Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2006   #1
2forgiveisdivine

2forgiveisdivine is on a distinguished road
What 5 areas would you......

....first examine if you were asked to perform a SEO to a particular web site and/or 5 areas you think have the greatest influence in SEO??

Any and all answers/feedback are appreciated.

Thanks and God bless.

Last edited by 2forgiveisdivine : 08-16-2006 at 06:30 AM.
2forgiveisdivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006   #2
Sebastien Billard
French SEO blogger and consultant

Sebastien Billard will become famous soon enough
1- Spider blocking content : javascript, Flash, robots.txt...
2- <Titles> elements
3- Text content : quantity, quality of copywriting...
4- Website structure : internal linking scheme, semantic markup...
5- External SEO : quality and quantity of links, anchor used...
Sebastien Billard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006   #3
PuneetJvw

PuneetJvw is on a distinguished road
Nice answer Sebastien.

I would check Html code first before all those 5 things.

Regards/Puneet M.
PuneetJvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006   #4
MattUK

MattUK is on a distinguished road
1. Keyword targeteing
2. Site usablity - links, sitemap, HTML etc
3. On page factors, titles, content, tags
4. Internal link strurcture
5. External links to the site
MattUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006   #5
2forgiveisdivine

yo guys, ty for the feedback...and taking the time to state your opinion.....

keep them coming....God bless =)
Old 08-17-2006   #6
jackson992

jackson992 has a spectacular aura aboutjackson992 has a spectacular aura aboutjackson992 has a spectacular aura about
I'm actually surprised links isn't the very first thing you guys mentioned. I think that is the most important and following that content. Coding has nothing to do with rankings as stated by Matt on the Google videos.
jackson992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006   #7
2forgiveisdivine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson992
I'm actually surprised links isn't the very first thing you guys mentioned. I think that is the most important and following that content. Coding has nothing to do with rankings as stated by Matt on the Google videos.
Ive done some serious research the past couple days to catch up on the everchanging world of SEO.....and you are right jackson.... INBOUND LINKS seems to be the one that is consistently mentioned as the most important by all the sources I have read so far.

again, ty for taking the time to read and post

late.
Old 08-18-2006   #8
thegypsy

thegypsy is on a distinguished road
Yes..before we do anything we establish a clients current Link Profile.
It's NUMBER ONE. All the SEO in the world won't help a site with a bad Link Profile...

So good call IMHO

Next?

See what Keyword research has been done and look at competitiveness of the terms

Find and empirical data on hand to see past performance.

SEF URLS.. yes? Or no?

Page Titles and internal linking structure

Site Map?

How’s that for a different flavor on the post…? Thought it might give a new direction of 2…. And NO the code won’t help you. Leave it.
thegypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #9
lemmybrown

lemmybrown is on a distinguished road
Coding

Quote:
Is it not true that if the textual content of a page appears last in the source code after billions of nested tables, the spiders may give up reading the page before they get to the content?
lemmybrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #10
Sebastien Billard
French SEO blogger and consultant

Sebastien Billard will become famous soon enough
Links loose a lot of value if your content is not spiderable. And good content is more efficient at generating quality links. This is why I mentionned links after content optimization
Sebastien Billard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006   #11
jackson992

jackson992 has a spectacular aura aboutjackson992 has a spectacular aura aboutjackson992 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmybrown
Is it not true that if the textual content of a page appears last in the source code after billions of nested tables, the spiders may give up reading the page before they get to the content?
Not true at all
jackson992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006   #12
ontarget

5 things

I'd agree with Sebastien that spiderability/ crawlability of a site is one of the most critical aspects (afterall, it is not the home page alone that one is trying to optimize).
* Make a site user friendly (from a navigation perspective) & spiderable (search engine friendly), so that a robot get through to all the pages
* Write good, relevant content for each page
* Write proper title tags defining what the page is about
* Build in-bound links
* Keep the website fresh with reasonably regular updates
Old 08-21-2006   #13
halcyon999

halcyon999 is on a distinguished road
Back to Basics.

Hi -

Personally, I'd start with what I see as the basics -

1 - I'd check for spam/blackhat stuff - obvious things like keyword stuffing, hidden text/redirects/cloaking. All the nasties you hear of, anything negative which may harm ranking.
2 - Then I'd make sure the content was right. Ensuring it was good for the visitor, readable, engaging and informative. Even basics like spelling and grammar would be worth checking in my (humble!) opinion.
3 - Tags - I know some people say they're useless for SE's - but at least for the user they may be useful and still get used for the description lines in a lot of SE's. So I'd check Title, Keywords, Description to make sure they were all concise, on-topic and not over bloated.
4 - Links - then I'd start looking at links - a) your internal link structure/anchor text etc, and b) how to garner them from other websites.
5 - Other promotion/marketing - such as articles, press releases, offline stuff maybe. Depends on the site, but there's a whole raft of stuff to consider to get the word out about the site you're working for.

HTH,
Darren
halcyon999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #14
MattUK

Quote:
Agree that links are the most important factor when hitting the more competitive keyphrases, though when examining a site they aren't the first thing I look at. On page factors are more easily fixed and can bring more instant results. External linking id something I look at over a longer timeframe, it isn't something that can be fixed in a day, week or even a month.
Old 08-22-2006   #15
thegypsy

thegypsy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK
Agree that links are the most important factor when hitting the more competitive keyphrases, though when examining a site they aren't the first thing I look at. On page factors are more easily fixed and can bring more instant results. External linking id something I look at over a longer timeframe, it isn't something that can be fixed in a day, week or even a month.
Sure, but if it's a nasty Link Profile, all of the On-page work in the world won't save the site...?
thegypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #16
MattUK

True, but as I said, a nasty link profile can take months to sort out. The list isn't in order of influence, but in the order that I look at them in. I'm not saying don't look at the links, but there are other things I'd do first.
Old 08-22-2006   #17
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of