Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2008   #1
gtwlabs
GTW

gtwlabs is on a distinguished road
Need Your Help in URL Strucutre with subfolders?

Hi webmasters,

Which would be the Best URL structure from below three options for search engine portal like database of reviews and User/Expert reviews.

1) Yoursite.com/Reviews/Digital-Cameras/123

2) Yoursite.com/Digital-Camera-Reviews/123

3) Yoursite.com/REviews/Digital-Camera-Reviews/123

I Need to confirm with you before apply the some permanent changes in my site so please advise in this case of sub folder/product.i tried to get the answer in other forum but unfortunately not proper replies so please advise.

we have got many category , subcategory and products in website like so need to set up properly for SEO Purpose.

Awaiting for your reply

Thanks
Eric
gtwlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008   #2
Gooner151078
Online-Marketing-Manager.co.uk

Gooner151078 is a jewel in the roughGooner151078 is a jewel in the roughGooner151078 is a jewel in the roughGooner151078 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Need Your Help in URL Strucutre with subfolders?

Assuming that your primary keyword for this page then option 2 would be the absolute optimal URL structure.

In the past Google has preferred websites with a flatter structure meaning that each page is as few clicks away from the home page as possible. This created a logistical problem for webmasters and designers as they were left with a high voume of pages within high level directories.

As Google increased it's knowwledge of websites it gained a better understandinng of the semantics involved. Now even pages that are ranked deep within a site can rank well. Google has a better understanding of your site as a whole rather than analysing each page individually.

Personally, I would go for option 1. It is a logical structure that makes sense to your readers. It is also managable from a web designers point of view.
Gooner151078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008   #3
ashishkhajuria

ashishkhajuria is on a distinguished road

Well if you are providing reviews only on digital cameras then option 2 is correct but if you have other products also for reviews then you should go for option 1. Bcoz its covering whole category of reviews.

e.g. If you have mobile phones, laptops and digital cameras for reviews. You can put all the three in this folder "reviews". Both are correct but you have to decide for how many products you are using for reviews.
ashishkhajuria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008   #4
JohnW

JohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud of

Yeah I like #2 also but if I understand your example I suggest to enforce the trailing /.

/Digital-Camera-Reviews/123/
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008   #5
gtwlabs
GTW

gtwlabs is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much for your support and reply.

Really appreciated your answers.

I will consider your comments.

Eric
gtwlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008   #6
bikeman

bikeman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooner151078 View Post
In the past Google has preferred websites with a flatter structure meaning that each page is as few clicks away from the home page as possible.
whaaatt???
Since when has physical folder structure got anything to do with site navigation?
Fiolder structure is about physical file organisation.
It will affect the url length but has no effect on site navigation.
bikeman is offline   Reply With Quote