Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2006   #1
glengara

glengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud of
Regional Results

In G.ie I sometimes get Irish results coming up for generic searches and sometimes not, it seems very hit or miss, is localisation a work in progress or what?
glengara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #2
Wilksy
Ben Wilks

Wilksy is just really niceWilksy is just really niceWilksy is just really niceWilksy is just really niceWilksy is just really nice
hey Glengara,

Over here in OZ we have been experiencing similar results, Google are definately working on geotargeting the results a lot more than usual.

I get totally different results, day to day and computer to computer.
Wilksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #3
Red5

Red5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilksy
Over here in OZ we have been experiencing similar results, Google are definately working on geotargeting the results a lot more than usual.

I get totally different results, day to day and computer to computer.
This is something I have been seeing too. I've tried to find information and resources on this geotargeting issue for ages with little success. There are the odd one or two articles, but nothing that I've found which is recent enough.

Does anyone know of any resources where we could find out more about how common this is?

It makes optimisation for clients overseas quite hard, and demonstration of serps almost impossible sometimes as they see quite different results.

I would also quess that this is one of the directions search is going in the future. Mix into the equation the addition of personalised search and things get decidedly messy! ;-)
Red5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #4
Nivik23

Nivik23 will become famous soon enough
The world economy is moving twoards globalizaion, leave it to Google to go retro on us

NiV23
Nivik23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #5
Red5

Red5 is on a distinguished road
I've just found the following related discussion entitled "Will SERPS be pointless in the future?" (I hope it's still ok to post links here)

The issue I see is two people using google.com in different locations (countries) sometimes seeing different results. Sure this could be down to the differences in datacenters, but I'm getting the feeling that this doesn't explain it fully.

Sadly, I've not had the chance to gather any hard data to investigate this further myself - hence my interest in finding out what others think here. ;-)
Red5 is offline   Reply With Quote