Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > SEM Related Organizations & Events
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2006   #1
evilgreenmonkey

evilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud of
Getting to SES San Jose 2006

Hi Guys,

Would like to go to this SES although flights from London are either really expensive or have so many stop-overs you could end up in Beirut.

Anyone know a good way to get from London Heathrow to San Jose? My current thinking is that if I can fly into one of the big US hubs and then get a short-haul flight, it may give me better options then the usual Travelocity and Expedia offers.

Thanks,

Rob

Last edited by evilgreenmonkey : 06-05-2006 at 10:41 AM.
evilgreenmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #2
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
You should be able to get a direct fligt from London. Coming from Denmark I usually transit through Amsterdam - direct to SF.

I will not reccomend doing a transit with a US city as you have to do all customs and immigration at first entry point and those guys DO NOT care if you make your connecting flight
Mikkel deMib Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #3
evilgreenmonkey

evilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud of
Hi Mikkel,

I liked your orange suite at SES London this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkel deMib Svendsen
You should be able to get a direct fligt from London. Coming from Denmark I usually transit through Amsterdam - direct to SF.
I didn't realise that San Francisco was so close to San Jose. I gather there's an easy bus/train service between the 2 places?

Thanks,

Rob
Old 06-05-2006   #4
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
I believe there is a train but I always just rent a car when am there so I am not 100% sure if bus or train is fastest/easiest
Old 06-05-2006   #5
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
Heathrow to Las Vegas to San Jose is probably a good choice. or just straight into San Francisco, as mikkel says, is probably the best idea.

There is a train from SF to San Jose - the BART line - http://www.transitinfo.org/
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #6
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Don't try to fly direct to San Jose from the UK. You'll break your single flight up into an unneeded two to four hour layover.

Fly direct to San Francisco -- BA, Virgin (my favourite) and many other airlines go direct out of London to SF.

From San Francisco, Bart will shoot you to a train down to San Jose, or you can rent a car, get a cab or take a shuttle van. Check the SFO web site, and I'm sure they have transport tips. I always rent a car, myself.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #7
evilgreenmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysullivan
I always rent a car, myself.
I haven't driven for about a year (live in London) so don't think I'd trust myself with going in a hired car straight onto one of those 5 lane motorways they have over the pond.

Rob
Old 07-01-2006   #8
Hawaii SEO
Aloha,

Hawaii SEO has a spectacular aura aboutHawaii SEO has a spectacular aura about
You should book your hotel ASAP.

I just got done booking my hotel. Both the Marriot & Hilton, which are connected to the convention center are completely booked! I got a room at the Sainte Claire, a Larkspur Hotel which is right across the street.

This hotel wasnt listed on the SES event page as a hotel giving a group or event discount but I asked for the group rate anyway and they gave it to me for the $149.00 + Tax rate that the other two hotels had posted.

I dont remember the Marriot & Hilton being sold out this far in advance last year. Im sure it will be a much bigger event this year than last.

Aloha,
Dave.
Hawaii SEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006   #9
Robert_Charlton

Robert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisabeth
There is a train from SF to San Jose - the BART line - http://www.transitinfo.org/
There is a train from SF to San Jose, but it's not BART... it's Caltrain. I believe that the taxes needed to support BART to San Jose have been voted down twice.

More about SF transit here (it's almost more helpful than the Caltrain site)...
http://wikitravel.org/en/San_Francisco

Quote:
Be aware that public transportation within the South bay is not as developed as around San Francisco.
And be aware that public transportation around San Francisco is not very good either.
Robert_Charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006   #10
evilgreenmonkey

Thanks for all the info guys.

Unfortunately I may not be able to attend now - my governor has taken the same holiday time off and I don't know if I can be off at the same time as him.

I know this place is a wee bit biased, but would you recommend SES San Jose or WMW Pubcon in Las Vegas more? It's a shame that I'm too late to submit a speaking proposal at either event as well.

Rob
Old 07-11-2006   #11
da95649

da95649 is on a distinguished road
hi guys,

I have also booked at the Sainte Clare Hotel at $149 plus the tax, however need some info on the flight.

I either have London to San Francisco (11 hours)at 836 with Virgin, or a London to LA then to San Jose (14 hours) at 768 with AA.

So do I go with the 68 pound saving and a stop over, or direct to SA with the train in mind? Im coming for a week so dont really want to have to hire a car for the whole 7 days.

Any advice would be great.
Darren
da95649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006   #12
shor
aka Lucas Ng. Aussie online marketer.

shor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the rough
Whoa, Marriot and Hilton already sold out?
I'm still in the midst of a SES pitch to senior management. The price of an airfare from Sydney to SF isn't helping! :P

Last edited by Chris Boggs : 07-12-2006 at 10:24 AM. Reason: oops I edited instead of quoting...that was weird...fixed now. :P
shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006   #13
evilgreenmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by da95649
I either have London to San Francisco (11 hours)at 836 with Virgin, or a London to LA then to San Jose (14 hours) at 768 with AA.
I'm sure that Mikkel has made the journey more then most of us - so if he thinks it's worth paying extra to fly direct, it's probably worth treating yourself.

We've just hired another guy for my SEO team at work, so I can probably get the time off. After paying out for flights and hotels, not sure if I can afford the 917.72 exhibition pass though.

Rob
Old 07-12-2006   #14
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

You should definately go direct!

The problem about going through LA (or any other US city) is that the first point of entry is where you have to do customs and immigration and those guys do not care if it takes too much time for you to catch your next flight.

Personallky, I alwasy go direct and most often business class
Old 07-12-2006   #15
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by shor
Whoa, Marriot and Hilton already sold out?
I'm still in the midst of a SES pitch to senior management. The price of an airfare from Sydney to SF isn't helping! :P
I would reserve a room at the St.Claire, just in case. Literally across the street and actually closer to the conference than the Hilton, which I believe is the one all the way at the other end of the convention center.
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006   #16
evilgreenmonkey

Oh dear, the St Claire is now fully booked

Anyone know of a good hotel in close proximity to the Marriott?

Old 07-14-2006   #17
andrewgoodman

andrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to all
The Fairmont would be one.
andrewgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #18
evilgreenmonkey

I know that I get paid a lot less then most people here (spare me your pity ), although $299 a night for a week is a little steep for me