Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Other Google Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2006   #1
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Problems Reaching Google From The UK

Anyone else having problems reaching Google or Google services from the UK? I and some other people have been having issues. I just did a blog post with a tiny bit of news, mainly to say Google's looking into it. If you're also having problems, feel free to share any details you think might be helpful to Google in this thread.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #2
alism

alism is on a distinguished road
I registered specifically to reply to this thread!

Yes, I've been having problems all evening! Can access the google.co.uk homepage, but it times out on searches.

Can't access google.com at all.
Can't access gmail.com at all.

Yes, I'm on BT Broadband...
alism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #3
sat31march1928

Got the same problems.

With BT Broadband.

I've got google analytics on my website's pages and get 'a waiting for message ...'

Can access

http://www.google.co.uk/

through IE but not using Firefox
Old 07-17-2006   #4
badboybart

badboybart is on a distinguished road
I'm with Orange (Wanadoo), all systems looking good here in Peterborough.
Gmail, Analytics, Site Maps all ok.

Cheers
badboybart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #5
alism

alism is on a distinguished road
Seem to be back up and running again now. Phew!
alism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #6
sg1

i registered just for this thread.

I'm having problems with Gmail as well through FF. But in IE, it seems fine.

My Google Analytics is fine in Firefox. I really hope someone figures this out.
Old 07-18-2006   #7
sem4u
Digital Marketer

sem4u is on a distinguished road
I use Pipex at home and didn't have any problems last night getting onto AdSense or Google search.
sem4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006   #8
johnbirch

johnbirch is on a distinguished road
Google problems on mobile too

I found yesterday evening that I could not call up any Google sites on my mobile - on O2, which, of course, used to be a BT network - and this morning I still can't.
johnbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006   #9
johnbirch

johnbirch is on a distinguished road
And I might add that Google Personal Page has had on and off problems for some time - but partlcularly in the last week when it will not display GMail.
johnbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006   #10
eperformance

problems with Google Analytics codes on my sites

Yes I'm having problems too - I can access the Google Analytics site but the GA/urchin *https* script is taking 12 seconds to load and holding up the rest of the page from loading!

We can live with it but not for long....

Last edited by eperformance : 08-17-2006 at 05:57 AM.
Old 01-28-2007   #11
jovian

jovian is on a distinguished road
Canada too

I know this thread is a little old, but when I came across the artical I was amazed at how it explained the exact same situation I was in... except, I live in Vancouver Canada.

Almost out of the blue I just was not able to access google. I thought I was going crazy it something was horribly wrong. However, a friend close by could access them fine, and I could even access google UK (though not google canada).

I used opera, firefox, and IE, but nothing could access the main site or the list given in the artical.

Really strange I must admit, but it does not appear like I am the only one with the problem.
jovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #12
evilgreenmonkey

evilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud of
The DNS resolvers of major ISPs often cache the IP address where domains point to for 2-3 days. This is why your web host says that it will take around 48 hours for everyone to see your new site, as not everyones ISP will instantly know the new IP address of your domain.

Google uses a self-healing network, consisting of layers of load balancing at both DNS and inner network level. One Google datacenter IP equals a load balancer with hundreds of thousands of grid servers behind it. When one of these grids gets put under strain or is taken out of the collective for maintenance, the DNS automatically starts pushing traffic to another grid. Not all ISPs will see this change in time and send traffic to a grid which has been taken out of action. This can be further complicated when the ISP's core routers peer directly with the Google network (saving bandwidth costs and TTL times) and have traffic paths/routes hardcoded into their router which may not catch up with changes at Google's end.

Well, that's how I see it anyway

Rob
evilgreenmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote