Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization > Link Building
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2006   #1
bobmutch
seocomapny.ca|Project Support Open Source|Top 40 Dirs rated by Inbound Link Quality

bobmutch has a spectacular aura aboutbobmutch has a spectacular aura about
Inbound Link Quality Tools

ILQ (Inbound Link Quality) Tools

Well its been a lot of hard work but v1.0 of my web based ILQ Rating Tool, ILQ Directory Tool, and my Firefox Extension ILQ Rating tool are finished.

You can find these tools at seocompany.ca in the first starter block.

Web Based Tools

ILQ Rating Tool: This is a JavaScript tool that shows the number of dir.yahoo, dmoz.org, .edu and .gov inbound links a web site has and the ILQ value. The information that this tool provides is acquired from Yahoo via their API.

seocompany.ca/directory/ilqtool.html

ILQ Directory Search Tool: This tool is a form tool that shows which directories the entered site are in. This tools is in Beta but I have released it any way. This tools is being converted to JavaScript and will have a better look when finished. It also accesses link information from Yahoo via their API.

seocompany.ca/dirtool/

ILQ Directory Search & Buy Tool This tool is a JavaScript tool that shows which directories the entered site are in. What is different with this tool is that it is integrated into my Top 40 ILQ Directories purchase form. That means you can go to the purchase page and enter in a domain and it will check the purchase check boxes of the directories the domain is not in and give you a price of what it would cost.

seocompany.ca/directory/top-web-directories.html#ilqdir

FireFox Extension

FireFox ILQ Rating Extension This extension shows the number of dir.yahoo, dmoz.org, .edu, and .gov inbound links a web site has. It also shows the sites age, the daily Alexa (this will be changed to 3 month average), and will show the PR in the next version. You can turn any or all of the values off.

Here is how the toolbar looks.

You can down load the extension from this link:
seocompany.ca/downloads/statusextensionilq.xpi

Short primer on ILQ

What is ILQ?

ILQ stands for Inbound Link Quality. It is a measurement based on points given for each dir.yahoo, dmoz.org, .edu, and .gov link. ILQ gives you an indication of the quality of inbound links a web site has.

How does the point system work?

dir.yahoo links get 1 point, dmor.org links get 30 points, .edu links get 45 points, and .gov links get 67 points.

What was your reasoning behind the points values?

A submission to dir.yahoo gets you on the average 15 links. As a dir.yahoo link has the lowest Trustrank weight of the four types of links the ILQ tools messures I gave each dir.yahoo link one point. Next on the list for Trustrank is dmoz.org links.

While getting a link from DMOZ to your own site gives you good ranking juice its not quite the same when you look at getting links from sites that have one or more DMOZ inbound links. I valued the Trustrank transfered from a site that has one dmoz link as twice the value of the Trustrank transfers from a site that has 15 dir.yahoo links or what I would consider the average dir.yahoo submission so each DMOZ link is given 30 points.

I calculated that a .edu link transfers 1.5 times the Trustrank a DMOZ link does when you are getting a link from a site that has .edu and DMOZ links so I gave each .edu link 45 points. Last I calculated that a .gov link transfers 1.5 times the Trustrank a .edu link does so a .gov link was given the value of 67.

Are you suggesting that ILQ is a better measurement than Pagerank (PR) is for a value of a link?

Yes I am! Pagerank is broken and doesn't look like it can be fixed. High PR can be bought where ILQ for the most part has to be earned. While you can buy 15 ILQ points by purchasing a dir.yahoo submission, addition links from dir.yahoo have to be won based on quality not on the amount of money you have.

The same with DMOZ links. While there may be a few corrupt DMOZ editors that will add your site to DMOZ for a favor, most people that try to go this route get there sites blacklisted from offering a bribe to the wrong person. While there are some lower quality sites in DMOZ when a site gets numerous links from DMOZ this almost always indicates the site is a high quality site.

With .edu links there are a few ways to "buy" .edu links (like helping out a student with there education costs in exchange for them reviewing your site on there home page) but for the most part .edu links are given based on the quality of the site.

When it comes to .gov links there is almost no way to "buy" one hence these links have highest Trustrank.

How can high Pagerank be bought?

People go out and buy high PR links and point them at a site and artificially boast the Pagerank of their site. They can produce a PR5 or PR6 site very easy with bought links and then sell the links on that site for $20 to $50 a month. The ranking weight that a site like this passes could be little or none. It is not always easy to tell if a site has gotten there PR naturally or with money. This is one of the main problems with using Pagerank as a guide for the value of having a link from a site.

