Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2006   #1
stacywms

stacywms will become famous soon enoughstacywms will become famous soon enough
AdWords in Google Maps

Hello, everyone!

Sometimes when I do a search using a local-type term in Google, the AdWords ads are different in the main results as compared to the Maps results (example: "chiropractor atlanta"). I expect this, because I've read that you can't run ads in Maps until you're listed in Google's local editorial results. Which tells me the two sets of ads are pulled from different databases.

But often when I do another, similar search (example: "plumber atlanta"), the AdWords ads in the main results are nearly identical to those in the Maps results. This seems to be happening more often with larger advertisers (like Roto Rooter and Kudzu.com). Maybe they're "special" (in Google's eyes, anyway)?

If anyone has any insight on this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Stacy Williams
Prominent Placement
stacywms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #2
stacywms

stacywms will become famous soon enoughstacywms will become famous soon enough
Still fiddling with these local searches tonight and found similar results on Yahoo (that seem to contradict what they've published about how their Local PPC ads work). That thread is here: http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/...8636#post88636.
stacywms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006   #3
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Maybe it has to do with "chiropractor" resulting in a "did you mean?" which doesn't make much sense to me...
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006   #4
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of
I'm lucky enough to sit near just the right folks to ask about this - and heard back a short time ago.

Quoting from their response:

Quote:
Google Maps is part of the Google AdWords search network, so advertisers must opt their campaigns into the search network in order to have their ads be eligible to appear on Google Maps. This option leads to some differences in the ads that appear on Google.com versus on Google Maps. In addition, users explicitly search in a certain geographic area when using Google Maps; we use this geographic information to target the ads on Google Maps instead of a user's IP address, which is used on Google.com. Therefore, no matter where a user is physically located, if she is searching for "restaurant Denver", we will show nationally targeted ads as well as regionally-targeted for Denver that target the word "restaurant."

Displaying text ads on Google Maps does not require that the advertising business' local listing show up organically in Google Maps. However, if you want to use Local Business Ads on Google Maps where the ad appears graphically on the map itself, we do require you to have an organic listing with us. To add a local listing, businesses should go to the Local Business Center (http://www.google.com/local/add/).
Hope that helps to clarify things.

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006   #5
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
That works - Thanks AWR!
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote