Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2006   #1
briandoakes
NewYawkSeahawk

briandoakes will become famous soon enough
Any way to unindex older non existent pages?

so i got my new site up last week, and the majority of the new pages have already been indexed by Google.

However, alot of my old site pages are still indexed by Google. These pages have been since removed from my site, so if a person clicked on them from Google, it will bring you to the new "Error Page" which is part of my new site.

# 1. is it bad that these old non existent pages are still indexed by Google?

# 2. will it hurt me that they are still indexed?

If so.... how can I have those non existant files un indexed from Google?

thanks in advance,
Brian
briandoakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #2
martinuboo
Free Directory Listings Reviews

martinuboo will become famous soon enough
Does your new "error page" return a 404 - Page Not Found - status code? If so, the SEs will eventually drop those pages. If your error page returns a 200 status code (via a 302 errordocument redirect), they will probably stay in the index, but the content of the error page will be indexed and that will lead to duplicate content issues (you will have multiple page names with the same "error page" content).

Search engines (especially Google) are pretty slow at removing 404'd pages, so be patient.

If you want to remove the non-existent pages manually in Google, you can use the URL Removal Console (services.google.com:8882/urlconsole/controller - it's not resolving for me right now), but be very careful, as it's easy to remove your entire site. The removal lasts 6 months.
martinuboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006   #3
briandoakes
NewYawkSeahawk

briandoakes will become famous soon enough
great thanks...

yes the new error page returns a 404 code... so I will just let Google phase it out itself.
briandoakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #4
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Always redirect your 404 erros to a current page... 1. why waste the traffic... 2. if you 301 the pages then the placement impact goes with it.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #5
maildeepak
www.cdkhosts.com

maildeepak is on a distinguished road
if the old pages are totally irrelevant to your current website, then you can also give the http code 410 (GONE) status. Once the search engines encounter this code, they will stop requesting the pages.

I have implemented this in two of my client sites. Gotta see if this is gonna affect the site in any way possible...
maildeepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #6
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by maildeepak
if the old pages are totally irrelevant to your current website, then you can also give the http code 410 (GONE) status. Once the search engines encounter this code, they will stop requesting the pages.

I have implemented this in two of my client sites. Gotta see if this is gonna affect the site in any way possible...
The idea of giving away any potential PR or even links to your site is one I have a hard time doing.
If they are not what the new site is about why not land them to a page that explains what changes have happened at the site - that way the people who have the inbound links can choose and the visitors can learn what has changed at the site without having to put the information on the homepage.
Old 04-27-2006   #7
martinuboo
Free Directory Listings Reviews

martinuboo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
The idea of giving away any potential PR or even links to your site is one I have a hard time doing.
If they are not what the new site is about why not land them to a page that explains what changes have happened at the site - that way the people who have the inbound links can choose and the visitors can learn what has changed at the site without having to put the information on the homepage.
I have usually been trying to eliminate "problem" pages from the index when I 404 them, but this is an interesting approach and I will give this a try.

Thanks AussieWebmaster.
martinuboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #8
AussieWebmaster

Always keep the traffic sources.... at least I try whereever I can.