Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2006   #1
Phoenix

Phoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nice
Google Glitch Or SEO Hack Of the #1 Result?

Found this odd result this morning while doing some research for a client. The #1 result (screenshot below) displays an "according to" link and a "more resources" link where the cache or similiar pages should be. It also displays a larger font size description than normal. It looks pretty bad in my opinion. I wanted to see if anyone had any idea how this site accomplished this or whether it was just an odd blip? I was talking with Barry and Chris earlier about it and it doesn't appear to be a OneBox result or some kind of sitelink. The "According to:" seems to be the key to why this is happening. I vaguely remember seeing this somewhere else, but can't remember when or of what.

To see the odd results do a search in Google for "dating services sites" no quotes.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #2
dyn4mik3
Michael Nguyen

dyn4mik3 is on a distinguished road
Isn't this just Google's QA feature?

From Google:
Quote:
Q&A

Want to know the population of Japan? What currency is used in Algeria? The birthplace of Bono? Hit us with a fact-based question or query (like "population of Japan") by typing it into the Google search box. We'll search the web and display the answer at the top of your search results page. We also link to our source for this information so that you can learn even more.
dyn4mik3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006   #3
Phoenix

Phoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nice
Yeah your right. But how does this search for "dating services sites" answer any question?
Old 09-18-2006   #4
dyn4mik3
Michael Nguyen

dyn4mik3 is on a distinguished road
No idea - Google probably needs to keep tweaking this one.

Check the result for "Religious Dating Sites". Google QA gives you a result from a site that is all supplemental. The site can't even rank for it's own name. But it gets a #1 ranking through Google QA.

Anyone have a list of known Google QA inclusion factors?
dyn4mik3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #5
Phoenix

Well its appears this was a glitch I found.

Matt Cutts checked this out and commented on SEroundtable with the following:
Quote:
I checked into this, and it was an issue in the Onebox extractor code. I think it's fixed now; thanks for mentioning this.
If you check the results now for "dating services sites" its back to normal and looks quite a bit different.
Old 09-26-2006   #6
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
So a bug in the code or was this some sort of loophole a smart SEO discovered?
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006   #7
ilya123

New OneBox spam example?

I just found what appears to be another example of a OneBox hack. Details and screenshot on my blog ilya123.blogspot.com

Last edited by evilgreenmonkey : 10-13-2006 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Removed active link