Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2009   #1
NewKidOnTheBlock

NewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of light
internal linking & Google's algorithm

I've always believed any page could only distribute a certain amount of link authority. In other words even if you link out to 1,000 pages from a page on your site you would 'lose' only as much link authority (pagerank) as if you'd link out to 1 (external) page from that page.

I've just read something that made it seem different. That linking out to lots of websites made you lose more link authority.

Is there any truth to this?
NewKidOnTheBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: internal linking & Google's algorithm

technically lose more than link authority - over 100 links on page has slight adverse perception generally
Old 07-29-2009   #3
NewKidOnTheBlock

NewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of light

well yeah, I cant argue with that , I meant it strictly as an algorithm matter, though (maybe I should hve made it clearer)
Old 07-30-2009   #4
jag
Forums Valuator, SEW

jag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the rough

Again depends on how solid links you get and how you give out good or bad

Best,
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #5
NewKidOnTheBlock

Hey jag,

cool to see you again - but I think you haven't really understood what I'm asking (maybe I should have put it more clearly - I'll try to do so now):

Ive always thought that the total amount of pagerank (or call it link juice - I'm not talking about the green bar) a page can pass on is always the same. So if you have 10 outbound links on the page the page will pass on 10% of its link juice to each other page that it links to (probably not exactly 10% to each page, as the location of those links might influence it, too). All in all, the page will split the amount of link juice it can pass on, but the total amount of link juice it can pass on never changes.

Whether it links to 10 pages, or to 1,000 pages or to 1 page. The total amount of link juice that page can pass on (and thus leak) will always be the sa me.

So wouldnt this mean that you can always just "leak" a fix amount of pagerank? And that youre not wasting more if you put 10 links on a page than if you have 1 link on that page?
Old 07-31-2009   #6
jag
Forums Valuator, SEW

jag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the rough

NKOTB, I am around here watching and that was an answer how you give out juice internal and external

You will have some control over the link juice leak if you have the site internal link loop well organized. Link one to one between the pages and make it even

Best,
Old 08-03-2009   #7
AccuraCast
This is just a forum. We're here to discuss ideas

AccuraCast is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: internal linking & Google's algorithm

Is there any actually empirical proof that link juice is split (approximately) evenly among links on a page? Has anyone ever carried out a controlled test and determined conclusively that a page with just 1 link will pass on 100% juice and one with 10% will pass on average 10%?

I personally think that sounds patently absurd. It could fly in the year 2001, when SEO was simple. No sensible page would have just 1 link on it, and therefore I can't imagine any sensible algorithm to reward pages for having just 1 link or other pages for receiving the only link from a page.

Link juice flow, like everything else in SEO, is more likely to be determined by a large number of variables, with ranges rather than individual numbers controlling attribution.

In other words, 5 links from a 500-word page will probably carry as much juice as 1 link from a 250-word page.
AccuraCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009   #8
lee123

lee123 is on a distinguished road

I agree with Jag.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by jag : 08-11-2009 at 04:36 AM. Reason: no link drop sign
lee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009   #9
jag
Forums Valuator, SEW

AccuraCast, These are all examines and suggestion that worked and we don't have the algorithm formula right and more over when we look into deep link strategy it is how you layout the page for link distribution and individual page content weight age.

You should not be ranked for a copied content in a page even it is linked internally well with the entire pages that ranks good

Best,