Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2006   #1
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
AdWords "Starter" and "Standard" Accounts

I was just setting up a new account at AdWords today and received an option to go with the "Starter" plan or a "Standard" plan, as described below:

Quote:
Starter Edition
Create a single text ad with simplified options. Recommended for those who are new to Internet advertising. Move up to the Standard Edition at any time.

Standard Edition
Use our full range of AdWords features and functionality: advanced bidding options, multiple campaigns, conversion tracking, and more. Recommended for experienced Internet advertisers and medium- or large-sized businesses.

Compare in Greater Detail
I am curious if anyone has tried the "Starter" plan has any feedback.
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006   #2
texken

texken is on a distinguished road
Hummm - that's new. It sure would be nice if there was one place in the Adwords system where you could go and view summaries of all the new tools, interfaces, names etc that Google seems to toss out there on a seemingly daily basis.
texken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006   #3
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
I thought our AdWordsRep was going to do this....
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006   #4
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of
Quote:
Hummm - that's new. It sure would be nice if there was one place in the Adwords system where you could go and view summaries of all the new tools, interfaces, names etc that Google seems to toss out there on a seemingly daily basis.
A good point, texken, which I've just pasted into this week's Advertiser Feedback Report.

Meanwhile, the Inside AdWords blog is currently your best source of updates regarding new releases. Please note that, by design, not every release is mentioned right away - so that they may scale at a reasonable rate. Still, many if not most new features are highlighted on the blog within a short time of their launch.

So, I hope you all will check out Inside AdWords frequently, right here: http://adwords.blogspot.com/

Quote:
I thought our AdWordsRep was going to do this....
I can take a hint, Aussie, and your point is very well taken.

Since you bring it up, it sounds like a good time to tell you all in a straightforward way why I am posting less often that before, just to set reasonable expectations moving forward.

So. Yes, I used to post more, but...

* An interesting tradeoff has occurred since I originally started posting on this Forum. I am now much more deeply connected with the product development process than when I first started posting. However, the offsetting disadvantage is that this gives me much less time to post in this Forum and others, than in the past

* Secondly, at first I was posting in one place, then two (when I started in this Forum), then three, and now four. So, as noted above I have less time to post - but twice as many places in which to do it.

* Finally, one of my major functions at AdWords has always been to forward feedback from this and other Forums to the folks that design AdWords - and although I am posting less often than before, I continue to pass feedback on to the right teams each week. I see this as my most important value to everyone on this Forum, by the way - since, more than ever, I have the ear of the right teams within Google.

So, my apology if I am not meeting expectations. Bottom line, though, I used to have about four hours a day to post on two Forums, and now I have about one hour a day to post on four.

I'm doing the best I can for all y'all, however, and I still very much enjoy my time on this Forum.

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006   #5
Jenstar

Jenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of light
These must be US-only, because I don't seem to get the option for a Starter Edition account in Canada.
Jenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006   #6
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
Really Jenstar? hmm wonder if it's all of US or just a test market...

Maybe AdWordsrep could come back in here and give his opinion on the initial subject.
Old 03-21-2006   #7
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of
Quote:
am curious if anyone has tried the "Starter" plan has any feedback.
Quote:
Maybe AdWordsrep could come back in here and give his opinion on the initial subject.
Well, I haven't tried it myself, but I can sure link to a bunch more info about it.

Starter Edition FAQ:
https://adwords.google.com/support/b....py?topic=8336

Here are the basics, excerpted from that FAQ:

Quote:
What is AdWords Starter Edition?

Starter Edition is a simplified version of AdWords for new users.

New users have sometimes asked us for a fast way to create and run an ad with just the most basic campaign choices. Starter Edition is the answer.

Starter Edition lets users create an AdWords account with a single ad, using a one-page signup form. Users write their ad, target locations and keywords, and choose a currency and monthly budget. Once their account is activated, the ad starts running. The user's account page is also simplified, showing key information for each keyword and allowing simple changes to the ad and the account. The Google Budget Optimizer automatically determines when to show your ad to earn the most clicks possible within your monthly budget.

Starter Edition is an excellent way to get your ad up and running when you want to deliver a single message to a specific audience. It does come with limitations: only text ads and keyword targeting are allowed, and only one ad is possible. Advanced features like conversion tracking, multiple campaigns and Ad Groups, are only available with the full-featured AdWords Standard Edition. The good news is, you can graduate from the Starter Edition to Standard Edition any time you like. Both versions of AdWords cost nothing extra -- after a nominal setup fee, you pay only for the ads you run...
My thought is that most of you on this Fourm will not be interested in this option for yourself, but it may be of use to some of your clients who might want a very straightforward AdWords account.

Then, Jenstar said...
Quote:
These must be US-only, because I don't seem to get the option for a Starter Edition account in Canada.
Hi Jenstar - and sorry. I missed your post till now.

Yes, it is US only at present, with 100% of US advertiser now seeing the option. It'll be launched to all advertisers globally in near future. (I'm even tempted to say in the very near future, but I do so hate to be wrong in front of hundreds of people. So I'll just stick with a simple 'near future'.)

Now, if any of you have tried it and want to comment, please feel free. I'll happily pass your thoughts on to the folks in the the Starter Edition team.

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006   #8
Chris Boggs

thanks AWR...you got me on that one. You should try it! There is some feedback over at webmasterworld

(added: this is for others' benefit...you've been there AWR, I think, unless you have an evil twin)

Last edited by Chris Boggs : 03-22-2006 at 09:50 AM.