Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Other Search Engines & Directories
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2006   #1
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
2006 Test Run On Kanoodle

Once a year we give a test run on second tier engines that we have not used in a while. The hope is that we find the engine has improved their network since the last time we tried and can now deliver a small amount of quality traffic.

This is not the case with Kanoodle.

Test Run:
We used their behavioral and context ad features.
We dropped $300 in for a deposit
Within 4 hours our account was depleted.
Our Site stats showed that of the 588 clicks we received 99.86% immediately bounced back out of the site. There was 1 conversion and it was a bogus entry (false information).

As a control the same ad and landing page and same keyword set has produced a 15% conversion over the past 6 months.

Because we like our SEW friends so much, please consider this a $300 gift to you. Now you don't need to waste your money here, we have done it for you.

We would be glad to hear of results to the contrary.

Cheers,

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #2
Webvisitor

Webvisitor will become famous soon enough
Incredible, thank you for the warning.
Webvisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #3
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
To their credit

Kanoodle did contact me via email after sending them an email with our troublesome findings.

They offered to rectify the situation monetarily and help build an account that will produce results. This response and offer is light-years faster than any of the bigs and should be commended.

Once burned twice shy though...
We have gone through that song and dance with other 2nd tiers before only to get the same results time and again.

Unless I hear from others that they did ultimately find a good flow of qualify traffic at Kanoodle we won’t be wasting any more time there.

Discovery
Old 06-06-2006   #4
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
LOL Discovery, thanks for the gift!

This has been our experience with all the second-tiers except Ask. While we're not getting huge volumes from them, conversions and quality are good. They had one network partner that was sending us a lot of non-converting, non-staying traffic, but when I notified Ask along with supporting data, within 2 hours I had a credit and our ads were removed from that partner site. Contrast this with Yahoo, where 3 months ago the same thing happened to the tune of about 10x as much money - and I'm still waiting for a refund. I've got a rep at Yahoo in my corner, but he's meeting resistance from above....

Ask may not work for everyone, but for us, it's been a nice addition.

Melissa
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006   #5
Igor718

Igor718 is on a distinguished road
Yep

Why are you surprised??? I heard it before a million times that they give you bad traffic.

I have no idea how they still stay in business.
Igor718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006   #6
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Hopelessly Optimistic

Keep going back about once a year to a few 2nd tiers and some 2nd tier newbies just to run a few hundered dollars through and see if we can garner a small bit of quality traffic. Every little bit helps pad the bottom line.

The good part is that many of the newer sites and 2nd tiers have actually nailed down the UI pretty damn well. I use these sites to demonstrate to the bigs what they need to do.... not that they really listen, but it's easier to point to something they can see instead of try to explain it.

Discovery
Old 06-09-2006   #7
markette

Smile Kanoodle worked for us, Others might too

Technical issues aside, I think you have to focus on your situation and the specific company you are working with. I have an off-shoot seasonal website in FatBracket, it is an online game that lets you play the NCAA men’s basketball tournament 7 different ways. It sits idle most of the year and then we gear it up each February. This year we tested Kanoodle with great success. I don’t know that Kanoodle is right for all of my businesses, but for FatBracket they worked well. Dollar-for-dollar they out performed Google and Yahoo probably 10:1. Why? I suspect it is because our users have never heard of our game concepts before, hence how could they search for it. Even if a user searches for related content, they tend not to be a fit because our users are hard-core sports junkies that already have their preferred sites for content and thus do not search for it. Kanoodle put us where our target market gets their content and thus it worked for us. So a little counter point that supports testing and retesting for yourself. Good luck!
Old 06-12-2006   #8
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

A Positive Update

I received a number of follow-up calls from Kanoodle and decided to take a second run at their service. An account manager personally selected locations to run our ads and reset the account charged up with the amount we spent previously. (YSM are you reading?!!!)

This time we did get results. Now they were not spectacular, the CPL was a dollar or two above our acceptable range. But we are confident that with a little more fine tuning we can get it into our profit range.

The Kanoodle interface and their network that displays your ads are VERY different than a Search Engine. They are definately a passive audience.

It looks as though their biggest properties are ESPN and FOX, both TV and Sports related so it makes sense that Markettes "product" took hold here.
(thanks for your input Markette.)

Bottom line: Conduct a discovery meeting first. Call and speak with an account manager. Discuss your business/product and what marketing has worked for you on other engines. Let him/her set up the campaign. Even if you're a G or YSM master, don't jump in blind or you will get Kanoodled.

G and YSM take note of Kanoodles truly responsive CS team.

Discovery
Old 06-14-2006   #9
Masterlink2
MasterLink.com

Masterlink2 is on a distinguished road
7Search

Any word on results with 7Search recently?

-Mark
Masterlink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #10
PPC

PPC will become famous soon enough
Only a 99.86% immediate bounce back rate? Looks like they are improving!
PPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #11
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

I understand the skepticism PPC. And one does need to be very careful at any 2nd tier including Kanoodle.

What I have found is that the keyword targeting is not very good.
Behavioral targeting is a miss for this financial service.
Context targeting, which is basically pick the websites you want the ad to run on, can work IF your properly set up tracking and test first with small buys. Our account manager helped us up the learning curve by picking sites for us that have worked for others in our industry. This has proved to be a winning formula thus far, even though its on a very small scale.

The trick with context targeting is that there are a number of low volume sites that you can identify and track with a URL. These produce a small amount of traffic and moderate conversions. The General "network premium" category is just that, a general buy, and you don't know all the sites that your ad runs on. This category is what produces the most traffic and return for us. But again we market a general service that 80% of the general population could use. This may not be the case for others.

I have to point out that is the first 2nd tier network that has actually produced any positive results for us.

Another pleasant surprise is that NONE of our kanoodle traffic is coming from outside the US! Amazing how little old Kanoodle as well as Google and MSN can stop foreign traffic but YSM says it is not technically possible. HMMMMMM.

This satisfies another goal of ours; reduce our spend on YSM as much as possible until they give us control over where our ads run (domestic/foreign/bad partners) and respond to click fraud. Kanoodle has helped us do that by a few %.

Discovery
Old 06-16-2006   #12
mrwholesale

Smile Kanoodle

I'm sure they thank you for your $300 donation. Next year just try $5 and you'll get the same results. I tried to get excited about Kanoodle even several years ago and now with great tracking I feel like I got suckered into the biggest con on the net. I think when they first started only 5% of their users even understood what tracking was or how to implement it, thus the big revenues. I wish them luck and like so many engines they will be judged by the public.