Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization > Link Building
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2006   #1
ramz learning
Seo is great

ramz learning is on a distinguished road
Link Building Vs. Brand Building

I was just thinking about which one would be more effective. Is it Link Building or a Brand Building.
I was looking at the site/blog of Matt cutts. Matt cutts never did Links with anyone, but he has build a huge brand name where thousands of people linked to him as the best seo resource.

Do I make any sence?

Ram
ramz learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006   #2
Rob
Canuck SEM

Rob will become famous soon enoughRob will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz learning
I was just thinking about which one would be more effective. Is it Link Building or a Brand Building.
I would say its a combination of both - while you want to protect your brand, you still need to do link building to help enhance that brand.

I say they go hand in hand - you do link building to influence your rankings in the engines, however you want to ensure that the links you get are good links that won't hurt your brand.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006   #3
wackimonki

wackimonki is on a distinguished road
From the way you've described Brand Building ramz, it sounds a lot more like link baiting too! Which I highly believe in. Though I'm yet to try it.
wackimonki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006   #4
Black_Knight
Ancient SEO

Black_Knight is just really niceBlack_Knight is just really niceBlack_Knight is just really niceBlack_Knight is just really niceBlack_Knight is just really nice
Actually, Matt already had the brand, which was what built a large proportion of the links. He also does link to things fairly frequently.

What would be really interesting to see would be if Matt left Google to see how long before all his 'fair weather fans' would cease paying attention or caring about his thoughts if they didn't impact directly upon the brand of Google. I think the links would cease building pretty fast if he was just Matt Cutts of some lesser-known company (which is sad and fickle).

Not that I'm wishing Matt to ever leave Google.
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006   #5
ramz learning
Seo is great

ramz learning is on a distinguished road
Black_Knight

Thats a good one
What you said is right abt matt cutts
ramz learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006   #6
JeremyL

JeremyL is on a distinguished road
It really depends on the site you are trying to promote. The Matt Cutts blog has nothing to do with how the rest of the internet operates. Unless you are the head of quality control for a major SE, there is no way you will come out of nowhere and do what his site has.

If you have a site with amazing content that people will want to link to, you really don't have to do as much link building. If you are spammin and jammin then that's a completely different story.

When it comes to great sites I usually take the route of viral link building (participation in related communities, blogs, etc...) as opposed to direct link building (directory submission, requesting links, etc...).
JeremyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #7
Anonymous
Sneaky Web Development

Anonymous is on a distinguished road
You can't build a brand without build links and you can't build links without building a brand.

Generally, it is a good idea not to get links using the ways or from sites you wouldn't associate with when building a brand.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006   #8
Gooner151078
Online-Marketing-Manager.co.uk

Gooner151078 is a jewel in the roughGooner151078 is a jewel in the roughGooner151078 is a jewel in the roughGooner151078 is a jewel in the rough
Links from good quality sites in your market will only help build your online brand. You also need to think of the functionality of your site. If you have a strong offline brand but a slow and creaky website, then other site owners that may enjoy and respect your brand won't link to you.
Gooner151078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006   #9
dsarathy
RankQuest

dsarathy is on a distinguished road
Link Building Vs Brand Building

Through Link Building, we provide hyperlinks from many web pages to our website. As a result, we increase our presence in the web and in turn, increase the possibilities of more strangers visiting our site. Link Building is typically done through site submissions, active participation in the public forums, blogs etc., Link Building helps in bringing more strangers to your website and it does not guarantees their satisfaction.

Turning the strangers into friends and eventually to customers is done by Brand Building exercise. By Brand Building activities, we increase our credibility, quality and reputation, which automatically increases the satisfaction of the users. Image Ads also helps in building the brand. As a result, users turn into customers. A brand is a symbolic embodiment of all the information connected to a company, product or service. A brand often includes an explicit logo, fonts, color schemes, symbols, which may be developed to represent implicit values, ideas, and even personality. Brand Building helps in retaining the customer base into loyalty customers.

Both go hand in hand and they compliment each other.

D Sarathy.
RankQuest

Last edited by dsarathy : 10-19-2006 at 08:22 AM.
dsarathy is offline   Reply With Quote