Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Other Google Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2004   #1
garyp

garyp is a jewel in the roughgaryp is a jewel in the roughgaryp is a jewel in the roughgaryp is a jewel in the rough
How About a Google Web Browser?

The Google Browser
Kottke.org
http://www.kottke.org/04/08/the-google-browser

Jason Kottke thinks it's a very good idea.

Quote:
Google could use their JavaScript expertise (in the form of Gmail ubercoder Chris Wetherell) to build Mozilla applications. Built-in blogging tools. Built-in Gmail tools. Built-in search tools. A search pane that watches what you're browsing and suggests related pages and search queries or watches what you're blogging and suggests related pages, news items, or emails you've written. Google Toolbar++. You get the idea.
garyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004   #2
hiero
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? --Vince Lombardi

hiero is on a distinguished road
[font=Arial]I for one would hate to see Google stretch themselves too thin in all different directions. Now that they have had a successful IPO I hope they stay the course and keep doing what has made them successful. Getting into the browser market could in the long run hurt their brand.[/font]
hiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004   #3
toprank
Lee Odden

toprank will become famous soon enoughtoprank will become famous soon enough
Google Browser

Gary, I was just posting about this. You're fast.

A Mozilla based Google Browser - now that would be very interesting to see. From Kottke.org
toprank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004   #4
St0n3y
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know.

St0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to all
I actually think that makes some sense. It is very easily related to search as that is what many do with their browsers anyway. heck, instead of a browser toolbar why not just have Yahoo, Google, Ask, etc. all create their own browsers? Could certainly make things interesting.
St0n3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004   #5
hiero

Yahoo actually has their own browser that comes with any SBC/Yahoo internet access account. I never used it, the interface isn't all that well organized. MSN comes with it's own browser also for anyone signing up with MSN Online.
Old 08-26-2004   #6
St0n3y
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know.

St0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to all
Yeah, I guess I know about the SBC/Yahoo browser. I actually hate that kind of clutter that comes with ISPs. But a well developed browser by the big SEs might be worth utilizing.

I find it odd that MSN would have a browser of their own. Isn't that what IE is for? Then again, there is a MSN messenger and a Windows messenger. An overlap that I find annoying.
St0n3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004   #7
hiero

Wink

It is odd that Microsoft would make an additional browser for MSN customers, but they have their butterfly icon all over it.That must be the reason. hehehe
Old 08-26-2004   #8
Dodger
Honorary Member

Dodger has a spectacular aura aboutDodger has a spectacular aura aboutDodger has a spectacular aura about
All those browsers are IE underneath. They just have it branded for their specific services. Earthlink's browser is IE also.

I don't think Google will go with an IE browser, if they decide to get into that game. Nor do I think they will get cheesy with a tricked-out JS version of Mozilla. Google has not (to date) relied on any outside company to promote their goods, they are dependant on nobody and will stay that way.

Google is slowly working it's way into the desktop. They have the search bar that resides on the taskbar, and now they have Gmail Alert. Gmail Alert will notify you when you have mail, plus the options for audio sounds on those alerts and to make Gmail your default mail client.

Piece by piece, Google is encroaching on Microsoft hallowed ground. With a couple of years before Longhorn is out -- they will be firmly entrenched in that desktop with several applications I reckon.

Browser, maybe -- but one of their own making. Google OS ??? Hmmmm.