. Once more a retrograde step in the name of monetization.

I don't see any need for that 'Will Google die?' thread.
Old 06-15-2004   #16
pleeker
www.SmallBusinessSEM.com

pleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the rough
Agree with ya, bwelford. Look how far down that first unpaid result is. They just don't get it. Compare the same search on Google....
Old 06-15-2004   #17
TheotherTim
Official Y! Rep

TheotherTim will become famous soon enoughTheotherTim will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the feedback pleeker. That is why we test
Tim
TheotherTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004   #18
pleeker
www.SmallBusinessSEM.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherTim
Thanks for the feedback pleeker. That is why we test
Tim
You're welcome, Tim. Glad to help. Anything else the SEWCrew should be looking at?
Old 06-16-2004   #19
AussieWebmaster

hmmm

I see it a little differently in NY. We do not have the highlighted color for the sponsored listings. and only two there and then 4 on the side and 3 at the bottom.
Old 06-16-2004   #20
Phoenix

Phoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nice
Glad someone else confirmed this. I am seeing the new serp layout here in Texas. I did one of those weird "double takes" where for a moment I thought I had seen a Google layout, and then quickly realized it was a layout change. I like it, I think Yahoo did a good job on changing things up a bit (except for the sponsored ads prominence).
Comment on the homepage though, I wonder why that Yahoo decided to move all the graphics that normally where right beside the Yahoo logo to a box below it??? I think for as long as I can remember Yahoo always had those icons to the left - "Personalize, Travel, Finance" and right - "Mail, Messanger, Hotjobs". This icons might have changed a bit over the years, but they have always been right there. Maybe they got wise, and wanted to put them further down front and center, to grab attention to the plethroa of services they offer.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote