Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > MSN Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2006   #1
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
ODP Titles For SERP Titles? Optional at MSN Search!

Check it out http://blogs.msdn.com/msnsearch/arch...22/603917.aspx

Quote:
So what we did was introduce a new option at the page level - a robots meta tag – that tells the MSN search bot not to use the DMOZ site snippet. This is something that only can be done at Web page level, by a webmaster, and is not done as part of the robot.txt file.

So in your Web page you’d put

<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOODP">

or

<META NAME="msnbot" CONTENT="NOODP">
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #2
AnthonyCea

AnthonyCea can only hope to improve
That's great, MSN is making improvements based on input from experts, that is what marketing is all about, meeting the needs of the users of the product, thanks for the information!
AnthonyCea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #3
Brian M

Brian M is just really niceBrian M is just really niceBrian M is just really niceBrian M is just really nice
Thanks! - I'll let you know what happens...

Thanks, Barry! Good catch - I just put the code <META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOODP"> on a home page and I'll let you know what happens...

Brian M

Last edited by Brian M : 05-22-2006 at 06:23 PM.
Brian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #4
pleeker
www.SmallBusinessSEM.com

pleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the rough
This is a great move, thumbs up to MSN. Now what do we do to get Google to follow suit?
pleeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #5
Robert_Charlton

Robert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud of
Quote:
CONTENT="NOODP"
Great news, but, in my experience, the great offender here has not been MSN with DMOZ... it's been Yahoo with Yahoo Directory...

Quote:
...tells the MSN search bot not to use the DMOZ site snippet....
I don't envision Yahoo implementing "NOYAH." We need a universal tag here (actually, I suppose it's an attribute)... something like "NODIR"... to take care of all the engines and directories at once.

Another Indexing Summit should be coming up soon....
Robert_Charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #6
fthead9

fthead9 is on a distinguished road
Please, please Yahoo follow suit

One of our clients has been stuck with a Yahoo SERP description of "Car wax maker" for the last two years even though they don't pay for a directory listing. We've sent numerous emails and correction notices but to no avail. Having a new tag would be a huge help for everyone but especially for those in the Yahoo directory that are stuck with ridiculous titles and descriptions.
fthead9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #7
pleeker
www.SmallBusinessSEM.com

pleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the rough
Amen to that, Robert. When we talk with clients about the Yahoo Directory, we have to warn them that it actually could harm how their site appears in the regular SERPs ... and many choose not to spend the money on the directory listing because of that.

NODIR ... love it.
Old 05-23-2006   #8
Brian M

Brian M is just really niceBrian M is just really niceBrian M is just really niceBrian M is just really nice
"NOODP = No Odd Directory Phrases"

"NOODP = No Odd Directory Phrases" would be fine with me, if only Yahoo and others would obey it so we don't end up with totally useless descriptions like, "Manufactures and sells factory direct" as well as more unique variations of "head" tags that do the same thing.

Brian M
Old 05-23-2006   #9
projectphp
What The World, Needs Now, Is Love, Sweet Love

projectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to behold
OK, so can I ask: what will they show instead? The metadescription tag, or justa Google style snippet? That really isn't clear to me.
projectphp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006   #10
pleeker
www.SmallBusinessSEM.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectphp
OK, so can I ask: what will they show instead? The metadescription tag, or justa Google style snippet? That really isn't clear to me.
Looks like SOP to me: They'll show the meta description if it's there, or grab some text from the page if there's no meta description.
Old 05-24-2006   #11
seoqueen

seoqueen is on a distinguished road
Ok call me ignorant I'll accept that. But why does MSN need to make a META tag for NOODP when all they have to do is change the code a bit in the programming to not accept the ODP description and only grab the META description from the source code and if there is none then grab snippets from the body content.

MSN has control of there own displaying of the results it’s the matter of programming it. A scenario, what if there was NO DMOZ then what would they do?

If search engines can manipulate the algorithm then they can manipulate the displaying of the results. Am I right or wrong?

Is all search engines relying on DMOZ descriptions??? I thought only Google uses DMOZ.

Comments anyone?

Seoqueen
seoqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #12
pleeker
www.SmallBusinessSEM.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by seoqueen
Ok call me ignorant I'll accept that. But why does MSN need to make a META tag for NOODP when all they have to do is change the code a bit in the programming to not accept the ODP description...
Well, yes. A good point....

Quote:
Is all search engines relying on DMOZ descriptions??? I thought only Google uses DMOZ.
MSN and Google use DMOZ; Yahoo uses its own directory.
Old 05-26-2006   #13
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Actually, sometimes Yahoo uses the ODP also. Weird, I know, but true.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006   #14
seoqueen

seoqueen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysullivan
I also have seen some results with ODP in Yahoo.

I was doing some checking and came to this conclusion, it would be wise for MSN to have the option to use the META tag NOODP only because some descriptions in the ODP are very well written and some webmasters or SEO'ers wants to use them. So I guess it can work both ways.

Good choice made by MSN.

SEOqueen
seoqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006   #15
pleeker
www.SmallBusinessSEM.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysullivan
For real? Can't say I've ever seen it myself, but okay. Kind of a slap in the face to Y's very own directory editors.....
Old 05-30-2006   #16
Brian M

Update - 5/30/2006

Yippee! MSN no longer shows the ODP title and description for pages that I am watching! The cache date is 5/27/2006. At least now, I have a chance to convince people to click on the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seoqueen
...because some descriptions in the ODP are very well written and some webmasters or SEO'ers wants to use them.
SEOqueen
Even the best, well written description may need to be changed over time. Besides, why would the directory editors be interested in helping adjust descriptions for SEO or SEM?

Thanks, MSN!

Brian M