Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > Search Industry Growth & Trends
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2006   #1
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Danny Sullivan To Leave SEW & SES

Danny has just posted information of his departure from SEW and SES. The bulk of the info is at http://daggle.com/060829-112950.html (Danny's personal blog).

Quote:
After ten years, I'm leaving Search Engine Watch and almost certainly leaving the Search Engine Strategies conference series as well. My contracts with their owners Incisive Media are expiring, and we've not been able to agree on new ones.
(1) I am confident Danny will have huge success in whatever he pursues in the future.
(2) I am uncertain what will happen to SEW & SES in the future
(3) I am uncertain how this will impact the industry as a whole

Danny will be answering questions at his personal blog on this.

Last edited by rustybrick : 08-29-2006 at 08:12 AM.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #2
gabs

gabs is on a distinguished road
wow... All change ahead ...
gabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #3
PhilC

PhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud of
It's really bad news for the search engine related community. I can fully understand his reason for departing though. It has me wondering about a number of things....

To most people (I think), including me, Danny *is* SEW and SES, and I wonder what will happen to them now.

1. Will the mod expertise here, that makes this the best seo forum (imo) depart? If they do, I think the forum is likely to become just another small forum.

2. I think the SES events will continue to be successful, but what would happen if Danny started his own events? hmm...

3. I wonder if the newsletter will take a dive because the main man isn't writing it any more.

4. I wonder if we'll see Danny start all over again with another newsletter.

Danny, if you read this thread, all the very best in whatever direction you choose.

Quote:
(3) I am uncertain how this will impact the industry as a whole
It won't impact the industry as a whole at all. It may have a big impact on SEW, a lesser impact on SES, and possibly a crippling impact on the forum, but that would depend on what the mods do. There's a lot of expertise in the mods here, and in a wide range of areas. They are now the key to what happens with this place, imo.

Last edited by PhilC : 08-29-2006 at 10:17 AM.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #4
BKCB

BKCB is on a distinguished road
"Incisive" Choice Is Not Well Thought Out !

Does Incisive Media realize the complete cost of replacing Danny?

Danny's post on "What's Your SEO Daily Routine?" is only a small indication of the persistent, consistent dedication and passion he has:
http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/...7&postcount=15

I'm actually happy for Danny making his decision, as I believe this will all work out most beneficially for him in many ways.
BKCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #5
glengara

glengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud of
*After over a year of talks, that's failed to materialize.*

Sounds like they've incisively shot themselves in the foot...
glengara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #6
rcjordan
There are a lot of truths out there. Just choose one that suits you. -Wes Allison

rcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to all
I wonder who drafted the Non-compete a year ago?
rcjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #7
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
To most people (I think), including me, Danny *is* SEW and SES
Yes, Danny *is* SEW and I'm dumbfounded by this.

Danny *is* the branding, both as an individual and in connection with SEW and always has been, but his personal branding and reputation will stay with him, not with what he's created here. And so will people who admire and respect him stay with him.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #8
PhilC

PhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia
Danny *is* the branding, both as an individual and in connection with SEW and always has been, but his personal branding and reputation will stay with him, not with what he's created here. And so will people who admire and respect him stay with him.
That's what I was thinking, Marcia. I've never wanted to attend an SES event, and I've never subscribed to the paid part of SEW, but what makes this forum the best of its kind is the expertise in the mods (and the fact that threads don't get swamped). If they leave, perhaps to start something else, and perhaps out of loyalty, this place would have little value, imo. But if the mods stay, I've no doubt that the forum will continue to be the best of its kind. It will miss Danny's posts a lot though - maybe he'll be a mod
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #9
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
Well Danny has expressed an interest in sticking around and posting here. I think having him as a Moderator would be awesome.
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #10
Webvisitor

Webvisitor will become famous soon enough
The writing was on the wall when Danny wrote on his 10 years in the industry piece a few months ago. Incisive obviously didn't understand then and don't now.
Good for Danny however. His brand as a stand alone is very powerful. Few in any industry have the power he currently possess in this one.

If I were Barry Diller or Bill Gates I would pony up some major bucks to get him on board if only for a year or two. Imagine the attention that would invite.
Good fortunes to you Danny, thanks for what you have done here!
Webvisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #11
Chris_D

Chris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud of
I'm still gobsmacked.

Thanks for everything you've done for all of us Danny.
Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #12
FreeAgent

FreeAgent will become famous soon enough
If Danny goes we should all go on a SEW / SES strike.

I will start making some pickets.
FreeAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #13
gabs

gabs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAgent
If Danny goes we should all go on a SEW / SES strike.

