Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2006   #1
glengara

glengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud of
SEO in the Sunday Times...

From the Small Business section of the Irish edition, not a bad article, and the first time I've seen it covered in the Irish press outside IT/Web articles...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspap...320062,00.html
glengara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #2
randfish

randfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to all
That is a very sad article - woefully inaccurate in many places and misleading in others.
randfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #3
glengara

glengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud of
Forget the accuracy of the article, I've yet to read an "accurate" article on SEO in the mainstream press.

It's in a mainstream section of a mainstream publication that is the salient point.

Last edited by glengara : 08-21-2006 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-21-2006   #4
caugas
Trance/Dance Music makes the world move faster

caugas is a jewel in the roughcaugas is a jewel in the roughcaugas is a jewel in the roughcaugas is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by randfish
That is a very sad article - woefully inaccurate in many places and misleading in others.
Very misleading.....
caugas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006   #5
glengara

Excellent, why don't we all focus on the irrelevant point...
Old 08-22-2006   #6
mugshot

mugshot is on a distinguished road
I'd prefer the media not covering SEO than covering it with complete ignorance.
mugshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #7
MattUK

MattUK is on a distinguished road
True, it's good to see us getting some press and raising awareness of the industry. It's always the danger when someone reads something misleading and things that they'll "have a go".
SEO really is the best example of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing.
MattUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #8
mugshot

Although...that does reduce the "true" competition
Old 08-22-2006   #9
MattUK

To an extent, though the number of people that are put off SEO because of the scam artists and bad SEOs around is frightening
Old 08-22-2006   #10
mugshot

SEO is not any different (in terms of business conduct and operations) like any other services. There are good ones, so-so ones, then those that give the service a bad name. THat's too bad but to stand out as a good SEO requires more work these days compared to years back...
Old 08-22-2006   #11
cindym

SEO in News - LA Times Article

I and my SEO client were recently interviewed for a LA Times Article involving SEO - and I have to confess I held my breath until the piece came out due to all the bad information out there.

However in their defense, I think the LA reporter did a stellar job in sharing the benefits - and how it helped a small business grow to $4 million in sales last year. (OK, admittably there was a little confusion on research she did on how to actually optimize and keyword density in one line.) We as an industry need to help set the record straight and share what it's doing for businesses today.

You can find the article here:
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...7897743.column

(Requires you to be registered w/Times).
Old 08-23-2006   #12
MattUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugshot
SEO is not any different (in terms of business conduct and operations) like any other services. There are good ones, so-so ones, then those that give the service a bad name. THat's too bad but to stand out as a good SEO requires more work these days compared to years back...
The problem is that as it's a relatively new disipline there are not many who understand it even among marketing managers. Sometimes is more difficult to explain things to someone who has half an idea than no idea at all. I recently had a client who has been told that links were bad and you could get penalised for them! It took a while to explain the difference between IBLs, OBLs and recipricols, what each of them did and how they affected a site.
Old 08-30-2006   #13
kevingibbons

kevingibbons is on a distinguished road
That article looks like it was written 10 years ago!
kevingibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006   #14
egain

egain is on a distinguished road
Doesnt it just, so much of the information is either out of date, or woefully inadequate
egain is offline   Reply With Quote