Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2006   #1
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
How to check Local AdWords in another state?

Related somewhat to this thread, I have a few clients running local ads in other states. I usually don't like to do many searches to see if the ad is showing up, since it would lower my CTR, and often recommend that my clients avoid the temptation as well. Perhaps I have missed it, and there is a preview tool avaliable, but how can I check this occasionally? I know we can find Data Centers that are in use in a particular area, but the insertion of local AdWords must be done after that? Any ideas other than having friends in the area check them or occasionally asking the client to do-so? Makes me feel a little nervous that the client would wonder if they were using the right management company if we were to tell them this...
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #2
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of
Chris - not sure if this helps, but geo-targetting is supposed to also work for inbound searches to a region. So, if you're outside your clients targetting region and you perform an inbound search (such as looking for a business in their area), then the geo-targetting should show you their ad - even though you're not in the target area.
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #3
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
thanks abbottsys, I have seen that working. For example when I type in a search with the GEO-modifer in it, I will sometimes see the local ad pop up. The thing is we often run separate campaigns/groups inclusive of terms that are modified. Also, when I run some terms with the geo-modifier in them, it doesn't work. So what I am saying is that doesn't work all the time, and I am looking for a way to do a non-modified search while "virtually" in the San Diego area, for example.
Old 02-08-2006   #4
ApogeeWebLLC
dork

ApogeeWebLLC is on a distinguished road
I've found the diagnostic tool is useful for, well, diagnosing problems for my clients who are running local campaigns outside of my state (which is your state, too). See Google's info here: adwords.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=10927
ApogeeWebLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006   #5
Chris Boggs

nice, dork. (funny user title) Yes I will give that a spin. funny I never saw that. I guess Google is like a brain and you only use so much of it

One thing I wonder is if I cannot use option 2 since I won't have the specific URL for the "missing listing page." maybe option 1 will give me that URL...
Old 02-09-2006   #6
ApogeeWebLLC
dork

ApogeeWebLLC is on a distinguished road
Hey Chris. Well, I am a dork. See /tagman/ from my home page for an example of dorky things I do. Regarding the diagnostic tool, yeah, I stumbled across it recently when one of my clients was having trouble seeing their ads. Found that Option 1 is good for specifying a location to test the geo-targeting. The tool's useful, too, in that it well tell you if there are budget problems. Definitely a worthwhile tool Google has provided.
ApogeeWebLLC is offline   Reply With Quote