Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Other Google Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2006   #1
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Unofficial Google Subscribed Links List

Lots of people are creating subscribed links through the new Google Co-op program. The only problem is that the current Google Subscribed Links Directory isn't listing all of these submissions. Some are listed now; a few more will be added soon, but lots and lots still won't be known to people going to Google Co-op itself. So to help, please contribute to this unofficial list. Got a new link you created and want people to know about. Post the URL below and what it does, briefly. Know of a cool one? Post that as well.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #2
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
I'll kick things off. Barry's put together one of the best ones I've seen so far, a subscribed link that lets you see the top results for various search subjects from his Search Engine Roundtable blog. I'm jealous -- we're working on the same, but it's taking longer. So go Barry -- link is here , if you want to subscribe. How he did it (which may help you do your own) is here .
Old 05-16-2006   #3
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Yea, I rock.

If you guys have questions, let me know...
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #4
detlev

detlev is on a distinguished road
SearchReturn subscribed links

Hello everyone,

SearchReturn plans a relatively elaborate implementation of Google Coop. At the moment, you can access the archives in two formats, either by thread or full issue digest. Quick access to specific threads, such as [google] are going live.

http://www.google.com/coop/profile?u...61154319831551

Example queries include: threads, archive, seo, google and more...

The Alternat Formats page is where we provide further details.

Thanks goes to Danny for this space. Thanks to Barry for the chat that resulted in my adoption of the oddly named Google Co-op.

Stay tuned!
-detlev

Last edited by detlev : 05-17-2006 at 07:38 AM.
detlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #5
shreddies

Thanks to this post I was motivated to knock up a Google Subscribed Links feed for Google Sightseeing. If you search for a Country, U.S. State or Canadian Territory it will show you a couple of recent posts from that area.

View samples or subscribe at our Google Sightseeing Profile Page.
Old 05-17-2006   #6
dannysullivan

I've just gotten the Search Engine Watch subscribed link going. You'll find it here, and I explain more how it works to bring up headlines plus a few tips on getting listed in the real directory and making the feeds here: Get Your SEW Subscribed Link For Google & Resources On Making Them. Barry's already got it!
Old 05-17-2006   #7
TDavid
Programmer, Blogger, Webmaster

TDavid is on a distinguished road
Cool Recent posts from MakeYouGoHmm

Our dynamic subscribed link for MakeYouGohmm has been up for a couple days now. To see recent posts after subscribing just do a search for "hmm"
TDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #8
Tim

Tim is on a distinguished road
Overlapping Subscriptions?

What happens if your subscribed links from separate feeds claim the same keyword(s)?
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #9
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Tim, they pick a source at random see http://www.google.com/coop/docs/faq.html#multiple_links

Quote:
3. What happens if multiple subscribed links are triggered on the same query?

When multiple subscribed links are triggered for the same query, only one of them will be displayed in full, with links to the others. The links to other subscribed links will be what's specified as their more_url output. The subscribed link that appears in full is basically selected at random, but, over time, this process may also take relevance into account.

Multiple subscribed links usually only trigger when their triggers are too generic or ambiguous. Therefore, try to create triggers that are as specific as possible.
Old 05-17-2006   #10
Tim

Tim is on a distinguished road
Programming

Thanks. How long did it take your developer to get it running?
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006   #11
rustybrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
Thanks. How long did it take your developer to get it running?
Few hours. The business logic, of how you want to come up with your keyword list and then how you want to display the results sets, take the most time.
Old 05-18-2006   #12
WOWDezign

OurBransonTrip Subscribed Links

Finally got mine done! Branson area information for vacationers http://www.google.com/coop/profile?u...75150781532227.
Old 05-18-2006   #13
shanaka

shanaka is on a distinguished road
Google sitemap

I would like to know few points abou google site map. after i add google site map xml file into google do i have to uplaod same file into my web server root ? it is help to index my all pages in google index ? please let me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybrick
Yea, I rock.

If you guys have questions, let me know...
shanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #14
rustybrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanaka
I would like to know few points abou google site map. after i add google site map xml file into google do i have to uplaod same file into my web server root ? it is help to index my all pages in google index ? please let me know
This is not Google Sitemaps. It is Google Coop.
Old 05-18-2006   #15
shanaka

shanaka is on a distinguished road
i want to know about google sitemap

i want to know about google sitemap information ?

