Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2006   #1
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Get Rid Of Results Counts On Google?

Given the recent news that site: continues not to be accurate (and thus, it supposedly wasn't 5 billion pages of spam in Google from one site recently), I think it's time for those counts to go. They aren't accurate, so move 'em into the Google Sitemaps program or get rid of them entirely. I've posted a long rundown on this on the SEW Blog in Google, Kill The Web Search Counts!. What do you think?

Last edited by dannysullivan : 06-22-2006 at 10:35 AM.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006   #2
g1smd

g1smd will become famous soon enough
Apart from some obvious bugs where for some results >1000 the results are inflated by a factor of about 6 to 8 (I assume that Google is counting the same pages over and over again due to session IDs, duplicate content at www and non-www or multiple related or redirected domains, or more likely multiply counting stuff both in the normal index and in the supplemental index). the counts are often quite good.

For sites less than 1000 pages, and results less than 1000 returns I see few problems. It is for stuff >1000 where it all goes wrong.
g1smd is offline   Reply With Quote