Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization > Link Building
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2006   #1
ulukach

ulukach is on a distinguished road
Forums Spam

hi,

I was wondering if forums spam is something illegal with regarding to SEs?

We have build java module which searches forums which relate to our site content, register to the forum and activate the account & afterwards make some posts with backlinks to point to our site.

I have yet to exercise it since I am not sure it will damage our page rank since it "Spam" the forums.

Did you encountered the implications of Forum Spam on page ranking?

BR
Luk
ulukach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006   #2
mugshot

mugshot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I am not sure it will damage our page rank since it "Spam" the forums.
Are you kidding?
mugshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006   #3
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
hi ulukach, I would say a warm welcome, but your first post is like walking into a Philadelphia bar with a Washington Redskins jersey on and wondering if they would mind if you plastered redskins posters all over the walls. Or perhaps for any Euros like walking into a bar in Amsterdam with a Manchester United jersey on and asking the same thing.

I would certainly hope that your plan would hurt you, but probably at the very least it woudn't help you much. Not to mention your little script and its IP addresses would be banned by most forums that take the time to police such activity.

Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006   #4
ulukach

ulukach is on a distinguished road
thanks chris,

since we are rather new to SEO & rather strong with development knowledge
we are thinking of ways to improve our site rank using software without
being SE hostile, do you have any ideas?

BR
Luk
ulukach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006   #5
mtb167
SEO New Kid

mtb167 is on a distinguished road
well

Forum spam is just not a good idea. People hate it, moderators hate, search engines hate it.

besides, everyone knows comment spam is like way better.
mtb167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006   #6
Archiseek

Archiseek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulukach
hi,

I was wondering if forums spam is something illegal with regarding to SEs?

We have build java module which searches forums which relate to our site content, register to the forum and activate the account & afterwards make some posts with backlinks to point to our site.

I have yet to exercise it since I am not sure it will damage our page rank since it "Spam" the forums.

Did you encountered the implications of Forum Spam on page ranking?

BR
Luk

As an owner of various forums (fora?), I imagine most of your effort will be wasted. Moderators on my sites are instructed to immediately delete any spam posts like this. Loads of people do it and think they're so clever:

"Hi, this is my first post, and I think a good resource for you is http://www.diespammingspawnofsatan.com"

as opposed to

"Visit http://www.diespammingspawnofsatan.com"

It's still spam.
Archiseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006   #7
bobmutch
seocomapny.ca|Project Support Open Source|Top 40 Dirs rated by Inbound Link Quality

bobmutch has a spectacular aura aboutbobmutch has a spectacular aura about
Hey this sounds like fun.

How about equiping your bot with AI and having it post relevant comments to posts. You would set up differnet personalities. Like a Heil personality - any where there is anything said positive about links you could have to post about how link campaigns are ruining the internet and how links are really not required to rank hi.

You could have a database of say 10 sentences per paragraph and say 5 paragraphs and post two paragraphs or three paragraphs with 2 to 4 sentences in each paragraph

This way they would not look the same.
bobmutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006   #8
AnthonyCea

AnthonyCea can only hope to improve
You are not the first one with this idea, others already have posting bots that can post on multiple forums at the same time!

But they did not have the spider that would find relevant threads, you had to input the forums into a form!

I would give you the thread, but for the sake of the community I will not at this time!

One question, are you from Russia
AnthonyCea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006   #9
bobmutch
seocomapny.ca|Project Support Open Source|Top 40 Dirs rated by Inbound Link Quality

>>>One question, are you from Russia

LOL, I used to work in Hosptial 51 and live in the trade center : )

Last edited by bobmutch : 06-02-2006 at 05:08 AM.
Old 06-02-2006   #10
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
We actually had this type of bot here for a while. It would ask interesting sounding questions based on the topic of the thread. It took me 2 posts to figure it out - Marcia got it in one, but she has more years at moderating than me

The basic problem is that the premise of a search engine using links is that a real human decided to "vote" with the link, and the search engine is using that to compensate for computer only decision making. This kind of tactic goes against that (since the link is no longer a vote, but rather a computer program). So search engines hate it off the bat. If they wanted computers controlled by owners to do it, they'd either do it themselves, or go back to looking at metatags.

There is also the assumption among web users that if you have to program robots to vote for you, then your site must not be any good. It's like taking a blow-up doll out on a date to make people think you are popular - it's regarded as desperate, sad and doesn't fool anyone.

Finally, most forum owners and regular members treat forums as a kind of social area, where they can hang out, trade information, and get a sense of belonging. This type of automated link drop is inherently disrespectful of the time, knowledge, sharing and passion the owners, moderators and members have invested in building the community.

In short, it's a bad idea from pretty much every angle.

Ian
Old 06-02-2006   #11
Chris_D

Chris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud of
Yeah - my personal opinion - bad idea.

I've heard that on some forums, the Mods pass the URLs of the worst forum spammers over to their black hat mates - who single out those sites and their associated email addresses for their own kind of 'special attention'...

The problem with forums is you never quite know who you'll upset - and how skilled and 'short fused' they are.....

Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #12
shor
aka Lucas Ng. Aussie online marketer.

shor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the roughshor is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Boggs
Or perhaps for any Euros like walking into a bar in Amsterdam with a Manchester United jersey on and asking the same thing.
More like a Manchester United fan walking into a Manchester City pub. Up the Sky Blues!
shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #13
bobmutch

<<<<How about equiping your bot with AI and having it post relevant comments to posts.

/me looks around and wonders if people really though I was serious
Old 06-16-2006   #14
BaQhnara

Which is quicker? lol

I gotta say that as an internet marketing newbie I am amazed at the amount of time and energy people are willing to spend trying to automate some things. Seems it would be quicker to just post in the forums and who knows you might even find a few friends.

Oh and BTW Hi! I am Pam and I am new here. Hoping to get to know some of you and learn something about what I am getting myself in for. Thanks in advance for all the great tips I know you are dieing to share.

Pam
BaQhnara
Old 06-25-2006   #15
g1smd

g1smd will become famous soon enough
>> >> We have build java module which searches forums which relate to our site content, register to the forum and activate the account & afterwards make some posts with backlinks to point to our site. << <<

>> would certainly hope that your plan would hurt you <<

If not, there are plenty of forum administrators that would wish upon you the the most violent and painful physical harm. Posting that junk is responsible for millions of man hours per year wasted in cleaning out such garbage.
g1smd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006   #16
rajat

Forum spamming is of course illegal and does not form a part of ethical SEO. Never use any spamming software, your site may get banned from forums and even from search engines. Google, of all search engines, gives a very high importance on quality backlinks. But, according to google, that has to be a natural process. Not something which is done overnight with the help of spamming software. You can participate in forums to share latest knowledge about search engine optimization techniques. I believe forum spamming on a massive scale may hurt your page rank.

Last edited by Chris_D : 06-26-2006 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Delinked both live, anchor text rich, self promotional links...
Old 06-29-2006   #17
MarkEllison
SEO Protege

MarkEllison is on a distinguished road
Online Bookmark Sites

What keeps me from going on to online bookmark sites like Netvouz and posting my own sites as a regular guy. I have seen a competitor or two of mine doing the same thing... Google actually counts the link too!
MarkEllison is offline   Reply With Quote