Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Search Marketing (PPC Ads)
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2006   #1
gsitts

gsitts is on a distinguished road
Yahoo PPC management crash

Yahoo PPC account management is unavailable and was off yesterday as well. They show this announcement on the login page:

SEARCH LISTINGS MANAGEMENT ISSUES:
We are aware of current difficulties in adding,
modifying or deleting listings and are working to
correct the problem. Please check back for
updates.

Any word on when this will be fixed, or alternate routes into managing our account? This is a serious issue when we can't stop, start or modify our PPC program.

We just finished adding a large block of new keywords and descriptions Friday, they got approved and addded by Saturday. We planned to modify and edit the rates and position yesterday, Monday. Because of this problem we can't, and and now some are in a runaway mode, burning through our budget.
gsitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006   #2
kandk

kandk is on a distinguished road
Down 3 days for me.

It's been 3 days now!!! You'd think if they rollout a bug they would be able to rollback to previous version. This looks bad for them in my opinion.

-kandk

Last edited by Discovery : 10-10-2006 at 04:56 PM. Reason: No Link drops please.
kandk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006   #3
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
Welcome to the wonderful world of Yahoo Search Marketing - The other side of the tracks.

I know this doesnt help you too much in this instance. But for the future if you have big changes to be made I would work through them with your account rep. He/she may be able to process them quickly before anything goes down with their app.

I hear panama is a nice place to visit, but you wouldnt want to live there.

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006   #4
jbgilbert
Old Timer

jbgilbert has a spectacular aura aboutjbgilbert has a spectacular aura about
These guys are really showing Google a thing or two, aren't they!

Sat MSN rolls out "another" new adcenter that has all the problems of the previous one plus some.

Then Yahoo tweaks their PPC engine and it dies!
jbgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006   #5
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
Webmaster World has a thread here:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/yahoo_...pc/3113952.htm

Here is my favorite quote from that thread. Someone wrote to Yahoo customer support and got this response:

"...As there is currently no estimated date or time frame for the issue to be resolved. ..."

Are they kidding?!? This is unacceptable! Don't they back up their site? Can't they just revert to the old site until they have this fixed??

Unbelievable.

Melissa
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006   #6
wasatch27

wasatch27 is on a distinguished road
Unbelievable

After discussing this situation with my Y! rep yesterday, she told me... "I can't get into any accounts to make any changes for my clients either."

That makes me feel a lot better.

BTW- What did Semel earn last year? I think it was over $50M. Bang up job, there sport!
wasatch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006   #7
gsitts

gsitts is on a distinguished road
Growing liability

What a mess for those poor guys. The potential for claims liability must be huge. We run some campaigns over the weekends only. We are still getting unwanted clicks, presumably being charged, and can't shut them down.

We are small, but their cumalative liability must be large and growing every hour. There are some big accounts affected.

We like Yahoo and their results. I want them to be successful as a counterweight to Google. This has to be so very discouraging to their management and a huge embarassment to their programmers.

It's sad.
gsitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006   #8
IgorMordkovich
Member Since 2003 ... new name.

IgorMordkovich is on a distinguished road
What else can I add here???

I ignored the red message and proceeded creating 5 more ads. As I hit "CONTINUE" I got to the message saying that the system won't allow any ads at this time.

Great ... 10 minutes wasted, but imagine if I was creating an entire campaign at that moment? How about 1 hour wasted or more???

I called Yahoo .... same all .... "we apologize .... don't know when this will be fixed."

Yahoo BOOOOO!!!
IgorMordkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006   #9
Eddings

Eddings is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery
Welcome to the wonderful world of Yahoo Search Marketing - The other side of the tracks.

I hear panama is a nice place to visit, but you wouldnt want to live there.

Discovery
I just fell out of my chair

I have some baby betas just hanging out there also that I can not do anything with.

Yahoo is like that weird uncle that you try to hide from your friends.
Eddings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006   #10
Toure
The PPCBlogger

Toure has a spectacular aura aboutToure has a spectacular aura about
I heard today from our Yahoo rep that they too are in fact experiencing a complete outage of their editorial system due to these corrupted files within the database and as yet there is no ETA on a fix.

Obviously this effects both uploading of new accounts or any modifications to listings and there is already a sizeable backlog for when the system is back up and running…

Whenever that might be.
Toure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006   #11
doggievt

doggievt is on a distinguished road
I was able to login and turn off my account. I don't see my ads displaying at the moment so it may have worked. I plan to check back daily to see if the issues are resolved. That might not be a good solution for some of you out there but thought I'd share...
doggievt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006   #12
Mathese

Mathese is on a distinguished road
My sales seem to be tanking based on my in-house tracking for about the last week. Is it a reasonably safe assumption to say that this very likely a result of these problems?
Mathese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006   #13
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
The timing of this outage couldn't have been worse for Yahoo. They're already getting slammed in the press for their slowness, esp wrt the YouTube / Google deal, and to top it off, they've broken their advertiser interface. Glad I don't work for Yahoo right now...

Incidentally, the issue appears to be resolved. I just logged in to my account and am able to view Editorial Status and the other areas that were broken yesterday. Still - it took 3 whole business days to fix this?!?

Melissa
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006   #14
YahooSarah
Official Representative (formerly OvertureRep)

YahooSarah is a glorious beacon of lightYahooSarah is a glorious beacon of lightYahooSarah is a glorious beacon of lightYahooSarah is a glorious beacon of lightYahooSarah is a glorious beacon of light
Hi All,

We've been experiencing some technical difficulties that were impacting the editorial tools in our search advertising UI but are happy to report that these systems are back up and running. Thanks for your patience.

YahooSarah
YahooSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006   #15
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
Should I dare ask the obvious?

I heard that changes were a happen'en. Then the interface goes down, the place is a state of demolition for 3 days. I assume that at least one lock in the canal was being dug. But when I finally could log back in what's changed?

Nothing.

I keep getting solicitations via email to go to the YSM training being held in my city. Soo what exactly are they going to teach me for the $350 admission fee?

YDP - Yahoo Disaster Preparedness?

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006   #16
jbgilbert
Old Timer

YahooSarah,
Up and running... yes. Working...... NO.
Added listings and they just disappeared!
Old 10-12-2006   #17
jbgilbert
Old Timer

When we try to modify listings (changing title, description AND URL) they get rejected and flagged as "duplicates".
Old 10-12-2006   #18
jbgilbert
Old Timer

Okay YahooSarah...

I've tried to communicate the issues... now what?
Old 10-12-2006   #19
YahooSarah
Official Representative (formerly OvertureRep)

YahooSarah is a glorious beacon of lightYahooSarah is a glorious beacon of lightYahooSarah is a glorious beacon of lightYahooSarah is a glorious beacon of lightYahooSarah is a glorious beacon of light
Jbgilbert- I hear our customer solutions team is working with you. Feel free to send me a private email if you have any further questions.

Thanks
YahooSarah
YahooSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006   #20
kandk

kandk is on a distinguished road
back up?

Looks like error messages are gone and I can check editorial status. For good measure I'm going to want a week before making any major changes. Good thing my boss is the wife and not angry clients.
kandk is offline   Reply With Quote