Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What Should To Midpage Results Be Called?
Alternative Results 1 7.69%
Alternative Searches 1 7.69%
MidBox Results 2 15.38%
Related Results 8 61.54%
TopicBox Results 1 7.69%
The Cluster 0 0%
Clustered Results 1 7.69%
SERP Sandwich 1 7.69%
SuggestionBox 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2006   #1
GoogleGuy
Unofficial Representative

GoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of light
Lightbulb Google Confirms Mid-Page "See Results For" Section No Longer A Test; Suggest A Name!

In fact, this is no longer a test. We do this when we see a query (e.g. [katrina] or something similar) that we think might benefit from a refinement, (e.g. maybe you wanted to search for [hurricane katrina]).

I'll try to ask about getting some documentation up to mention this.
GoogleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #2
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
I split GoogleGuy's comment off from another thread, so we can have a fresh discussion of this feature, now that it is confirmed as no longer a test.

I've also merged comments from that thread into our long-standing thread on that topic and closed it. You can see the past discussion and examples here: New Middle Of The Page "More Results" Experiment On Google.

Finally, Google needs a name for the feature. I blogged a bit more about this here: Google Confirms Midpage "See Results For" Results Out Of Testing -- What Should They Be Called?.

Let's give them a hand. What do you think these should be called? I'm suggesting "MidBox Results," which is inline sort of with the OneBox Results they put into the top of the page.

Put some ideas out there, then I'll gather them up later to do a proper voting poll for the thread.

Last edited by dannysullivan : 04-06-2006 at 07:43 AM.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #3
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
I'm more for "alternative searches".
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #4
Gurtie
I am woman, hear me whine

Gurtie is a jewel in the roughGurtie is a jewel in the roughGurtie is a jewel in the roughGurtie is a jewel in the rough
useless?
Gurtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #5
Chris_D

Chris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud of
Quote:
What do you think these should be called? I'm suggesting "MidBox Results,"
How about: NFI? FIG - JAM

Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #6
scangilli

scangilli is on a distinguished road
I agree with Danny. MidBox Results sounds just fine
scangilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #7
kid disco
SEO Hotshot Extraordinaire

kid disco is on a distinguished road
Plug

Junction

Coupling

kid disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #8
Robert_Charlton

Robert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybrick
I'm more for "alternative searches".
I concur. Something like "alternative searches," "suggested alternative searches," or "alternative results."
Robert_Charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #9
rdt

So far as I can make out, in all the examples I've seen, this section is equivalent to a single one of the topic clusters that Clusty would show in response to the same search.

So, what the Mid-page "See results for:" section represents is a topic suggestion, or a query refinement suggestion.

Rather than focus solely on where it happens to appear in the SERPS, i.e. "mid page", why not capture what this feature actually represents in its name? That would seem to make more sense, as names that convey more meaning stick in people's minds and are more useful.

e.g. Topic Section, Topic Results, Topic Suggestion.

and to make it snappy sounding, I propose "TopicBox Results".

Last edited by rdt : 04-06-2006 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-06-2006   #10
Seekz
Seekz.com

Seekz is on a distinguished road
I think it should be called Related Results. I noticed the Andy Cole related results have been removed after the controversy it caused.
Seekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #11
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Added a poll now. I might be enticed away from MidBox to TopicBox. I'll add more to the poll if we get further suggestions. Sorry, Gurtie, Useless made me laugh but didn't include it
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #12
Gurtie

Gurtie is a jewel in the roughGurtie is a jewel in the roughGurtie is a jewel in the roughGurtie is a jewel in the rough
oooh - you wanted constructive suggestions???

ok - useless was a bit unfair - I love Clusty and this is basically the same, just they add it in a really irritating place. So I suggest we pay homage to the place Google got the idea from, despite Marissa's protests that its not really very useful, and just call it 'the cluster'
Old 04-07-2006   #13
mahlon

Strange MidBox results

Why do you suppose that a search for [endangered species Africa] returns MidBox results for "cookie recipes"?
Old 04-07-2006   #14
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
None of the above, it's a SERP Sandwich.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006   #15
Genie

Genie has a spectacular aura aboutGenie has a spectacular aura aboutGenie has a spectacular aura about
SuggestionBox ?
Genie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006   #16
ewc21
Hong Kong SEO

ewc21 is on a distinguished road
Do we have to use a new fancy term?

I'd like to go for "Alternative Search Results" but it's not there. I am voting anyway.
ewc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006   #17
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
Here's a few

But I have to say SERP Sandwich is great.

Sociallinks
communitylinks
Clickset
Linkrelations
Linkset
Clickbatch
linkrelate
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006   #18
andrewgoodman

andrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to all
Just another me too post

I'd almost wonder if it wouldn't be worth taking a step back and talking more about the purpose behind the alternative results, and the purpose behind putting them in that spot.

I assume it's all along the lines of:

* Popular, more specific searches
* What searchers usually or often mean/want

So to take it one step further, it's all about telling us what we would have typed had we not been lazy/clueless.

But WhyAreYouSoLazy is already patented by Richard Simmons, or is it Tom Vu.

So as for a name, I'm at a loss. I liked the SERP Sandwich, but that's a bit pedestrian. I would prefer SERP Burrito With All the Fixins.
andrewgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006   #19
Gurtie

I've gotta say that in order for the name to be generally used it has to be short and catchy and while 'Related Results' is all very nice and descriptive and coming top in the vote its not exactly calling out to become a catchphrase.....
Old 04-13-2006   #20
Wilksy
Ben Wilks

Wilksy is just really niceWilksy is just really niceWilksy is just really niceWilksy is just really niceWilksy is just really nice
Personally I think it's crap. Rarely related and cluttered.

.: SERP Sandwich - and a bad one too.

ok Enough ranting.
Wilksy is offline   Reply With Quote