Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2006   #1
osu9400

osu9400 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Google says my site does not comply with guidelines

I emailed Google and asked them why I can't get relisted. They replied and said they can't comment on specific sites, but I need to review their quality guidelines. I have looked these guidelines over and over, but I can't find the one I am violating. Can the members of this forum please check out my site and offer suggestions? http://www.gentryfoto.com

Thanks for your help!
osu9400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006   #2
B-Double-U

B-Double-U will become famous soon enough
I notice several things right off the bat....

First, no robots.txt file. Not that this will get you removed by any means, but it's how I checked it. I went to your website and added that file name to your url, then I mistyped it as robot.txt....just in case.... when I use my back button, it loops between the two pages, yet is still displays the same "Not Found....
The requested URL /robots.txt was not found on this server." page.

You also have bad html on your pages... there are multiple <head> and <title> tags within the same page. This is a no no.

Your CSS also looks like it is masking portions of your pages...From what I saw... this is totally unnecessary and should be looked at.

I'll keep looking though.
B-Double-U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006   #3
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
the three underscores between names in your url are a huge mistake....
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006   #4
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Your statcounter may not be kosher as well... it is uses an invisible element which Google says is a no no.... just use your web logs
Old 02-14-2006   #5
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
First, don't take the fact that you get a standard email saying that they don't comment on sites, and that you may want to look at the quality guidlines, as an accusation that they think you are doing anything wrong - it's a form letter that specifically says they are NOT talking about your site personally.

Second, I just checked and you are showing up fine - your homepage was last cached 5 days ago, and Google has 2,090 of your pages in it's index.

Given that, I'm not sure what you are talking about when you say "re-listed". Do you mean your rankings have dropped? I do notice that many of your sub-pages are listed as Supplemental, which is not a good sign.

Ian
Old 02-14-2006   #6
osu9400

Thanks for the info. Why are underscores bad? If I convert it from site_map.html to site-map.html would that be acceptable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
Old 02-14-2006   #7
AussieWebmaster

Also this is not correct.
<META NAME="Robots" CONTENT="index,follow,archive">
it should be
<META NAME="robots" CONTENT="index,follow">
Old 02-14-2006   #8
osu9400

I'm using NetObjects 7.5 as my editor. Could it be generating bad code? Intresting.

Do I need the robots.txt file if I want my entire site indexed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Ranks
I notice several things right off the bat....

First, no robots.txt file. Not that this will get you removed by any means, but it's how I checked it. I went to your website and added that file name to your url, then I mistyped it as robot.txt....just in case.... when I use my back button, it loops between the two pages, yet is still displays the same "Not Found....
The requested URL /robots.txt was not found on this server." page.

You also have bad html on your pages... there are multiple <head> and <title> tags within the same page. This is a no no.

Your CSS also looks like it is masking portions of your pages...From what I saw... this is totally unnecessary and should be looked at.

I'll keep looking though.
Old 02-14-2006   #9
osu9400

The search http://www.google.com/search?q=www.gentryfoto.com was turning up empty for several weeks, but today it lists my home page and only my home page. Furthermore, the result is an old version of my site. I have sinc made updates to the title and all content. How long does it take for Google to "catch up" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcanerin
I just checked and you are showing up fine - your homepage was last cached 5 days ago, and Google has 2,090 of your pages in it's index.
I got busted for cloaking (I assume) and removed from the index completely. At the time didn't know that was bad thing but have really educated myself the past few weeks on what is good and what is bad.

What does supplemental mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcanerin
Given that, I'm not sure what you are talking about when you say "re-listed". Do you mean your rankings have dropped? I do notice that many of your sub-pages are listed as Supplemental, which is not a good sign.
Old 02-14-2006   #10
osu9400

Brad-
I looked at the source for the home page and I only see one <head> tag and one <title> tag. Can you elaborate on what you're seeing?

Quote:
Old 02-14-2006   #11
B-Double-U

Well.... it has since been changed.....

There were 2 title open and close tags as well as 2 head tags, open and close. Both of them contained different information... one stated UNTITLED, while the other stated a full description. Same with the head tags... they were repeated with different info.

It looks like you found them and changed them though.
Old 02-14-2006   #12
osu9400

Brad-

I didn't change a thing - I promise. I am at my day job and my content editor is 30 minutes away at my house. Thanks for looking.

Do you still see strange CSS issues?

Quote:
Well.... it has since been changed.....

There were 2 title open and close tags as well as 2 head tags, open and close. Both of them contained different information... one stated UNTITLED, while the other stated a full description. Same with the head tags... they were repeated with different info.

It looks like you found them and changed them though.
Old 02-14-2006   #13
B-Double-U

hmmmmm

Then perhaps you have another issue. If I am seeing one page and all of the sudden, the server serves up a different page, you could have DNS issues where you are pointing to another server that has different code. This could be considered cloaking or an attempt to serve via I.P. (different content, dependant upon requestor location or I.P. address).

I'm not saying that you have done this on purpose, but you might want to think if you have had a copy of that website on another server at one time and if the DNS has propogated correctly. Nowadays, the cache should be very rapid...back in the day....(I sound like I'm telling old war stories now) ...back in the day.... it would take up to 30 days to correctly resolve a cache.
If it is being hosted for you... ask if they moved boxes on you or had a backup version running somewhere .... I assume that you don't have this site load balanced.

It also looks like Goog cached it about 30 minutes after my initial post.
"This is G o o g l e's cache as retrieved on Jan 14, 2006 14:29:57 GMT"

The site looks well indexed by G though... I don't think you have anything to worry about.....aside from the minor things that everyone has pointed out...

Last edited by Brad Ranks : 02-14-2006 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-15-2006   #14
osu9400

What are "Supplemental" pages?

mcanerin said that all of my sub-pages are marked as supplemental with Google. What is the cirteria for supplemental and how do I have this label removed?

Last edited by David Wallace : 02-15-2006 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-15-2006   #15
osu9400

Aussie-

I removed the 'archive' string from the meta tag as you suggested. However, my HTML editor publishes the name as "Robots" automatically. I noticed your version has a lower case 'r' as in "robots". Does case matter here?

Quote:
Also this is not correct.
<META NAME="Robots" CONTENT="index,follow,archive">
it should be
<META NAME="robots" CONTENT="index,follow">
Old 02-15-2006   #16
AussieWebmaster

no the capitalization etc is not important
Old 02-15-2006   #17
osu9400

Aussie-

I also removed all underscores. Why are those bad in the Googly eyes?

Quote:
Old 02-15-2006   #18
Jill Whalen
SEO Consulting

Jill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really nice
Neither that robots stuff nor underscores are a problem for search engines. Removing them won't change a thing for your rankings.
Jill Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006   #19
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Whalen
Neither that robots stuff nor underscores are a problem for search engines. Removing them won't change a thing for your rankings.
three underscores.....
Old 02-16-2006   #20
Jill Whalen
SEO Consulting

Jill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really nice
So? What's that got to do with SEO, getting indexed, or rankings?
Jill Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote