Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization > Link Building
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2004   #1
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Slickest Link Building Tricks

What are the slickest and most effective ways you have personally done (or seen others do) link building campaigns?
Old 08-16-2004   #2
massa

massa is just really nicemassa is just really nicemassa is just really nicemassa is just really nicemassa is just really nice
#3. Distribute and PLACE articles with your link on them on other people's websites.

I've heard a lot of people say a slick way of getting links is to write articles. Actually, WRITING articles gets you links on one site. --- YOURS.

The slick part is getting other people to put your articles with a link to you on their sites. Getting them to do it for free is time consuming and gives you no guarantee of anyone doing it or anyone keeping doing it. It does work, but in my experience not as well or as cheaply as just finding and renting the links you want. Making this the least slickest way I'll post here.

#2 Offer to pay a fair price for renting space on another's web site, (for whatever reason you have for wanting it). I know it sounds crazy, but it seems to work.

The trick is in finding the sites you "really" want and then getting the webmaster to realize you are for real and not just another SEO, (whatever that is), begging for a free link.

#1. By far, of these three slick ways, this is the slickest.

Pissing people off using graphics and obscure phrases, (usually taken out of context), so that when the pisseee, (or their cronies), wants to discuss it, they have little choice but to link to the page. Do it correctly and the anchor text is built in.

I've seen this technique used many times in this very forum.

>flame on<

Last edited by massa : 08-16-2004 at 12:28 PM.
massa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004   #3
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
"Do it correctly and the anchor text is built in." - I love this line

I have done really well w #3. I have participated a few times in #1. I am usually too cheap for #2...its something I got to work on
Old 08-16-2004   #4
Nick W

Nick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the rough
>>flame on

Wouldnt dream of it, nice post

Somthing im having some success with:

Build a directory on a broader scope than your target site (say you sell ford cars, build a car directory) and then request links in the normal way, with the added benefit that you've already linked to them from the directory. Avoids reciprocation, webmasters seem to like it...

Nick
Nick W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004   #5
Daria_Goetsch
SEOExplore.com - SEO Research Directory

Daria_Goetsch has a spectacular aura aboutDaria_Goetsch has a spectacular aura about
#3 is what I use, writing articles to place on other websites. Not only good link building, but contacts from new prospective clients as well. And the articles help people who want to learn more about SEO. A win-win situation. If you make the right connections, the websites will pick up your articles on publication which makes it pretty easy for the author.
Daria_Goetsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004   #6
seobook
I'm blogging this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_Goetsch
If you make the right connections, the websites will pick up your articles on publication which makes it pretty easy for the author.
I got a few deals like that.

One thing that is hard is being constantly original though, even if you are creative. much of the stuff overlaps.

I still try hard not to make articles about meta tags though

another thing that helps me is moderating forums. footer links from over 100,000 pages adds a bit to ones relevancy
Old 08-17-2004   #7
seomike
Md_Rewrite Guru

seomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to behold
Article spam isn't a good all around method since you can't really apply it to clientel and still be profitable.

I like the word pisseee lol don't you just love how you can tweek the english language
seomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004   #8
Daria_Goetsch

Daria_Goetsch has a spectacular aura aboutDaria_Goetsch has a spectacular aura about
Seomike, not article spam. You send an article to a small number of designated quality sites, not to everyone. That's how it works best. Applying to clientele? Well, if it brings in new clients, that must be worth something.
Old 08-17-2004   #9
Daria_Goetsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by seobook
One thing that is hard is being constantly original though, even if you are creative. much of the stuff overlaps.
Definitely takes some time. If I produce one article a month, that's normal.

Quote:
I still try hard not to make articles about meta tags though
LOL.

Quote:
another thing that helps me is moderating forums. footer links from over 100,000 pages adds a bit to ones relevancy
Absolutely. Plus, you build your reputation in the industry and most importantly, you help others. Another win-win situation.
Old 08-17-2004   #10
seomike
Md_Rewrite Guru

seomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to behold
Daria the thing about articles is every SEO newbie can write one. Flooding the net with old, out dated, hasty articles really is a diservice to all of us. It waters down the good articles. Not only that but look at all the SEO articles that were written a year ago. Most of them are out dated yet people will read and believe. That is why I call it article spam
Old 08-17-2004   #11
critter
Underpromise; Overdeliver

critter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the rough
So writing articles about your industry and leasing these articles in a sense to other webmasters for backlinks?

