SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Ask.com
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2006   #1
sheseltine
Yorkshireman

sheseltine is on a distinguished road
Ask's TV Commercials

It looks like the Ask.com advertising push has started, I saw a tv commercial last night for the new site. It involved a couple of scientists and a talking Orang-utan (I guess the talking chimps were too busy advertising tea)
sheseltine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #2
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
I am trying to find them online, they are pretty creative commercials, imo.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #3
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybrick
I am trying to find them online, they are pretty creative commercials, imo.
C'mon RB - you have some pull over there - you must be able to get them to put them somewhere on Ask.com

some are funny, but i've seen one or two now that aren't as good as the others.
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #4
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
True.

Well, I am told the commercials should be live at the Ask Blog sometime today.

We will see.
Old 03-24-2006   #5
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
We've had them in the UK for a couple of weeks now with the new Ask brand; before that, we still had them for Ask Jeeves. Maybe I'll post some screenshots.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #6
GaryTheScubaDiver

GaryTheScubaDiver is on a distinguished road
I've seen them here (Atlanta, GA) for almost 2 weeks now. They have motivated me to add Ask.com to my daily chores.
GaryTheScubaDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #7
rustybrick

It's live at http://blog.ask.com/2006/03/ask_in_primetim.html
Old 03-27-2006   #8
Tim

Tim is on a distinguished road
Media Arbitrage?

Is Ask using the media campaign to build their brand awareness while
also expecting to mitigate the campaign's cost with Google ad revenues?
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #9
rustybrick

I think they are trying to build the brand, first and foremost.

I doubt they are thinking, they are advertising on TV, to realize an immediate source of ad income from the PPC side of things.
Old 03-27-2006   #10
vayapues
10 kinds of people in the world. Those who know binary numbers, and those who don't

vayapues is just really nicevayapues is just really nicevayapues is just really nicevayapues is just really nice
Saw the ads for the first time yesterday in SLC, UT. But than again, I don't watch much TV, they could have been here longer.

I was impressed with them. Direct, and informative. I had not played around with the new Ask.com search tools since last month when they were launched. The ads prompted me to go back and use them a bit.

With G still gaining market share, Ask has a long way to go. I am glad they are in the game though. The more the merrier.
vayapues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #11
Jonathan Mendez

Jonathan Mendez will become famous soon enough
So their big pitch to users is more tools. "Feel human, use tools" I think was the message. The other message I got was "saves time" by using the previews and not having to click.

If it gets people to try out the new ask.com then I guess it works. But I'm afraid that's not enough differentiation for most.

I think the SE is the tool in the minds of users. What ask.com is selling are the tools for using the results. Hard sell in my opinion. I feel pretty human when I read too.

As far as saving time by using binoculars this seems to be a circa 2002 issue. Raise your hand if you are on 56 Kbps. Is it that much trouble to click and use your back button. Of more concern there are usability issues with the previews and worst of all the cached pages seem to be out of date. The one test search I did on "sneakers" shows a preview of Foot Locker's holiday sale homepage. Of course 3 months later this is hardly a preview. More like a postview.

I will say that I do now use ask.com's image search as part of my regular image searching routine. They might be better served touting some more specialized search applications to try and win hearts and minds.
Jonathan Mendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006   #12
kmm

Does anyone know the title of the song in the background of Ask.com's cafe commercial in which users act like chimps (evolve)? It has a reggae type rhythm and I am wondering if was written for them or if it is availabe...
Old 05-07-2006   #13
emonmare

emonmare is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up ask commercial

after hearing so much about this commercial and never been able to see it on air, it was nice to be able to find it here. I was pleasantly surprised by it's creativity and humor (which most commercials lack these days). The internet cafe concept was hilarious as the humonkeys totally appear to have had way too much caffeine as they embark on their quest for "searching".

Last edited by emonmare : 05-07-2006 at 02:22 PM.
emonmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006   #14
sheseltine
Yorkshireman

sheseltine is on a distinguished road
Got to say that I'm not that thrilled with the new commercials - "If librarians use it, it's got to be good for you"... I expected a little bit more humo(u)r or a catchy tag line
sheseltine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006   #15
pleeker
www.SmallBusinessSEM.com

pleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the rough
The guy-monkey swinging from the light fixture in the Cafe spot is hysterical -- love it!

I also saw a Flash-based web banner ad for Ask about a week ago that was very effective. It was an incredibly fast scroll down through what appeared to be Google's SERPs -- just kept scrolling and scrolling, and so fast you had to watch it. And then it faded into the message about finding what you want with tools on Ask.com.
pleeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006   #16
emonmare

emonmare is on a distinguished road
Wink ask commercial

this commercial was actually filmed at Love Birds Cafe in Pasadena CA so I was trying to see if the place was recognizable at all. all I recognized was the light fixture and the counter.
emonmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006   #17
lfcsupreme

ASK or Yahoo

After checking out the new ASK.com? How would you rate it against Yahoo? I'm not keen on Yahoo's layout but their results seem okay.

Thoughts anyone?