Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > SEM Related Organizations & Events
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2004   #1
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
SEMPO & Board Elections

An issue that's come up repeatedly in the discussions about SEMPO's future has been how new board members are added and when existing board members will come up for election. For past background, see the Mike Grehan Stirs Up SEMPO Controversy and SEMPO Meeting at SES San Jose 2004 threads.

At the SES meeting, it SEMPO explained that existing board members begin to come up for election in staggered stages starting next year and that three new board member position would be opened up for voting by the end of this year.

This thread is to discuss this plan. OK with you? Think the elections should come sooner? Have nominations for the new board spots (and no, don't say me -- not looking for a ping, nor do I have the time!).

Last edited by dannysullivan : 08-11-2004 at 02:11 PM. Reason: fixed typo
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004   #2
bethabernathy
Looking forward to Summer

bethabernathy has a spectacular aura aboutbethabernathy has a spectacular aura aboutbethabernathy has a spectacular aura about
I just found this thread from your article at:

http://searchenginewatch.com/serepor...le.php/3405021

I learned of your article from a Google news alert. My feeling about the board elections is that they should be moved up as reasonably possible. Within 1 month. The current board doesn't seem to be able to move forward on anything very easily or in a timely fashion (i.e. it seems to me that they still have not retained a lawfirm).

I agree that keeping a few board members in place would be smart in terms of communicating and education related to the development of Sempo. I would like to see Christine Churchill remain on the board. The others I haven't heard much from, and it may be that they are just too busy.
bethabernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004   #3
Nick W

Nick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the rough
Does any of that matter as long as they fail to address far more basic concerns?

Nick
Nick W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004   #4
bethabernathy

bethabernathy has a spectacular aura aboutbethabernathy has a spectacular aura aboutbethabernathy has a spectacular aura about
Ian's posts indicate that the current board has been advised to keep communications to a minimum. I don't think the current board can really do much for Sempo except try to dig themselves out of a very deep hole. Perhaps a new board could do that a little more easily? The current board just wants to find a way to keep things as they are. Clearly an impossible task. A new board needs to step in and get this mess cleaned up as quickly as possible.

Two items to fix right away:

1) Change incorporation status to For Profit

OR

2) Eliminate the membership hierarchy and advertising

The second would be much easier to do than the first. I would like to know if they have formally retained a lawfirm yet? That should not be that difficult. They don't need a high profile firm.

Here are the positions from what I can see from their website:

1) President
2) Chairperson of the Board
3) Vice-President
4) Treasurer
5) Secretary

and 6 other slots.

Last edited by dannysullivan : 09-08-2004 at 02:53 PM. Reason: point already made above removed
Old 09-09-2004   #5
Black_Knight
Ancient SEO

Black_Knight is just really niceBlack_Knight is just really niceBlack_Knight is just really niceBlack_Knight is just really niceBlack_Knight is just really nice
My opinion of any kind of election is always much the same - anyone who wants the responsibility is someone who shouldn't be trusted with it. Always vote for the person who realizes just how much work and responsibility is involved, and that will be someone who hasn't asked for the job.

Seriously, the board members need to be professionals in running a Non-profit, not professionals in search engine marketing. If they need to know anything about SEM/SEO they have a membership of over 250 extremely varied and skilled full-time pros to call upon.

I'd vote 'Nay' to any pro SEO/SEM unless they were serious about changing career. I don't want an organisation that tells me about SEM. I want one that is a serious, well-run, non-profit for the good of the entire industry, and not just using the pretense to promote only members.
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #6
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
1000%, the next person who will be running SEMPO can not be someone too closely tied to the commercial side of the industry.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #7
pleeker
www.SmallBusinessSEM.com

pleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the rough
The next person running SEMPO should have no other job and no other income ... ergo, no potential conflict of interest, which I assume is what you're suggesting, too, rustybrick.
pleeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #8
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
pleeker, the job at SEMPO calls for a full time position. So it would be practically impossible to have an other job.
Old 09-09-2004   #9
bethabernathy

If the person doesn't have any SEM experience that would certainly be a way to get members involved.
Old 09-09-2004   #10
pleeker
www.SmallBusinessSEM.com

pleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybrick
pleeker, the job at SEMPO calls for a full time position.
As it should be.
Quote:
So it would be practically impossible to have an other job.
Ha! I have my full-time job, then there's my home business, and then my hobby site which is essentially a 3rd job. Not to mention a wife and two kids, making "Husband/Dad" a 4th job ... though by far the most important and enjoyable of the lot.
pleeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #11
rustybrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleeker
Ha! I have my full-time job, then there's my home business, and then my hobby site which is essentially a 3rd job. Not to mention a wife and two kids, making "Husband/Dad" a 4th job ... though by far the most important and enjoyable of the lot.
Well, your super natural. This job should take up most of the person's time.