Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Vertical Markets & Specialty Search > Local Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2006   #1
earlpearl
earlpearl

earlpearl is on a distinguished road
Tell us about SES Local

I'm dying to hear how it went and what was discussed. Look forward to comments.

Dave
earlpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006   #2
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
Just got home a little while ago. So while i'm catching up with everything else, I'll give you this short recap, which i know isn't rustybrick worthy - (I didn't take any notes):

Turnout for SES Local was fantastic -well above expectations for our first vertical show. The sessions were often standing room only.

Chris Sherman, as usual, did an excellent job of putting together the session content, with high-level speakers and engaging presentations.
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006   #3
Chris Sherman
Executive Editor, SearchEngineWatch.com

Chris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the rough
Even though I'm biased, I thoroughly enjoyed the show - lots of new material, lots of good learning and networking with people who are already heavily steeped in local search, both via search engines and online yellow pages.

And it was great to have a "hometown" show in Denver - autumn is in full swing here and it's a glorious Colorado fall.
Chris Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006   #4
denverseo

denverseo is on a distinguished road
Awesome SES Local conference

The show was fantastic. The speakers were all excellent and Chris and Greg id a great job as moderators. I have some notes posted from a few sessions on my blog

http://www.miketheinternetguy.com/bl...ory/ses-local/

If you have any other specific questions on sessions I would be happy to answer them if I can
denverseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006   #5
Christine

Christine will become famous soon enoughChristine will become famous soon enough
Loved the show AND the location

Just saw this thread or Id have commented earlier. (Confession: Ive been taking advantage of Colorado at peak leaf season and been doing some hiking and amateur photography. This is my first time back near a computer since the conference.)

The conference was fantastic. Id declare it one of the best conferences Ive been to in a long time. I heard it sold out, but it still had the friendly personal feel of the earlier SES conferences when you were able to talk with almost everyone attending the conference. The sessions were excellent. Local search is one of the fastest moving segments of search so it was really helpful to be able to talk directly with the people making the changes.

Mike the internet guy- thanks for taking notes. Great job there.

Christine Churchill
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006   #6
denverseo

denverseo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine
Just saw this thread or Id have commented earlier. (Confession: Ive been taking advantage of Colorado at peak leaf season and been doing some hiking and amateur photography. This is my first time back near a computer since the conference.)

The conference was fantastic. Id declare it one of the best conferences Ive been to in a long time. I heard it sold out, but it still had the friendly personal feel of the earlier SES conferences when you were able to talk with almost everyone attending the conference. The sessions were excellent. Local search is one of the fastest moving segments of search so it was really helpful to be able to talk directly with the people making the changes.

Mike the internet guy- thanks for taking notes. Great job there.

Christine Churchill
Christine,
I really enjoyed your presentation as I mentioned to you at the show! You really got into some meat which was great! Send me an email if you are in the Summit County area as that is where I am this weekend as well. I am glad you are enjoying beautiful Colorado!
denverseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #7
earlpearl
earlpearl

Are there reviews of the sessions?
Old 10-05-2006   #8
earlpearl
earlpearl

jeesh! 600 views and no reviews. I know there are a couple elsewhere and I'll take the time to reference them....but it looks like there is interest in the conference!

It would be neat to get commentary here.

Dave
Old 10-05-2006   #9
Mary Bowling

Mary Bowling will become famous soon enough
Local Confernence in Denver

I consider myself pretty savvy on Local Search, but was amazed at the amount of great new information presented at this conference.

The caliber of the speakers was outstanding and covered a wide range of knowledge and expertise. The session on the Convergence of Local and Mobile Search was truly astounding, with the movers and shakers in that field giving us a glimpse of where future opportunities may lie.

The top 10 insights I took away from the conference are:
1. The search engines are committed to fully integrating Local Search into the regular SERPs. Searchers want it and the SE's are figuring out how to deliver it according to the searcher's intent.

2. On the SEM side, we must give the SE's the information they need to decide if our pages contain what the searcher is looking for. Optimizing for Local Search is all about information.

3. Local Search will be very, very social. The SE's are building tools that enable personalization, customization, interaction and opinions. The online communities will figure out the best ways to use them.

4. Most of the Local Search communities are self regulating and you shouldn't try to game them. Participate, but don't manipulate.

5. Local Search algorithms will depend upon distance (from the searcher), content and ratings. The thing being searched for will determine the weighting of these factors.

6. Paid advertising will continue to be available for those willing to buy their way to the top of Local SERPs.

7. Local Search is a huge piece of the personalization of search.

8. Advances in geo-locating searchers will play a huge part in future search.

9. Mobile Search will likely become the ultimate convergence of personalized, localized, socially-influenced search.

10. Early adopters will disproportionately reap the rewards of learning how to make Local Search work for their clients and themselves.
Mary Bowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006   #10
earlpearl
earlpearl

Lots of great insights. Thank you very much.