Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > SEM Related Organizations & Events
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2004   #1
rcjordan
There are a lot of truths out there. Just choose one that suits you. -Wes Allison

rcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to all
MODERATOR NOTE: This thread was split from List Groups Holding SEO Conferences & Tradeshows Here.

>I attended BarCon 1 in Irvine ...does that count?

Sure. If you've managed to survive that long, you deserve a beer at the Citte of Yorke.

> three professionals from this field sitting in a Denny's off of Route 66 constitutes a "conference"

That's been my experience. Some of the best let-me-talk-this-idea-through sessions are that way. The SEO events themselves are primarily for motivation and networking. I find that I don't get the time to go in-depth on the subjects I'm interested in while at the event, but I do pick up clues as to who might be in the know in that field and set up contact opportunities for use later.

re seoroadshow: We've been getting quite a few queries as to whether this is strictly a blackhat event --let's just say that we don't discriminate. We're as interested in the success of using a script to post blue pill links in blogs as we are the latest legitimate on-page seo. Either way, there's something to be learned.

Last edited by dannysullivan : 09-02-2004 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Added reference to original thread
rcjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004   #2
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Quote:
re seoroadshow: We've been getting quite a few queries as to whether this is strictly a blackhat event
No doubt because the event web site says in order to attend, "If you think you should have received an invite contact any well-known *****hat and have them speak to the management."

Seriously -- what's the deal on the show. Can anyone simply turn up or do you really need to have an invite?
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004   #3
NFFC
"One wants to have, you know, a little class." DianeV

NFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to behold
>If you think you should have received an invite contact any well-known *****hat

Same number of ***** for White or Black

>Seriously -- what's the deal on the show. Can anyone simply turn up or do you really need to have an invite?

Its an invite only event but in an inclusive way. The core invites were made initially from the organisers, initially to people they know and trust on a personal level. Those invitees can then invite others, which is what will be happening this week. Think Gmail as a model.

That way everybody who is there will have a "friend", nobody should feel left out and ultimately everybody "knows" everybody else, in a Kevin bacon kind of way.

>Can anyone simply turn up

Sure, as long as they know somebody who is there. Thats the other side of the invite coin, in some ways the inviter acts as the sponsor of their attendees and takes a certain level of responsilbilty for ensuring that everybody gets the best from the event.

Its not a conference as such, more a meeting of "friends", and in a link driven search landscape you need as many friends as you can get.
NFFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004   #4
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
I wish seoroadshow was on a different day.

Looks like it will be loads of fun.

Nothing like hanging out with SEOs. This way we can have real life like boxing matches, instead of this virtual stuff.

Last edited by rustybrick : 08-31-2004 at 01:15 PM. Reason: changed "it" to "seoroadshow"
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004   #5
WilliamC
Your Competitions Edge

WilliamC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybrick
I wish seoroadshow was on a different day.

Looks like it will be loads of fun.

Nothing like hanging out with SEOs. This way we can have real life like boxing matches, instead of this virtual stuff.
Too true
WilliamC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004   #6
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
yes, but in real life, those very same SEOs/webmasters with differences of opinion debate them in a professional way, rather than dipping below the belt.
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004   #7
Jill Whalen
SEO Consulting

Jill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really nice
Will this be coming to other cities in the future? And if so, who would I have to sleep with to get my invite?

Last edited by Jill Whalen : 08-31-2004 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Chose a better smilie.
Jill Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004   #8
Joseph Morin

Joseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of light
That would be me...

wait what was this about again?
Joseph Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004   #9
Jill Whalen
SEO Consulting

Jill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really nice
Oh please, Joe. For you, I'd have to get in line. Don't think I don't notice all the babes hangin' with you at every conference!
Old 08-31-2004   #10
Joseph Morin

Joseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of light
ROFLMAO

Thats just my 'network'
Joseph Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004   #11
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisabeth
yes, but in real life, those very same SEOs/webmasters with differences of opinion debate them in a professional way, rather than dipping below the belt.
Even when drunk?
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004   #12
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Even when drunk?
Ok, ok... so there was that one fistfight recently....

But, it WAS the first one one I've seen or heard of at a seo/webmaster conference.
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004   #13
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Quote:

But, it WAS the first one one I've seen or heard of at a seo/webmaster conference.
I try to keep a can of mace on me just in case
Old 09-01-2004   #14
Dodger
Honorary Member

Dodger has a spectacular aura aboutDodger has a spectacular aura aboutDodger has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by seobook
I try to keep a can of mace on me just in case
I hope you don't hit below the belt with that stuff!

Quote:
SEOroadshow.com - be there, or be square...
Does your tagline constitute an invite Aaron?

If so, don't tell anyone ... I got some sleeping around to do first!
Old 09-01-2004   #15
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Does your tagline constitute an invite Aaron?
actually it is more of an indication that I am square
Old 09-01-2004   #16
WilliamC
Your Competitions Edge

WilliamC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That is because most of them are only he-men on the boards. Personally I think it would be fun to setup some sanctioned boxing matches between some SEO's
WilliamC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004   #17
seobook
I'm blogging this

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamC
That is because most of them are only he-men on the boards.
Personally I think it would be fun to setup some sanctioned boxing matches between some SEO's
we all have our own strengths
Old 09-01-2004   #18
Jill Whalen
SEO Consulting

Cool

Quote:
Really? I didn't hear about that!

Were they fighting over you?
Old 09-01-2004   #19
Affiliate Program Manager

Affiliate Program Manager is on a distinguished road
Fight in San Jose?

Are we talking about a fight during a radio interview?
Affiliate Program Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004   #20
rcjordan
There are a lot of truths out there. Just choose one that suits you. -Wes Allison

rcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysullivan
No doubt because the event web site says in order to attend, "If you think you should have received an invite contact any well-known *****hat and have them speak to the management."

Seriously -- what's the deal on the show. Can anyone simply turn up or do you really need to have an invite?
>Same number of ***** for White or Black

Oh Danny, now you've gone and hurt my feelings by making the assumption that ***** = black. I may never get over being publicly maligned in the industry's top forum, you know how sensitive I am, hhh!

Well, I guess you could turn up on the doorstep (hey, Salisbury isn't all that far away) and count on getting in on your rep, but let me be be gracious and formally invite you to join us.
rcjordan is offline   Reply With Quote