Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > Searching Tips & Techniques > Invisible - Deep Web
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: When did you First go on The "Internet"
1970's (before the World wide web) 2 4.44%
1980's before WWW 12 26.67%
Early 90's just for email and newsgroups 10 22.22%
First experience was with Gopher early - mid 90's 2 4.44%
First experience was with World Wide WEb - early - mid 90's 14 31.11%
Late 90's 5 11.11%
2000 and above 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2004   #1
! !

Thumbs up Before there was a WEB - There was Internet

Thank God some of these original posts survive...

Can you imagine that in our lifetime - there was initial attempts by the inventors of the world to sell this New idea to other techies:

The first attempts at explaining the New World wide web - read & enjoy

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=+%...=1992&filter=0

Also, right around that time there was a new competing technology called "gopher" that was consuming the imagination of the tech-savy

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=go...=1992&filter=0

what historical gems these posts are ...

Last edited by David Wallace : 06-24-2004 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-09-2004   #2
Chris_D

Chris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud of
Here in Australia, in the mid 1980's we had 'Viatel' - which was a Videotex (not teletext) X25 based network. It used PC's (as they were in 1986) and 1200/75 baud modems - and big chunky graphics. The system would refresh your screen at 1200 baud - and you could 'upload' at 75 baud - which is sort of the fastest a competent typist can type....

Australia's Viatel was sort of based on the French Minitel system.

But - as agricultural as it was - you could do online banking, read the news online etc etc. Corporates used videotex based front ends to set up closed user group systems to their mainframes.

And many of those companies who were early Viatel pioneers in Australia were actually the first to bring these interactive systems to the 'Microsoft Network' - and later to the 'internet' / WWW. Like Comm Bank's Netbank - which launched in about 1985 on Viatel - not 1995 on the web!!.

The first national Public email system in Australia launched around the same timescale 1985/6 - when Telex was still a 'cash cow' and was still the preferred 'secure' form of business communication.......

Hasn't the world changed in the last 20 years!!!
Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004   #3
Anthony Parsons
Rubbing the shine of the knobs who think they're better than everyone else...

Anthony Parsons will become famous soon enough
Yep....now technology is lucky to sit still for a month.
Anthony Parsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004   #4
K.S. Katz

K.S. Katz is on a distinguished road
I remember in the early 90s when I used UNIX to MUD with my college buddies. There was no GUI or web pages, just text.

What's really sad is I haven't had to use UNIX in 10 years so I've pretty much forgotten it.
K.S. Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004   #5
wiseMouse
Wise Mouse

wiseMouse has disabled reputation
what is the WWW
wiseMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004   #6
MikeDammann
SearchFeature.com

MikeDammann is on a distinguished road
Cool

World War 5 5
MikeDammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005   #7
warza bidul

warza bidul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ! !
Thank God some of these original posts survive...

Can you imagine that in our lifetime - there was initial attempts by the inventors of the world to sell this New idea to other techies:

The first attempts at explaining the New World wide web - read & enjoy

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=+%...=1992&filter=0

Also, right around that time there was a new competing technology called "gopher" that was consuming the imagination of the tech-savy

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=go...=1992&filter=0

what historical gems these posts are ...
If you know of the birth of the world wide web you surely know about Robert Caillau. He worked with Tim Berners Lee and helped him get the funding and authorisation to work on the world wide web project. i was lucky enough to meet Caillau at the CERN when doing a news story for Polish television. It was an interesting experience to see the NeXT computer which TBL had used to code the two protocols.

I have seen a huge amount of change since I started spending a lot of time online from around 1996 onwards.
warza bidul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005   #8
seo
seo

seo is on a distinguished road
Post "Inventors" of Internet Cerf, Khan and "Gore" Honored & Awarded

Vince Cerf & Robert Khan

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...3824243&EDATE=

======================================

Al Gore (Webby)

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Cyb...C-RSSFeeds0312
seo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005   #9
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
LOL - on Al Gore - but I'll allow that the legislation helped a lot - I'd agree he was an instrumental supporter of the WWW (just not the inventor!).

Speaking of instrumental supporters, there is another controversial one that I feel needs mentioning (like it or not!): Bill Gates.

Now, don't shoot the messenger, here, but without ol' Bill getting on the internet bandwagon and forcing it upon everyone buying Win95 (even the ones who never heard of it), I think the WWW would be a very different place - certainly emptier.

He wrote a memo that turned his company around on a dime - not an easy task for a company that big. Within 6 months every single MS dept and project had to outline it's internet objectives - which raised a lot of eybrows - can you imagine the initial response of the Excel team (ummm, it's a spreadsheet, sir...).

And yet, look at it today. Further, this put pressure on MS's competitors to enter into the arena - also good for everyone.

The famous memo in question:

http://www.microsoft.com/billgates/c...ssay950815.asp

My favorite quote form the memo (remember, this was 10 years ago):
Quote:
Only some of the companies laying bets on the Internet will be winners. But companies that bet against the Internet will be losers.
MS has done some really dumb things regarding the internet, especially in the area of proprietary thinking and products, but credit where credit is due for popularizing it, I think.

Ian

Last edited by mcanerin : 06-12-2005 at 02:14 PM.
mcanerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005   #10
PhilC

PhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud of
Actually, I have nothing against Bill Gates at all. It's thanks to his desire to make money, and IBM's failure to close the PC off because they only expected to sell 1.5 million units, that we have the cheap computers and advances that we have today.

The original post in this thread is interesting because not everyone knows the difference between the Internet and the Web. Probably most people think that they are the same thing - but they are not. The Internet is a network of computers and the Web is a hyperlink system that uses the network.

I'm not so sure that the Web would have been set back if Microsoft hadn't got involved. There was a time when M$ were considering starting up their own alternative to the Internet - hence MicroSoft Network - MSN, but they abandoned the idea because the Internet was too well established. I also remember when a reporter asked Bill Gates if M$ had a department that was dealing with the Internet. His answer was, "Yes. It's called Microsoft". That was how the world found out that M$ were entering the Internet.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005   #11
seo
seo

seo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm not so sure that the Web would have been set back if Microsoft hadn't got involved. There was a time when M$ were considering starting up their own alternative to the Internet - hence MicroSoft Network - MSN, but they abandoned the idea because the Internet was too well established
Phil comments prompted some investigation

Apparently many other large firms also were aware of The Internet potential

judging by the very first (.com .edu. .net .gov - without the "WWW") registered Domain Names BEFORE the World Wide Web began
seo is offline   Reply With Quote