Last edited by bobmutch : 05-26-2006 at 05:48 PM.
bobmutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006   #2
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
Hey Bob I look forward to taking a closer look at this. I agree that ranking IBL's by PR is quite passe, and I have had generally positive feedback when discussing your last ranking list with others. I'll get back to this asap.
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006   #3
bobmutch
seocomapny.ca|Project Support Open Source|Top 40 Dirs rated by Inbound Link Quality

>>>Hey Bob I look forward to taking a closer look at this.

Thanks Chris.

>>>generally positive feedback when discussing your last ranking list with others.

Do you mean my directory list rated by ILQ?
seocompany.ca/directory/top-web-directories.html

I am working on getting the PRW (Pass Ranking Weight) column finished. It will show which directories pass ranking weight and which ones don't. That is going to be another first for my lists. I havn't seen anyone else doing that.

Here are a couple of samples showing that Skaffe.com and Wowdirectory.com are passing.

skaffe.com
google.com/search?q=Top+Web+Directories+042820061336

wowdirectory.com
google.com/search?q=%22J%26LInnovations,+Inc:+KrashKam+Dispos able+Accident+Camera%22

I look forward getting your feedback when have a closer look.
Old 05-27-2006   #4
BrianHorn

BrianHorn is on a distinguished road
Firefox extention

Where do you save the download so it will work in FF?
BrianHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006   #5
greatkingrat

greatkingrat is on a distinguished road
Save it on your desktop, then click and drag the .xpi file into your Firefox window. It'll then prompt you to install the tool.
greatkingrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006   #6
BrianHorn

BrianHorn is on a distinguished road
Firefox extention

That worked. Thanks.
BrianHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006   #7
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
people providing Firefox extensions can also set the server mime type to allow Firefox to install the extension directly from the site.

adding this line to your .htaccess file

AddType application/x-xpinstall .xpi

should work.

A couple things that would make the tool cooler...
- allow the extension to be turned on or off with a click of a button. Not sure if Yahoo! likes running 4 or so search queries every time a page loads.
- link each of the numbers to the associated search result.

neat idea Bob
Old 05-29-2006   #8
bobmutch

seobook:
>>>A couple of things...

You can currently turn any or everything off.

On the link, that will be in the next version with the Domain Age fixed, PR, and Alexa Ranking changed to the three month average.

The coder that did this for me is also working on a IE toolbar.

Any one else have any suggestions.

Last edited by bobmutch : 05-29-2006 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-07-2006   #9
mandarseo
http://www.e-zest.net

mandarseo is on a distinguished road
Thanks for this funtastic tool. It saved my efforts a lot. The knowledge about ILQ was really worth. I have one little query about the relevancy. Is there any development going on with your tool about telling the relevancy of the linking site?

With regards,
Mandar Thosar
mandarseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006   #10
EricWard-LinkMensch
EricWard.com

EricWard-LinkMensch has a spectacular aura aboutEricWard-LinkMensch has a spectacular aura about
A comment that I hope will not offend you

Bob, it's a remarkable tool and shows a tremendous instinct for link analysis.

A couple notes.

The quality of IBL's from edu's vary WILDLY. A link from a student homepage or school paper web site isn't as valuable as a link from a professor's page, or better yet, the University library site. Give me 10 library links instead of 100 student page links any day. Why? because it's easy for those who are into black hat stuff to buy links from students, wheras a librarian isn't likely to be bought. Thus the content EARNED the link, and the source and reference can be trusted. Engines know this and will tweak algos until they get it right. I hope, anyway.

Likewise with .gov and others. Any TLD has crap, and any TLD has gold.

Variety of IBLs from around the world is also important for some sites, but not all.

As for directory inclusion, I can say with certainty that the older the site the more useless those directory IBLs are.

I rank 1st for all key terms and I'm in only two directories. Why do I rank? I never went after rank. But since I do rank high I can reverse analyze my links and it tells me exactly what they want. The age of my site and overall IBL link profile are the key.

However, for a newer site, the game changes. The new site's IBL profile or "link signature" needs to slowly percolate towards becoming a link signature that looks natural and trustworthy. That said, I see evidence every day that the links that help me rank 1st will not help every site site rank 1st.

So what works for one site WILL NOT work for every site, which is why it's such a challenge to create software/tools that can analyze links with any degree of confidence. In the end, a human still has to make some very tricky decisions about whether or not ANY link is worth pursuing. The answer will be different for every site, and thus the potential link target sites need to be different as well.

Eric Ward
EricWard-LinkMensch is offline   Reply With Quote