Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > SEM Related Organizations & Events
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2006   #1
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
The OFFICIAL SES San Jose 2006 Conference Thread

I'm posting on Joseph Morin's behalf (as he is recovering from SES latino) to reserve this space and officially start this year's exciting who's going to SES San Jose, and where are we partying thread.

Let the thread begin.

Last edited by Elisabeth : 08-03-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006   #2
evilgreenmonkey

evilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud of
Hotel availability permitting, I'll be there.

First time to CA, so any guidance; tips; recommendations and party invites appreciated

Rob
evilgreenmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006   #3
SanDiegoSEO

SanDiegoSEO is a jewel in the roughSanDiegoSEO is a jewel in the roughSanDiegoSEO is a jewel in the roughSanDiegoSEO is a jewel in the rough
I shall be returning as well....hopefully.

I do have a national paintball tournament starting that same Thursday as well.
SanDiegoSEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #4
stuntdubl
Traffic not SEO.

stuntdubl is a splendid one to beholdstuntdubl is a splendid one to beholdstuntdubl is a splendid one to beholdstuntdubl is a splendid one to beholdstuntdubl is a splendid one to beholdstuntdubl is a splendid one to beholdstuntdubl is a splendid one to behold
hotel

If you don't mind a 3 block walk, there's a Marriot hotel nearby that's about 40% less than the conference hotels (which seemed to be booked anyhow. It ain't the hilton, but it serves it's purpose.

Last edited by stuntdubl : 07-14-2006 at 01:47 AM.
stuntdubl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #5
David Wallace

David Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to behold
I'll be there arriving Sunday and sitting on Q&A panel for "Retaining Traffic After Moving Or Redesign" on Thursday. Look forward to meeting up with old friends as well as meeting some new faces.
David Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #6
SpeedyPin
Eric Itzkowitz

SpeedyPin is on a distinguished road
San Diego to San Jose --- Here we come!

I'm driving up from San Diego with a colleague (yes driving). We're looking forward to an even better event than 2005.

It's nice to see that there are some good sessions that will allow those with a good deal of experience to contiunue to learn. I'm especially looking forward to learning more tips and tricks for marketing on social/community sites.

FYI... I booked at the St Claire and I think they still have rooms.

- Eric Itzkowitz

p.s. David, we just recently completed a web host move (a huge endeavor) and I'm happy to report that our rankings have remained solid, which means traffic continues to flow. Yes, it can be done with proper planning. A HUGE SHOUT OUT to MC for blogging about this topic--it was a huge help!

Last edited by SpeedyPin : 07-14-2006 at 06:17 PM.
SpeedyPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #7
evilgreenmonkey

evilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud of
I hope that's a hybrid car you're driving

After phoning a rather dazed and confused St Claire receptionist, I was under the impression that it was fully booked.

If anyone finds a nearby hotel that's available between the 5th and 11th, please let me know. Otherwise you may find America's largest car pile-up in history caused by me and my economy Hertz rent-a-car!

Rob
Old 07-14-2006   #8
David Wallace

David Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to behold
Try The Fairmont at San Jose. That's where I'm staying. It is a short walk to convention center and much nicer rooms IMO then the Marriott.
David Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #9
evilgreenmonkey

If it's $149 a night, I'm there
Old 07-15-2006   #10
evilgreenmonkey

Hoorah! My late quest for a sub $200 hotel room (in close proximity to SES) is finally over. The Crowne Plaza hotel still has room vacancies and is just down the road from the Marriott. It's not the most attractive of buildings, although all I needed was a bed for the night. If anyone else decides to stay here, sign-up for the Priority Club card as apparantly you sometimes get free upgrades.

My next quest is to find a party to go to each night

Any rumblings of an Ask/Yahoo/MSN party so far, or maybe a local SEM group event like with LondonSEO.org?

Rob

Last edited by evilgreenmonkey : 07-15-2006 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-15-2006   #11
Joseph Morin

Joseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of light
Fairmont Special Rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wallace
Try The Fairmont at San Jose. That's where I'm staying. It is a short walk to convention center and much nicer rooms IMO than the Marriott.
Ha - you just liked my room there last year Dave I'm repeating the scenario again this year.

If you go to the Fairmont 'One Way Summer Rates' Web Specials there just happens to be a handy dandy special going on for the dates of the conference. It's initially listed at $189 BUT do not despair, when you load the conference dates, it still lists rooms at $169. Now here is the kicker: If you sign up for their President's Club loyalty program (even if you just sign up and havent had a stay yet) you are entitled to free Hi Speed Internet access, so that comes out to about what the conference rate was for the Marriott. In addition you get a MUCH nicer room that is 450 sq. ft. and an all marble bathroom and entry. ..so its also larger than the Marriott, Hilton and St. Clair.

