Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2006   #1
mocgiit

mocgiit is on a distinguished road
Smile What Are The 200 Signals Google Uses To Rank Pages?

I was going about my daily work load and I was reading an article about how there were about 100 onpage and off page factors that the algos consider for SEO. So over the last few weeks I took about an hour out of my busy day to try to list all the 100 factors involved with SEO. I got to about 37. It made me ask this question "Do I know what I am doing?

I have been doing SEO for about 6 years now so I would love to see if any one can come close to 100. Its always good to test your knowledge.
mocgiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #2
atlanta404
SEO for process engineering instrumentation

atlanta404 is on a distinguished road
37??? I'd love to see them - please post!
atlanta404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #3
Nivik23

Nivik23 will become famous soon enough
The only factor that I think is important is:

1)Owning the search engine

That usually helps your ranking

Honestly though, I don't think it would be all that hard to come up with a list of 100 things when you consider that numerous items in the list are able to be listed numerous times based upon set combinations

For example you take one set of factors such as:

keyword
keyword vector

then overlay that set upon another set:

weight
density

then overly that set upon yet another:

site content
backlink content

Then have independent sets:

# Server Errors
% Server Errors

and on and on. Then put them all together in a nice package with coefficients and operators. Such a list though is highly speculative and we all know how tempermental SE's are, so any such "list" is mostly pointless imo.

I mean come on, scientists have trouble coming up with equations doing experiments that involve < 10 variables and reality stays the same, imagine coming up with an equation with > 100 variables in which every different location and time yielded different results but you couldn't figure out what the results were until some unknown delay in time had passed which was variable itself.

There's no way someone can reverse engineer a major SE's algo or even the all variables in the algo. If I was major SE, I'd throw in a few variables just to screw with people trying to figure out the variables. Who says they don't. They might consider it a way to give their SERP's a little "personality".

Then again I'm not an "Expert" of SEO, or anything for that matter and am quite happy to stay that way.

NiV23

Last edited by Nivik23 : 06-14-2006 at 08:32 PM.
Nivik23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #4
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
OK let's see if we can get 100...

I'll throw in "content around links." Whos' next? Including nivik's there's 11 now.
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #5
shor
aka Lucas Ng. Aussie online marketer.

shor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the rough
Rand's search engine ranking factors has 103 listed. Of course, the number of these that a) truly matter and b) is within our control and/or influence is subject to continuing debate
shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #6
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by shor
Rand's search engine ranking factors has 103 listed. Of course, the number of these that a) truly matter and b) is within our control and/or influence is subject to continuing debate
nice list thanks for posting. of course I'll have to get on Rand for calling them Title Tags instead of Page Titles
Old 06-15-2006   #7
phaithful
www.dotSEO.com

phaithful will become famous soon enough
Well if we're talking about Rand and SEOMoz, there was a post on the blog from Michael Martinez Neeewssss Fffllaaaaaa-uussshhhh: Google now using 200+ ranking factors
Quote:
On May 10, SearchEngineWatch revealed (in Slide 17) that Google claims to be using 200+ "signals" to determine search results rankings.
Since Rand's got 103... I think we're still missing 97
phaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #8
mocgiit

Man what a post

Quote:
Man I what a great article. I think it is time for me to change careers. or just start my own personal search engine and have a simple algo.
Old 06-15-2006   #9
caugas
Trance/Dance Music makes the world move faster

caugas is a jewel in the roughcaugas is a jewel in the roughcaugas is a jewel in the roughcaugas is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Shor, thanks for posting this, this is helpful!!!!
caugas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #10
netklick

netklick is on a distinguished road
I think they should add some people factor like the (www)oozm.com (live link edited) search engine has. Allow people to dictate what should move up and down.

Last edited by Chris Boggs : 06-16-2006 at 10:58 AM. Reason: looks a little link-droppy for a first post. :) http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/faq.php?faq=code_of_conduct#faq_self-promo
netklick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #11
vipjun
young-gun

vipjun is on a distinguished road
You can add data from the google tool bar that just got installed on all the Dell PC's
vipjun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #12
PhilC

PhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud of
Rand's article is interesting but, like any other such piece, including this thread, it's mostly based on speculation. There are a number of factors that Google published at the beginning, which are bound to still be used, but the rest are just speculation.

It's interesting to note that the #1 and #2 items in Rand's article are the wrong way round. This article explains why.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006   #13
Chris Boggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilC
It's interesting to note that the #1 and #2 items in Rand's article are the wrong way round. This article explains why.
nice article Phil...very well written and accurate, in my opinion.
Old 06-16-2006   #14
MarkEllison
SEO Protege

MarkEllison is on a distinguished road
Not as good as Rand's page, but..

Vaughns 1 Pagers lists 118!!

This is a descent checklist---site is ugly as sin however..
MarkEllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006   #15
mocgiit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilC
Great Article. So off page links are more powerful then onpage links? With my experience my on page text link really dont give me a jump in the SERP.
Old 06-16-2006   #16
PhilC

PhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud of
Thanks, guys.

In the beginning, links from any page were probably all the same, although they didn't tell us all of the data that they stored about each links word. Even so, they've probably changed it a bit since then.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006   #17
fulton savage

fulton savage is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by netklick
Allow people to dictate what should move up and down.
This most likely happens transparently using SERP CTR, which I think is better.

Outgoing SERP link:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start...mbrella&e=9797
fulton savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006   #18
maxd

maxd is on a distinguished road
There are only 2 factors in google. Old domain and lots of links. This 100 factors crap makes me laugh. well maybe 4, I would also go for on page factors and a large indexed unique content site. That is all.
maxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #19
vayapues
10 kinds of people in the world. Those who know binary numbers, and those who don't

vayapues is just really nicevayapues is just really nicevayapues is just really nicevayapues is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxd
There are only 2 factors in google. Old domain and lots of links. This 100 factors crap makes me laugh. well maybe 4, I would also go for on page factors and a large indexed unique content site. That is all.
I hope I have the pleasure of competing against you in the future for competitive keywords, and I hope that you keep that attitude, so I can smoke you.
Old domain is powerful, but so is a new domain that is registered for the next 10 years. domain tenure and inbound links are great, but they can without question be beat by good old fashioned onsite and offsite SEO.
If you are only focusing on these two, or even four issues, and are successful, it does not mean that they are the only factors that matter, it simply means that you have yet to go up against real SEOs. My personal list is shorter than 100, but it is a lot longer than 4.

Last edited by vayapues : 06-20-2006 at 12:12 PM.
vayapues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #20
vayapues
10 kinds of people in the world. Those who know binary numbers, and those who don't

vayapues is just really nicevayapues is just really nicevayapues is just really nicevayapues is just really nice
Quote:
I would also go for on page factors
how many on page factors?
vayapues is offline   Reply With Quote