Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > MSN Search > AdCenter
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2006   #1
TymArtist

TymArtist is on a distinguished road
No support for Firefox, Safari

Tried to sign up for msn adcenter using Firefox and/or Safari and got this nice little message:

Microsoft adCenter does not currently support the web browser you are using. Please sign in using Internet Explorer 6+. More about system requirements

Funny thing is, the link for "More about system" doesn't even work!

Being on an Apple, this sort of leaves me out of luck. It appears Opera mimics IE and has allowed me to at least sign up, although there are a few form glitches that could be easily fixed. Ouch!

In order for Microsoft to take a dominant role in the SE industry, they're going to have to cater to users and accessibility and all the other commonalities on the web rather than playing lone ranger like they did with software.

How many of the other developers/SEO's out there are still using IE on a regular basis vs. Firefox? It seems that people in the net professions are prone to using a good, tabbed browser.
TymArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #2
grnidone
Righteous Babe.

grnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nice
I feel your pain, Artist. I, too, am on a Mac. And you can't get IE for the mac anymore. So, essentially, you can't use MS adcenter at all, as they support nothing but IE, and don't support IE for the mac.
grnidone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #3
psurplus

psurplus is on a distinguished road
it is possible to use IE on mac's, you just have to find it somewhere to download. we have a copy here on our mac for browser testing.
psurplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #4
TymArtist

TymArtist is on a distinguished road
For a while, msn.com didn't even work on IE for Macs, and although it does now nothing displays properly (it seems to be a constant problem browser). The requirement for Adcenter is to have IE6+, and the last version of IE for Mac is 5.2 - they stopped support on it.

I did just load up the adcenter registration and it appears to work in IE for Mac despite the version. The idea is that I shouldn't have to try to register but just be able to, I've wasted about 20 minutes trying to find a browser that works with their setup
TymArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #5
psurplus

i also know of a plugin for firefox that runs IE, again though it runs off your current IE installed. Wish I could help you more. All I could find as a visitor to our site was IE 5.23 on a mac.

don't be too discouraged, hang in there. I spoke with an AdCenter member and they said before june when it goes live there will be support for other non IE browsers.
Old 05-22-2006   #6
pleeker
www.SmallBusinessSEM.com

pleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the rough
6 weeks

I spoke with Brian Burdick of MSN this past Friday at the SEW Live event in Seattle, and he said they're well aware of the need for Mac support and that it should be ready in about 6 weeks.

So there ya have it.
pleeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006   #7
Pirate Princess
Pirate Princess

Pirate Princess is on a distinguished road
IE browser cleared up...

Microsoft adCenter currently only supports IE 5.5 and 6.x

IE7 is in Beta Stage and isn't supported.

Microsoft is currently working to support other services but til then its IE 5.5 and 6.x
Pirate Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #8
psurplus

Welcome to Q3 of 06 (starts tomorrow). When is our desired Firefox support coming for conversion code going to be released? Microsoft can't keep sitting on this one. With their delay in shipping Vista, they are going to need to release somethings to really entice more advertisers to use AdCenter. Pleeker, if you spoke with Burdick in May, then we are nearing that 6 week timeframe for Mac support very soon, why not Firefox users as well?
Old 07-03-2006   #9
pleeker
www.SmallBusinessSEM.com

pleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurplus
Welcome to Q3 of 06 (starts tomorrow). When is our desired Firefox support coming for conversion code going to be released? Microsoft can't keep sitting on this one. With their delay in shipping Vista, they are going to need to release somethings to really entice more advertisers to use AdCenter. Pleeker, if you spoke with Burdick in May, then we are nearing that 6 week timeframe for Mac support very soon, why not Firefox users as well?
Yep, it was May 19, so we are at six weeks now. Then again, we all know to take MSFT timeframes with an enormous grain of salt, right?
pleeker is offline   Reply With Quote