Quote:
shanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #16
petbadbreath

petbadbreath is on a distinguished road
Sitemaps

Quote:
i want to know about google sitemap information ?
http://www.google.com/webmasters/sit.../protocol.html

or search the fourms here. Your questions have already been answered.
petbadbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #17
petbadbreath

petbadbreath is on a distinguished road
How Does This Help?

Can someone help me understand how the co-op program is supposed to help? Sure, I see the value in people weading through all the nonsense found in a regular search and posting the ones they feel are important, but from what I've seen in a lot of the guides already created they are pretty much self promotion. One guide a saw had a hundred or more links with 95% of them pointing to her own business website.

Unless I'm missing something, how is this 'new' feature supposed to benefit searchers? Looks like it has good intentions, but I see it very quickly becoming a new way for people to redirect people just to content that mainly benefits themselves. Not to say there is anything wrong with making a buck or two but that's what advertising is for, not cramming these guides with links to self-promoting web sites. It quickly dilutes the value to the users.

Interested in getting some feedback on this. Even from the perspective of actually understanding how one would use this to profit all while helping others get what they need/want.
petbadbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #18
TDavid
Programmer, Blogger, Webmaster

TDavid is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by petbadbreath
Can someone help me understand how the co-op program is supposed to help? Sure, I see the value in people weading through all the nonsense found in a regular search and posting the ones they feel are important, but from what I've seen in a lot of the guides already created they are pretty much self promotion. One guide a saw had a hundred or more links with 95% of them pointing to her own business website.
For those with website communities, readers, subscribers, etc, it provides an additional way to target the search results to relevant material that might be buried in the site's archives (and perhaps buried from Google and their own site search).

Google doesn't unearth everything that is relevant at a given site, even with the site targeted search, which I think they clearly realize and are offering site owners an additional tool they can use to build quick reference by keywords. If a lot of people sign up and use these subscribed links then they could at a later date mine this data to move this information up for all users, even those unsubscribed. There is great incentive there for site owners to lead to your point of where is the profit in this.

It's up to the webmaster to explain to subscribed link users why their query results are useful and important enough to show up above all the other results for specific Google queries. The subscriber can judge accordingly if the rubber meets the road.

I'm seeing the subscribed links as a good supplement for a site with a community and/or a good reference of third party sites. Since one can have 100 files and up to 10MB of data, this presents an enormous opportunity to become a useful player in the subscribed links search results or not.

The other thing to consider is that if a guide provides no value to you, then you can easily unsubscribe. It's sort of like a newsletter you sign up for that is 90% spam and you unsubscribe. I think this will have a balancing effect on those who use it primarily as an advertising vehicle instead of helping them to unearth the useful and relevant from their site archives and elsewhere.

And think about (most or primarily) non-text sites like podcasts witout transcripts. This could be a way for a site that has say 30 or 40 podcasts to match those shows to specific, relevant keywords. Those who haven't heard all the podcasts in the article but are looking for specific, relevant shows, this could be helpful.

Some will see this as glass half empty, but as someone who has been on the web publishing for over 10 years, I see this as a win-win-win for subscriber, webmaster and Google.
TDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #19
nish

Got one up for montred. com Here it is: http://www.google.com/coop/profile?u...90916985377978

Last edited by JohnW : 05-18-2006 at 09:39 PM. Reason: removed anchor link
Old 05-19-2006   #20
Stone Cold

Stone Cold is on a distinguished road
Google Coop

We got one up for our site at: http://www.google.com/coop/profile?u...16253664647185.

Our feed provides detailed information on 20,000+ cities and towns across the US.

We also got a headache or two in the process!

To me, it seems like the launch of the Coop program is not fully baked. The idea is cool, and you can imagine that a Google controlled tagging system could become a significant factor in search engine rankings in the future (once there are enough participants).

But the documentation is really rough right now. It took us a lot of trial and error to work through the kinks, and we didn't even get to the tough stuff (dynamic content).

Last edited by Stone Cold : 05-19-2006 at 10:31 PM.
Stone Cold is offline   Reply With Quote