Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Marketing
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2004   #1
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
What's Your Favorite Search Engine Marketing Book?

If you could only recommend someone one book on "search engine marketing", which one would it be? Why?

Here is a list of recommended books:

Last edited by Nacho : 08-22-2004 at 11:20 PM.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004   #2
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
I think Shari's book may be a good choice - depending on what level you start from. But then again, I am probably colored by the fact that I did technical editing on that book - maybe it's just that I happen to know it better than the rest

Actually, there are a few of them I haven't read (yet) but I would not hesitate to recommend Andrew Goodman and Jil Whalens books - but they are not "full seo/sem" books (and was not written to be) and therefor would not serve well as the only book to read.

I don't really think there is one book that I could say to anyone, at any level, that would teach him all he need. It takes several good books - and then some. Even though there are indeed some great books on the market there are still room for many more - there are many areas and topics that are not covered very well yet.

There is one very important book, though, that I do not see on the list. Well, it's not really any specific book but rather a topic (there are so many books available that covers this): Basic HTML!

I will claim that almost anyone can learn HTML in a couple of weeks. This is the basics of how most of the www have been served, and the food that spiders have been eating for many, many years. I don't know how anyone can claim to be able to do any organic SEO unless they know at least some basic HTML.
Mikkel deMib Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004   #3
NFFC
"One wants to have, you know, a little class." DianeV

NFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to behold
>I will claim that almost anyone can learn HTML in a couple of weeks

I started with a Sams learn HTML in a weekend book, it took about two weeks.

I stopped there too [at chapter 7 which was about frames]

>I don't know how anyone can claim to be able to do any organic SEO unless they know at least some basic HTML.

169% agree.
NFFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004   #4
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
Quote:
I stopped there too [at chapter 7 which was about frames]
I actually did the frames chapters too - and a few more. I ended up in my first job as a programmer at a web agency having to code and recode almost 15,000 web pages by hand. So in 6 month time I got the basics

Did you know that you can make an almost endless number of nested frames - just like tables. In fact, this is one of the only ways to push content around objects on a page in a way where you can fully control load order. However, not particular search engine friendly... or user friendly for that sake ... or programmer friendly. In fact, it really sucks, so you did not miss much jumping that chapter

Last edited by Mikkel deMib Svendsen : 08-28-2004 at 03:14 PM.
Mikkel deMib Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004   #5
Jill Whalen
SEO Consulting

Jill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really nice
I would also recommend Shari's book to newbies who are just starting out with a site that they want to also be found in the engines.

And agreed, if you're gonna even think about being an SEO you gotta know at least some HTML. (I'm gonna say that I agree 170% just so I can outdo NFFC )
Jill Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004   #6
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Shari's book is an excellent book to get people who are new to SEO off on a good start.

Mike's book is a book that can take an established SEO to a new level. It is a bit outdated, but his 3rd version is coming out soon. And if you buy the 2nd version now, you get the 3rd version for free. The basics on Mike's book still are valid, and one can learn a tremendous amount from reading it.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004   #7
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
I've also read Catherine Seda's book, very well done. Good for the PPC people out there.

I am about to read SEO Book's book. I am 80% done with Mike's book. Shari's book I've read a long time ago.

I would also recommend Building Your Business with Google For Dummies. It has some inaccuracies (IMO) with the SEO side. But its a fun book to read, plus has some good quotes in there.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004   #8
Joseph Morin

Joseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of light
Not really a SEO book, but 'Google Hacks' offers some interesting history on Google and some good searching techniques.
Joseph Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004   #9
GlobalSEO

GlobalSEO will become famous soon enough
Given some of the comments on these books.... what would you like to see in a "good seo/sem book that is not in any of these?
GlobalSEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004   #10
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalSEO
Given some of the comments on these books.... what would you like to see in a "good seo/sem book that is not in any of these?
This is my wish "Search Engine Optimizing Toward The Hispanic Community" and if I can only find the time, I will write about about it.
Old 09-08-2005   #11
nima1353

nima1353 is on a distinguished road
Search Engine Marketing Inc.

I have been busy reading the new book by Mike Moran entitled Search Engine Marketing Inc..

It is by far one of the best books I have read on the subject. It covers both organic and paid search engine optimization and marketing.

