Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2006   #1
kevin4fun
SEO Consultant

kevin4fun is on a distinguished road
Question Page Title

Could anyone tell me how many characters we should have in the page title? Does it matter if the titile has stopwords? or I have more than 3 commas in it?
Where can I find such info to reply my concerns?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by kevin4fun : 03-22-2006 at 05:27 AM.
kevin4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #2
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
As many characters as you like. There's no rule about this. But keep in mind that search engines generally only display the first 75 to 150 characters, so longer than that won't be seen. I generally recommend short, headline style titles that use your main keywords but also are enticing to those seeing your listing. Nope, stopwords don't matter. Have as many commas as you like, as well.

Here's the thing. Sounds like you've heard titles are important, so you want to cram as many keywords into your title as possible, probably something like this:

Widget1, widget2, widget 3 and widget 4, widget5, widget6, widget7, widget8, widget9, widget10....

That's an ugly title. Pick your top two or three terms for the particular page, then incorporate them into a good title for that page designed for a human to read.

CompanyTron: Discount Prices On Widget1 & Widget2, With Free Shipping
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #3
kevin4fun
SEO Consultant

kevin4fun is on a distinguished road
Thanks Danny for your kind and prompt response. I'm now clear!
Maybe that's general for major SEs including Google. But a SEO tool (Web CEO) warned me about comma and stopword usage. I hope such warnings only matter with MSN

Last edited by kevin4fun : 03-22-2006 at 09:56 PM.
kevin4fun is offline   Reply With Quote