For those of you who know me, you know that I'm an absolute travel junkie and spend more time at FlyerTalk than I do at search blog sites. So for serial SES conference attenders, I'll let you in on a loyalty plan that will get you perks and more perks. If you plan on attending both SES San Jose and SES Chicago or even SES Toronto (SES' that have nearby Fairmont hotels) then do as instructed - if not then read no further.

The Fairmont Loyalty Program gives you premier status after only 10 nights stayed within a calendar year. So if you stay 5 nights in San Jose and 5 nights in Chicago (about 4 long blocks or 4 minute cab ride) or even for SES Toronto (almost across the street from conference hotel) you will have earned premier status for the following year. What this does is give you 2 certificates for upgrades during your next year of status, free Internet of course, one free night for the following stay and they even throw in a $50 food voucher.

I did this all last year and for this year's SES San Jose conference I received an upgrade to a 900 sq. ft. suite, a free night and a $50 food voucher.

For those that do SES, PubCon and Ad:Tech then I would highly recommend joining Starwood Preferred Guest Loyalty Program which in my opinion is the best hotel loyalty program. Starwood is comprised of St. Regis, The Luxury Collection, Le Meridien, W Hotels, Westin, Sheraton and Four Points. I'm Platinum with SPG and I've been treated very, very well by them with a suite upgrade in about 80% of my stays last year (90 nights with Starwood).

Any questions? Drop me a note...

Joe
Joseph Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006   #12
Joseph Morin

Joseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgreenmonkey
Any rumblings of an Ask/Yahoo/MSN party so far, or maybe a local SEM group event like with LondonSEO.org?

Rob
Hey Rob,

I'll have the 'Official SES Party Guide' up shortly - I've been awaiting an answer from 2 of the SE's before I posted but if I dont hear shortly then I'll go ahead and post it.

Joe
Joseph Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #13
evilgreenmonkey

Good stuff, it's a shame that my hotel reservation at the Crowne Plaza is non-refundable.
Old 07-17-2006   #14
toprank
Lee Odden

toprank will become famous soon enoughtoprank will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the tips Joe. 90 nights? You are one heck of a travellin' man.

I've been hitting SES, Pubcon, ad:tech and this year DMA conferences, so your tips are very much appreciated.

David, am booked for the St. Clair right now, but after seeing the Fairmont, may need to make a change. Thanks for the link.

Elisabeth, if/when I see you again, I apologize in advance for any foot in my mouth behavior. This time I promise not to forget your name or make a dumb comment on the topic of your birthday.
toprank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #15
sherrillh
Let's go shopping!

sherrillh is on a distinguished road
SJ newb

Looks like I'm headed to Cally! I went to last years Toronto SES and everyone there said that the San Jose was the grandaddy of them all, so looks like I'm taking the plunge.

I'll be watching this thread to try and keep up with all the parties and look forward to seeing Rand in his shoes, gotta love him and Mikel with the bright suits

evilgreenmonkey, I'll be staying at same hotel as you, so you don't feel left out
sherrillh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #16
evilgreenmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrillh
evilgreenmonkey, I'll be staying at same hotel as you, so you don't feel left out
Good stuff, welcome to the party... I mean, work related excursion.

Rob
Old 07-17-2006   #17
sheseltine
Yorkshireman

sheseltine is on a distinguished road
I'll be there (just booked it today). It'll be my first trip to CA, just like my fellow Brit above...
sheseltine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #18
wtongen

wtongen is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 1st time as Speaker

I made my reservations at the San Jose Marriott early and I already RSVP'd the Gdance so I'm set.

I'm excited! I'v been to 3 SES conferences and have gotten to know many of you, but this will be my first time to San Jose and my first time speaking on a panel.

I am honored to be part of the Search & Regulated Industries panel Tuesday afternoon to talk about some of the chalenges to our search program at Medtronic.

I'm there from Sunday to Saturday on a bit of an extended trip. Look me up.

Wardo
wtongen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #19
eWhisper

eWhisper is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Looks like a great crowd as usual.

Joe - expecting some good parties
eWhisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006   #20
Silver

Silver is on a distinguished road
attending

I'll be at San Jose, too, along with the usual contingent of folx from Verizon , most likely.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote