Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Member's Lounge > Forum Policies & Operations
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2006   #1
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
Update on Forum Issues Since Moving Servers

On Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 7am Eastern, we are moving the SEW Forums to a new server. It will take anywhere from a few minutes to maybe a day until the domain system starts to point at the new server.

You will know you are at the new server if you are able to read and post threads. If you are still sent to the old server, you'll see a temporary URL that will point you to to a new server until the domain changeover is complete.

Otherwise, the forum URL will remain: http://forums.searchenginewatch.com

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause in the short term.

##

Thanks everyone for your patience in advance - once we move the forums and upgrade them, we'll be able to do some other improvements that we've had on our to-do list.
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006   #2
Robert_Charlton

Robert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud of
It would be interesting to do an information DNS propagation test... have people post as they get the site on the new server. Wouldn't be the same as if you had a team of people all over the world trying every five minutes, but it will still have some entertainment value.

Good luck with the move.
Robert_Charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #3
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
7:01AM, hope all is going well.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #4
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
It's 5:21 Pacific Time, resolving in Los Angeles.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #5
Chris_D

Chris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud of
10.52 pm Sydney time (i.e. GMT +10 i.e. Australian Eastern Standard time...) - I tried earlier - got the 'moving' message - tried http://beta.forums.searchenginewatch.com but got a 404.

All is good now.....
Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #6
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
I couldn't log in at first. I tried switching off ZoneAlarm, but that didn't help. I then closed Firefox and restarted it. Then I could log in, but after the login, i was taken from forums.searchenginewatch.com to beta.forums.searchenginewatch.com, making me log in again.

I've sent a note over to the developers to look at the issue. If others can't log in, try restarting your browsers.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #7
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Same deal with me Danny. I am logged in now.
Old 06-20-2006   #8
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
No problems logging in here, of course I'm always fashionably late to the party.
Old 06-20-2006   #9
hoosieradvisor

Question Yikes

Oh my gawd, I think I've joined a forum way over my head! Yikes!

I'm simply trying to learn how be found by SE.
Old 06-20-2006   #10
Robert_Charlton

Robert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud of
5:38pm PDT in the San Francisco Bay area...

Noting that the home page nav url has apparently been changed. Before, it was...

http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/forum/index.php

Now, if click on the "Search Engine Watch Forums" link from the top breadcrumbs, you get...

http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/?

From the logo, there's no question mark.
Robert_Charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #11
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
That's how it is in my Windows Favorites, but the new way (without the extra redundant folder) seems more correct and easier to remember for type-ins.

Quote:
I'm simply trying to learn how be found by SE
Then you've come to exactly the right place! And welcome to SEW Forums, just pull up a chair and start reading.
Old 06-20-2006   #12
shor
aka Lucas Ng. Aussie online marketer.

shor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysullivan
I couldn't log in at first...
If others can't log in, try restarting your browsers.
This worked for me.
shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #13
wtongen

wtongen is on a distinguished road
Does downtime affect the Daily Searchcast

I have not gooten the feed since the 6/9 show:

I get this from feedburner:

Feed Address: http://feeds.searchenginewatch.com/searchcast

HTTP Error Code: 500

Detail: There was a problem retrieving the feed: com.burningdoor.rsspp.resource.impl.HttpConnection Exception: Error getting URL: 502 - Source feed is too large
wtongen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #14
Elisabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtongen
I have not gooten the feed since the 6/9 show:

I get this from feedburner:

Feed Address: http://feeds.searchenginewatch.com/searchcast

HTTP Error Code: 500

Detail: There was a problem retrieving the feed: com.burningdoor.rsspp.resource.impl.HttpConnection Exception: Error getting URL: 502 - Source feed is too large
thanks for reporting this issue- I'll look into that.
Old 06-21-2006   #15
Brian M

Brian M is just really niceBrian M is just really niceBrian M is just really niceBrian M is just really nice
Hmmm... Some posts are missing...

Hi Folks,

I know you have your hands full with this changeover, but I thought you should know that some posts from yesterday are missing.

I was about to reply to another poster in a Google thread who asked me a question yesterday afternoon, but his post is gone today...

Not a big deal, but it may look a little odd if I post an answer to myself...

Brian M
Brian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006   #16
rustybrick

I still have to login every time I come back to the forums. Also just now, while viewing the forums after logging in and being active on it, it asked me to log in again.

On Apple Safari 2.0.3
Old 06-21-2006   #17
Chris_D

Chris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud of
I'd put in a 301 redirect from http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/forum/index.php to http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/
Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006   #18
dazzlindonna
Internet Entrepreneur

dazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of lightdazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of lightdazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of lightdazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of lightdazzlindonna is a glorious beacon of light
I also still have to login every time I come here, now. using Firefox.
dazzlindonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006   #19
Marcia

I use IE and everything is working A-OK. Maybe a browser compatibility issue?

Last edited by Marcia : 06-22-2006 at 12:51 AM.
Old 06-21-2006   #20
Elisabeth

the developers have told me this so far about the login issue:

Logging out is likely to be a cookie problem, at a guess. If there's more than 20 mins between your uses of the forums then there's a 50/50 chance of you ending up on the other web server -which may invalidate your cookie.

They are looking into it further