Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2006   #1
rockcoastmedia

rockcoastmedia has a spectacular aura aboutrockcoastmedia has a spectacular aura aboutrockcoastmedia has a spectacular aura about
AJAX vs. iFrames

I know that frames are a big no-no when it comes to SEO. However, how does AJAX differ from an iFrame. If I wanted to have a section of my page refresh with new content on click, but not reload the whole page, or go to an outside web site, is AJAX a good solution?
rockcoastmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006   #2
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
AJAX is kind of like Flash - it looks and acts kind of like a webpage, but it's actually a program. As such, it's not search-friendly.

Like Flash, there are methods to make parts of it show up, or to provide alternative content. Also like Flash, much of it's functionality is based on the operation of scripting (which search engines don't do) and streaming (which is based on the operation of scripts).

In short, almost all of the objections to Flash apply to AJAX, even though they are very different in other ways. Of course, many of the benefits (engaging, useful, etc) also apply.

An iFrame is actually a separate webpage, so it's often also problem, but a completely different one.

Bottom line, you have to plan ahead and provide alternative methods to show content with AJAX and Flash, or build your site assuming they are invisible and designing the site to compensate in other ways.

I love both AJAX and Flash, properly used. But as a marketer, not as an SEO

One possible answer to your issue is through the use of CSS activated via scripting. The content would be hidden until needed, but in the absence of scripting (which is what a search engine would see), all the content would be displayed. Test it in a text only browser to see.

This only works for some scenarios, of course. Another thing to think about is that often some content is not necessarily needed to be refreshed or dynamic - so you make that static, and only refresh the remainder (an example would be like a stock quote - make the rest of the page static, and only refresh the quotes - they won't get indexed, but everything else will). In short, a blended HTML/Flash or AJAX or iFrame page.

Ian

Last edited by mcanerin : 09-21-2006 at 01:23 PM.
mcanerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006   #3
rockcoastmedia

rockcoastmedia has a spectacular aura aboutrockcoastmedia has a spectacular aura aboutrockcoastmedia has a spectacular aura about
thanks

Ian,

Thanks for your feedback. Your last suggestion is actaully what I had in mind. Basicly, having a static page, but one that has an area for AJAX to refresh content, such as message of the day, which can be archived.
Old 09-21-2006   #4
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
If you want the message of the day (or similar types of things) to be archived, then I would suggest that it happen via server-side scripting (ie php, perl, etc), not browser-side (ie javascript, AJAX, etc).

As long as the change happens before the page is displayed, the search engine will treat it as content. But it won't run any code that is on your page after it's been loaded into a browser.

Ian
Old 09-25-2006   #5
anevelos

Seems IFrame may be better for Natural Search

From Wikipedia:
Web applications that utilise Ajax may break the expected behavior of the browser's back button. The difference between returning to a previous state of the current, dynamically modified page versus going back to a previous static page might be a subtle one; but users generally expect that clicking the back button in web applications will move their browser to the last page it loaded, and in Ajax applications this might not be the case.

Developers have implemented various solutions to this problem. These solutions can involve using invisible IFRAMEs to invoke changes that populate the history used by a browser's back button. Google Maps, for example, performs searches in an invisible IFRAME and then pulls results back into an element on the visible web page. The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) did not include an iframe element in its XHTML 1.1 Recommendation; the Consortium recommends the object element instead.

Another issue is that dynamic web page updates make it difficult for a user to bookmark a particular state of the application. Solutions to this problem exist, many of which use the URL fragment identifier (the portion of a URL after the '#' [7] [8]) to keep track of, and allow users to return to, the application in a given state. This is possible because many browsers allow JavaScript to update the fragment identifier of the URL dynamically, so that Ajax applications can maintain it as the user changes the application's state. This solution also improves back-button support. It is, however, not a complete solution.
Old 09-27-2006   #6
readerstuff

readerstuff is on a distinguished road
Question

does any body tell me what is AJAx mean and how to use it, i m new comer please help me i m confuse. i like to use it in my site.

Last edited by mcanerin : 09-27-2006 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Delinked.
readerstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006   #7
mcanerin

AJAX stands for Asynchronous JavaScript and XML. It's a method by when you can create an interactive webpage without the page needing to refresh everytime a change has been made to it.

It's very nifty stuff, and since it's just several known methods all working together, you don't need new plugins or updates or anything - just a modern browser.

Many of Google's products, such as Google Maps, Gmail, and so forth use AJAX.

More information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_%28programming%29

Ian
Old 09-27-2006   #8
rockcoastmedia

AJAX is...

AJAX is a combination of .CSS, JavaScript and XHTML. It allows you to interact with XML files to populate data in a much quicker time frame, where the entire page does not need to refresh. It has many of the advantages of Flash, but where some text can be indexed (at least if there is text on page load). There is also the ability to use what is called the AJAX Moo show, which allows you to create slick drop down menues.

One nice example I saw recently, was at this site where you click on the photos about 1/3 of the way down the page and a flash like pop up occurs, but it is all AJAX.
Old 09-28-2006   #9
Northwind

Northwind is on a distinguished road
AJAX performance

Also, keep in mind that much of the base script and possibly some objects are loaded with an AJAX page with subsequent content loaded after the initial load. This means more content can be delivered to the user in an interactive fashion, but its not a panacea for initial page load time, which has a direct impact on the user.

NW,
Northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006   #10
readerstuff

readerstuff is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcanerin
AJAX stands for Asynchronous JavaScript and XML. It's a method by when you can create an interactive webpage without the page needing to refresh everytime a change has been made to it.

More information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_%28programming%29

Ian
Thank a lot for your guide. It is really interesting thing for me. I like to study it more deeply. Can you people give me some more AJAX tutorial links..
readerstuff is offline   Reply With Quote