Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2006   #1
Omega Three

Adwords and suicide: Killing for profit?

The other day I did a search on google for "suicide". I was surprised at one of the sponsored links that appeared:

[Site Name]
The online service for storing and
delivering a personal final message
[Site URL]

I clicked on the link. For the low price of $9.95 per month, one can upload a suicide note, pictures, or other files to the sayitnow servers. What troubles me is that Google Adwords is clearly being used to target people contemplating suicide. I wrote an email to Google, but did not receive a response. The ad still intermittently appears.

Google's acceptance of this ad appears to be tacitly promoting suicide. Would it be proper for a gun dealer to advertise for "murder"? What can be done to attract the attention of Google to abuses of Adwords such as this?

Last edited by David Wallace : 02-15-2006 at 11:47 AM. Reason: URLs and site name not pertinant to discussion
Old 02-15-2006   #2
DarkMatter
Master Blaster

DarkMatter is on a distinguished road
that site is simply deranged. they have pictures of attractive women and elderly people recording their last words with smiles on their faces.

i cant imagine the sort of person who would pay for that... and purchasing ppc for suicide is ghoulish. bad business plan too, not a lot of word of mouth or repeat customers...
DarkMatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006   #3
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
I doubt the market is big for people who are palnning suicide doing a Google search to find where to leave the note....

This is purely for the potential PR so TV etc. talks about them
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006   #4
Winooski

Winooski is on a distinguished road
Agreed. It's in atrocious taste, however, and I hope Google checked it out and yanked it already. I just tried to find the ad and wasn't successful, so I'm taking that as a good sign.

"Suicide" is a keyword that should probably trigger an immediate "uh-uh" from AdWords, unless it's accompanied by "prevention" or similar modifier, or unless the advertiser's site had been vetted as dealing with prevention, therapy, etc.
Winooski is offline   Reply With Quote