It is a must read....

Regards,

Nima
nima1353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005   #12
Daria_Goetsch
SEOExplore.com - SEO Research Directory

Daria_Goetsch has a spectacular aura aboutDaria_Goetsch has a spectacular aura about
Yes, the book by Mike Moran and Bill Hunt, Search Engine Marketing, Inc. is a great book. I helped review it before publishing. Especially helpful for corporations training in-house SEO's.
Daria_Goetsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005   #13
John Thyfault

Dan Theis's SEO Kit get's a big thumbs up

It nice comprehesive look at SEO and SEM.

While I didn't find anything completely new, it was arranged in such a logical and organized way that it helped to make my life easier.

The keyword research tools/spreadsheats were very good particuallry
Old 09-09-2005   #14
Nacho

And I have almost completed reading:
Call to Action: Secret Formulas to Improve Online Results (Hardcover)
by Bryan Eisenberg, Jeffery Eisenberg
List Price: $25.95
You want to take your time reading this book. I almost wrote a book of my own of notes and ideas just by reading this book. It is very inspirational and has direct point of action tactics and techniques. It's very illustrative and practical. This is one of my favorite books now and a must recommend.

I just bought these 4 books this week and will become by next 3 months reading homework.
The Search: How Google and Its Rivals Rewrote the Rules of Business and Transformed Our Culture [Hardcover]
By: John Battelle
List Price: $25.95

Search Engine Marketing, Inc. : Driving Search Traffic to Your Company's Web Site [Paperback]
By: Mike Moran, Bill Hunt
List Price: $49.99

Winning Results with Google AdWords (One-Off) [Paperback]
By: Andrew Goodman
List Price: $24.99

Google Power: Unleash the Full Potential of Google [Paperback]
By: Chris Sherman
List Price: $24.99
Old 09-09-2005   #15
nicncher

nicncher is on a distinguished road
Books On Adwords

I have read Andrew Goodman's "21 Ways...." and would highly recommend it to anyone getting started with Adwords. I was wondering if anyone can recommend any other books specifically on PPC and/or Adwords or if anyone has any reviews on Andrew Goodman's new book: "Winning Results With Google Adwords"?

Thanks

Cher

Last edited by nicncher : 09-09-2005 at 11:18 AM. Reason: spelling error
nicncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005   #16
seomike
M·d_Rewrite Guru

seomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to behold
Jk Bowman told me to buy Mike Grehans book a year ago. Best SE book I've read so far. It has helped me build better sites. It also clears up everything you need to know about THEMES. Which is probably the most misunderstood aspect of optimizing larger sites.

Very good read.
seomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005   #17
HuckerNut
SneakTip

HuckerNut is on a distinguished road
Found this one that was just about Google seo -

SEO For Google by Paul Bliss
eBook - Price: $59.95
HuckerNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005   #18
oddcomments

oddcomments is on a distinguished road
The one chapter I read from Aaron Wall’s SEO Book (there’s a free chapter on his site somewhere) was very informational. However, it is $79 (not $39 as stated) and I am philosophically opposed to paying that much money for something I can’t hold in my hands ...unless, of course I spend another $79 on paper & ink to print it ;-)

Last edited by oddcomments : 09-09-2005 at 04:17 PM.
oddcomments is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005   #19
webprofessor

webprofessor is on a distinguished road
I read Aarons SEO Book and it has helped me quite a bit ( esp the link building section ). I did think that it could have been written better, it is essentially a collection of notes loosly strung together.

Thats the only one I can comment on.
webprofessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005   #20
type0
Founder and Senior Web Architect

type0 is on a distinguished road
Some other recommended books

I first purchased Web Word Wizardry, by Rachel McAlpine. A lot of good points on writing for the web. Some of it is a little outdated but still some good guidelines.

I also really got a lot of good information from Peter Kent's book, Search Engine Optimization for Dummies.

I just recently purchased Shari's book and especially liked her in depth knowledge of directories and submitting to them.

Thanks for the list above. I'll check out those as well.

SEO books are good to get your foot in the door on learning SEO, but most of my extended knowledge comes from forums, blogs, and especially my own research and measurement. Nothing beats your own observations from testing.

Cheers
type0 is offline   Reply With Quote