I will start making some pickets.
Reminds of the what happened @ that other forum SEOC ?
gabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #14
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
Like many of you, or maybe even more so, I am so sad to see danny 'leave' SEW/SES.

I feel so lucky that I have now had the honor & pleasure of starting the SEW Forums alongside Danny, first as contracted Admin, now as an employee, under his direction. Not many people can say that.

I would like to think that the forums themselves have not just prospered because of him, but because of his overall vision, fair and balanced reporting. The level of professionalism that has brought to the site and the forums is undeniable.

I feel that my time in this biz has been mentored by that type of thinking, since 1999 when I first started reading SEW. So it's always been my goal to follow and maintain Danny's high standards.

So, I personally feel that the overall tone here at the Forums would not/should not change because of his 'departure'.

And no one ever said he wouldn't be around to post.
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #15
David Wallace

David Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to behold
All I can say is wow! SEW will certainly not be the same without Danny. Danny however will still be Danny.

Incisive really stands to lose here because we all know very well that Danny "is" SEW. That is not to discredit everyone else who works for SEW - Elisabeth in her superb job of managing the forums, Chris Sherman in overseeing SearchDay, people behind the scenes like Karen Deweese who puts so much work into making Search Engine Strategies happen, and then correspondents - Phil Bradley, Jennifer Slegg, Detlev Johnson, Greg Sterling, Bill Slawski, Brian Smith and last but certainly not least, Barry Schwartz whose contributions are many.

I think the SEW forum will continue to do well because it is made up of so many personalities that contribute to its success.

Not to sure what the future holds for the Search Engine Watch site in general and especially the Search Engine Strategies conferences. Danny as a contributor as well as a figurehead will be hard to replace.

Thanks for giving us Search Engine Watch, Danny. It is and always will be your creation. Best success to you as you turn another page and enter a new chapter in your life and career. We are all behind you wherever you venture off to next.
David Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #16
imnotadoctor
But I do know something! www.imnotadoctor.com

imnotadoctor is on a distinguished road
Said Day at SEW

Today is a sad day to me. Being only in the SEO/SEM game for about a year he was the first name I came to respect.

Best of luck to ya!
imnotadoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #17
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wallace
Incisive really stands to lose here because we all know very well that Danny "is" SEW. That is not to discredit everyone else who works for SEW - Elisabeth in her superb job of managing the forums, Chris Sherman in overseeing SearchDay, people behind the scenes like Karen Deweese who puts so much work into making Search Engine Strategies happen, and then correspondents - Phil Bradley, Jennifer Slegg, Detlev Johnson, Greg Sterling, Bill Slawski, Brian Smith and last but certainly not least, Barry Schwartz whose contributions are many.
I really do think this needs to be highlighted. The team Danny has put together, and really grown over the last year in particular, has helped SEW (and SES) to manage growth.

Afterall, danny is not superhuman (i know that's a shocker too) and could not simply get everything done on his own. But that's also one more credit to him - bringing in the best of the best.
Old 08-29-2006   #18
Elisabeth

Just to add to that, on the topic of SES, yes, there's tons of logistical work behind the scenes, but let's not forget that Chris Sherman is the editorial organizer for other SES shows, Toronto, London, Local, etc.
Old 08-29-2006   #19
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
I could go on and on about all the experience, postings, help, and insight Danny provides, but we all know this from first hand experience.

In a bigger picture, Danny is not just THE leader of the SEM community he is what galvanizes us into a strong force which can be used to help influence change in the SEM industry. Without this leader clearly among us, here at SEW, we will certainly lose our voice and leverage.

We also know that Danny is not going to retire into some pub and knock back Ps and Q's for the rest of his days. Like all of us, he has an unstoppable entrepreneurial desire. The next project is always a bigger and better one. I have no knowledge of what Danny may do next, but I do believe whatever it is, it will overtake all that Incisive Media may offer. I don't wish ill will on this forum or on Incisive, however it just seems logical that where ever Danny goes so goes the people that respect him.

Danny I wish you the best and I can't wait to see what's coming next.

(Please don't tell me it will happen in Q4!!!!)

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #20
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Quote:
And no one ever said he wouldn't be around to post.
Indeed. As I said in a post to our moderators, the Search Engine Watch Forums have been a home to me for the past two years in terms of discussions. When I leave, I probably won't participate as much, simply because -- well -- I guess I'll have to find some other work to do But as much as possible, I'll still want to take part in the conversations here as I do in many places. I really hope for the best for the forums and of course Elisabeth and Chris, as they stay here (or in whatever they do in the future).
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote