Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2006   #1
denemante

denemante is on a distinguished road
Non optimized pages higher in SERPS than optimized ones???

I have all these pages strategically optimized for certain keywords in a textbook fashion. Then, in the SERPS, for those same keywords, that page isn't even indexed. But some other page that makes like one mention of that term is like #35 on Google.

Perhaps it has something to do with keyword density of the pages that are ranked. Perhaps my SEOed pages are off as far as density (although I tested them to be what I think is ideal). This would mean the pages that are indexed should serve as a template for me.

Or, perhaps the indexed page is somehow pushed up by my SEOed page of the same keyword, and the indexed page has become the anchor page Google sees as valuable?

Note that NONE of these pages that are indexed have any external backlinks or any more internal links than any other page..nor any other reason that I can determine that would be lifting their ranking.

Any ideas???
denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #2
ewc21
Hong Kong SEO

ewc21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by denemante
I have all these pages strategically optimized for certain keywords in a textbook fashion. Then, in the SERPS, for those same keywords, that page isn't even indexed. But some other page that makes like one mention of that term is like #35 on Google.

Perhaps it has something to do with keyword density of the pages that are ranked. Perhaps my SEOed pages are off as far as density (although I tested them to be what I think is ideal). This would mean the pages that are indexed should serve as a template for me.

Or, perhaps the indexed page is somehow pushed up by my SEOed page of the same keyword, and the indexed page has become the anchor page Google sees as valuable?

Note that NONE of these pages that are indexed have any external backlinks or any more internal links than any other page..nor any other reason that I can determine that would be lifting their ranking.

Any ideas???
I am not sure if I get your question but knowing that pages aren't ranked until they get indexed, your pages that are indexed must have at least one incoming link pointing to it in order to be indexed by search engines.

Was your optimized pages over optimized so that they looked spammy to SEs and are therefore not ranked? I don't think it has something to do with one page pushing the rank of the other.
ewc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #3
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
<rant>

I'd like to point out that optimized pages always beat non-optimized pages, by definition.

The thing is, what someone who uses some traditional SEO tactics might consider optimized and what the search engine currently considers optimized may be two very different things.

There are two ways to deal with this: 1) keep doing what isn't working and wondering why the search engine isn't rewarding the "optimization", or 2) allow that your definition of "optimized" is wrong and try to figure out what the search engines are looking for today.

Speaking of which, and while I'm on a rant, there is no such thing as "over-optimized" It's either optimized or it's not. If you go too far with something, then it's not optimum anymore, also by definition.

Between keyword-centric content and the misuse of terms like "optimized", I sometimes think SEO is ruining the English language...

</rant>

Now that I've had my rant, I'll actually address your post. I think the key here (and what set me off) was the term "textbook", and it's implications.

I would suggest that if the textbook is no longer working, that you throw it away and do completely independent research within your SERP to find out what's really happening. You may be surprised.

I have raised the rankings of clients significantly by doing things like removing incoming links (ie ones that were coming in from link trading schemes comes immediately to mind), decreasing KWD, and writing "natural" copy rather than keyword focused copy.

In these cases, I was NOT "de-optimizing", I was optimizing, just doing it differently than that a bunch of articles written 5 years ago were suggesting that I do.

Yours,

Ian