Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2006   #1
grasshopper

grasshopper will become famous soon enoughgrasshopper will become famous soon enough
Yahoo operators re-directing to Site Explorer

i use Yahoo! pretty much exclusively for checking link info. i've always found search.yahoo.com to deliver more accurate data than Site Explorer.

today, an interesting thing happened. i went to search.yahoo.com to run some queries, and site:, link:, and linkdomain: operators all re-directed me to Site Explorer. here was the message:

Quote:
Your "linkdomain:" query has been redirected to Site Explorer. You can continue to use normal web search for other queries.
i wondered if Yahoo had decided that all operator queries would go to Site Explorer from now on, so i had a few friends run queries from search.yahoo.com, and none of them were re-directed. so i cleared my cookies, tried again, and this time no re-direct to Site Explorer.

apparently Y! is interested in identifying "heavy users" of these operators, and funneling them to Site Explorer - maybe to reduce query data that they consider "clutter" in their regular search index? has anyone else seen this?
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #2
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
I know this was Yahoo's plan, but I don't see it when I try those commands at search.yahoo.com. I suspect your a test case.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #3
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Confirmed, Yahoo is testing this.

http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/060714-144430
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #4
TheotherTim
Official Y! Rep

TheotherTim will become famous soon enoughTheotherTim will become famous soon enough
Site Explorer counts

Site Explorer actually has more accurate counts on links than using search.yahoo.com so I would use this interface. We also have an API for Site Exporer which should make your querying easier if you are doing it on a larger scale.
Tim
TheotherTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006   #5
grasshopper

grasshopper will become famous soon enoughgrasshopper will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherTim
Site Explorer actually has more accurate counts on links than using search.yahoo.com so I would use this interface.
thanks for the reply, tim. could you give us any insight into what differences exist at the index level that would make data returned from search.yahoo.com less accurate?
Old 07-28-2006   #6
TheotherTim
Official Y! Rep

TheotherTim will become famous soon enoughTheotherTim will become famous soon enough
counts versus data

I actually said just the counts were more accurate- the data is the same. The counts on the main search site will be close just not as close.
Tim
TheotherTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006   #7
grasshopper

serves me right for not reading more closely thanks again for the reply, tim.