My only question/confusion is who hosts the articles. If the webmaster you are doing the link exchange will place the article right on their website, how can one be certain they won't tamper with the article?

Thanks

CRITTER
critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004   #12
seomike
Md_Rewrite Guru

If you do write articles I would keep them on your site and ask people to link to the articles that way if they are out dated you can update them or 301 them to something more relavent
Old 08-17-2004   #13
critter

critter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the rough
If thats the case SEOMIKE, how does writing articles as Daria_Goetsch discussed work as a non-recip link strategy?

Isn't the idea to write these articles, which contain links back to your sites, and then have these articles placed on relevant websites to serve as a non-recip backlink?

CRITTER
Old 08-17-2004   #14
seobook
I'm blogging this

most of the articles do get dated quite quickly unless they talk of things from a general sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter
So writing articles about your industry and leasing these articles in a sense to other webmasters for backlinks?

My only question/confusion is who hosts the articles. If the webmaster you are doing the link exchange will place the article right on their website, how can one be certain they won't tamper with the article?
Thanks
CRITTER
if they change stuff and you do not want them to then they lose the ability to publish your future articles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seomike
If you do write articles I would keep them on your site and ask people to link to the articles that way if they are out dated you can update them or 301 them to something more relavent
I date my articles at the top of the article.

at the bottom of the article I add this blurb
"This article may be syndicated in whole are part. Simply provide a link back to the original article or http://www.search-marketing.info. Please note that I do not usually update articles over time and the date last modified on article pages is usually referring to a navigational change."
Old 08-17-2004   #15
critter

So the articles sit on your site or the webmaster u r doing the link exchange with?

CRITTER
Old 08-17-2004   #16
seobook
I'm blogging this

Quote:
So the articles sit on your site or the webmaster u r doing the link exchange with?

CRITTER

I put them on my site and then alert interested parties to their existance. interested parties usually copy them to their sites. some sites will give you a login and allow you to upload articles right into their sites.
Old 08-17-2004   #17
critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seobook
I put them on my site and then alert interested parties to their existance. interested parties usually copy them to their sites. some sites will give you a login and allow you to upload articles right into their sites.
So the non-recip exchange in this case would happen how?

You provide a link to a webmasters site, and you also search out other articles to have links placed on linking to your site?

Do you have a website live using this method?

Thanks

CRITTER
Old 08-17-2004   #18
Daria_Goetsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by seomike
Daria the thing about articles is every SEO newbie can write one. Flooding the net with old, out dated, hasty articles really is a diservice to all of us. It waters down the good articles. Not only that but look at all the SEO articles that were written a year ago. Most of them are out dated yet people will read and believe. That is why I call it article spam
As I said before, send out to only a selected number of quality sites. That means if you are going to use this method, write quality articles. As seobook said, date your articles. I always have a copy of the original article archived on my website, it is dated as well. And yes, at some point articles are outdated. That doesn't mean all the information contained in it is irrelevant.

Write quality, not quantity.

Quote:
Most of them are out dated yet people will read and believe.
Isn't that true of forum posts as well then?

This idea is not limited to SEO articles, this can be used for any topic the author wants to write about.

Last edited by Daria_Goetsch : 08-17-2004 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-17-2004   #19
seobook
I'm blogging this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_Goetsch
This idea is not limited to SEO articles, this can be used for any topic the author wants to write about.
SEO is just marketing and spreading ideas to search engines. there are tons of different ways to do that.

SEO relates to a ton of different things.
Old 08-17-2004   #20
Daria_Goetsch

Quote:
So the non-recip exchange in this case would happen how?

You provide a link to a webmasters site, and you also search out other articles to have links placed on linking to your site?
Basically it is giving away free content to the other website, so there is no reciprocal link involved.

Also, remember to use copyright information in your author bio/link section of your article.

Quote:
Do you have a website live using this method?
Here are a few sites that list SEO articles in this way:

http://www.searchengineguide.com
http://www.seotoday.com

Last edited by Daria_Goetsch : 08-17-2004 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Added content