Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Marketing
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2006   #1
Christian at Cabo

Christian at Cabo is on a distinguished road
Post Help Getting My Company Into Wikipedia

I started a wikipeda page for our company Dollar Rent a Car Los Cabos, I put information like our fleet (450cars) our kinds of car, our offices and front desk and the group who handle Dollar Rent a Car Los Cabos, at the end i put our phone number and a link to our website, i didn't use phrases like we are the best and nothing even close to that i just put the facts that describe our franchise in cabo and after a couple of weeks the page was deleted, how can i re-do a page for my company that can be approved and not deleted from wikipedia?
Christian at Cabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #2
pleeker
www.SmallBusinessSEM.com

pleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the rough
Are there dedicated pages for your competitors? If so, that at least tells you it should be okay for your company to have a page, too -- and maybe you just didn't follow the detailed guidelines closely enough.

If there are no similar pages for your competition, then someone must feel it's not appropriate content. I would assume they're touchy about anything appearing to be an overt advertisement, even if you did make sure to present the information in a strictly factual way (as the rules require).

They emphasize in the Policies that it's an encyclopedia, not a yellow pages for business listings. And they do talk about advertising a bit here.

A lot of folks are able to use Wikipedia for advertising by more subtly placing links to their web site(s) on various pre-existing articles.
pleeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #3
Christian at Cabo

Well i haven't seen another franchise location page on wikipedia i've seen the main car rental page, i mean the dollar-thrifty page, national, avis etc. so that's what i thought to do something about our dollar franchise in los cabos, here's exactly the text i use

Dollar Rent a Car Los Cabos, is a car rental franchise runned by Operadora Turistica del Sur, it open it's doors in 1989 and it has been growing since then.

Today Dollar Rent a Car Los Cabos have a car rental fleet of 450 cars, wich is composed by Nissan Tsuru, Dodge Verna, Mitsubishi Lancer, Nissan Sentra, Dodge Neon, Volkswagen Jetta, Dodge Stratus, Mitsubishi Galant, Nissan Altima, Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Liberty, Chrysler Voyager, Chevy Suburban, Pt Cruiser convertible, Cirrus Convertible and Hummer H3.

==Insurance options==
Dollar Rent a Car Los Cabos also offer to it's clients two insurance options, liability and full coverage. The liability insurance provide coverage if the person who rent the car have a car accident because of his/her fault and cause damage to other car, property or injure other people, the person who rent the car will be responsible for the 10% of the Dollar's Car value. The full coverage protect the person who rent the car against theft, damage and accidents.

==Dollar Rent a Car Los Cabos offices==
San Jose del Cabo Airport (3 minutes shuttle required).
San Jose del Cabo private airport.
Cascadas Hotel in Cabo San Lucas.
Main office in Cabo San Lucas (across the paradise mall).
Tesoro Hotel in Cabo San Lucas.
Fiesta Americana Hotel in Cabo San Lucas.
Finisterra Hotel in Cabo San Lucas.
Main office in San Jose del Cabo.
Fiesta Inn hotel in San Jose del Cabo.
Melia Cabo Real hotel in San Jose del Cabo.
Presidente intercontinental hotel in San Jose del Cabo.

==Dollar rent a car Los Cabos contact information==
Airport phone number: 52 + 624 + 14 6 50 60
Email: reservations@dollarloscabos.com
Dollar Rent a Car Los Cabos, online reservations available. (link to our web)
Old 05-08-2006   #4
pleeker
www.SmallBusinessSEM.com

pleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the rough
To me, your text is like a sales brochure. Not heavy on the sales pitch, but still it's all information people would want from a travel agent -- not from an encyclopedia.

I've just looked at the pages for the big corporate car rental agencies, and the pages are brief and have very little info. that would be construed as a sales pitch.

I can't imagine editors would want additional pages for each franchisee out there, so I think you're fighting an uphill battle.
pleeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #5
Christian at Cabo

Smile

I guess you are right, anyway it worth the shoot, thank you
Old 05-08-2006   #6
Robert_Charlton

Robert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud of
I get the sense that while Wikipedia might be interested in a page about the Ford Motor Company, they would not be interested in local Ford dealerships.

A franchise location of a car rental company is a b-i-i-ig stretch, and in my opinion they'd be opening a giant can of worms if they allowed it. I'd be very interested to get the official word.

Wikipedia is an encyclopedia, not a variant of DMOZ.
Robert_Charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #7
ewc21
Hong Kong SEO

ewc21 is on a distinguished road
I would agree with pleeker. The page looks like a sales brochure.

I also got the chance to create a Wikipedia entry for my company. I had history and services pages. Only homepage link and no telephone nor e-mail address as contacts.

Also I mentioned it's part of a category. In our case it's "Companies in Hong Kong" category and not as a stand alone entry.

Sure you can redo it, just don't make it too salesy and also pls check if there is an open discussion regarding why your page was deleted.
ewc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006   #8
michaelzimmer

michaelzimmer is on a distinguished road
Notability

The key criteria for inclusion of your company in Wikipedia is Notability
michaelzimmer is offline   Reply With Quote