Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2009   #1
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of
AdWords - A Lost Opportunity

Needless to say I spend a lot of time looking at Google SRPs. They must be far and away the most valuable real estate on the Web. So why is so much space wasted?

Specifically, the organics typically stretch half way across the screen, followed by a huge white space, before the Ads on the right.

Why not just do a real 50/50 split screen? Organics (info) on the left and Ads (vendors) to the right.

In this configuration an Ad would probably fit on one line. Meaning more ads per SRP. That's good for everyone.

Let's stop treating the Ads like second class citizens.
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009   #2
KSew

KSew is on a distinguished road
Re: AdWords - A Lost Opportunity

May be branding (look and feel) is more important to Goggle (in the long run), than making money in the short. My opinion
KSew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009   #3
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of

Nice to see you back to 'lively up the place' a bit abbottsys.

I suspect that KSew is probably on the right track about look and feel - and thinking of things for the long term.

I would not consider the following to be valid user testing by any stretch of the imagination - or any sort of official answer - but when I pictured what you were describing, I found myself saying "Oh, ugh!".

Just one person's opinion.

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009   #4
afterhours

afterhours is on a distinguished road

Considering how meticulous Google is about little things we don't even notice, such as how long the query box should be, they've probably done extensive testing in finding the right balance in layout between Paid and Organic listings on the SERP.

I had the same reaction to the 50/50 idea AdWordsRep
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009   #5
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdWordsRep View Post
...I would not consider the following to be valid user testing by any stretch of the imagination - or any sort of official answer - but when I pictured what you were describing, I found myself saying "Oh, ugh!".
AWR
LOL!!! Good to be back in touch.
As regards the above.. don't forget us poor advertisers give Google $1.5 billion/month. Don't we get no respect
Old 05-14-2009   #6
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of

Quote:
As regards the above.. don't forget us poor advertisers give Google $1.5 billion/month. Don't we get no respect
Hahaha! Oh, believe me - advertisers get plenty of respect around here.

Part of that respect is relentlessyly protecting the user experience on Google sites, so that millions of users continue to visit each day, and don't say 'Oh, ugh!' and then, eventually, stop coming back.

Dozens of ads on the page may sound good, but they'd be worthless if people found them busy and bothersome - rather than finding them easy to look at and useful to boot.

But enough philosophy for now.

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009   #7
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdWordsRep View Post
.... so that millions of users continue to visit each day, and don't say 'Oh, ugh!' and then, eventually, stop coming back....
AWR
Hold on. Google is now part of the world's infrastructure. The concept of users "not coming back" is yesterday's thinking. A non-starter.

Users are not looking to Google for a "happy experience", they're looking for solutions. And for vendors that offer solutions.

Let's stop with this, "we're above ads, but we carry then because we have to" mentality. Google lives and breathes because of its advertisers.

Give us some respect. I'm not feeling the respect.

AWR, I'm back

Last edited by abbottsys : 05-14-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-14-2009   #8
ChiefLee
Promotional Products Guru

ChiefLee will become famous soon enough

Coming from someone with a background in website design and development, you're talking about changing the user experience significantly. TV supports their business with commercials, but people come to watch the shows. The majority of searchers on google are not looking to buy, but looking for information. Yet you're talking about taking up half of their visual experience with ads only. Defending Google isn't in my nature (I have a bone to pick with them about some overcharging of one of my PPC campaigns). But the split screen certainly wouldn't be my recommendation.
ChiefLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009   #9
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of

Glad you're back, Abbottsys!
Old 06-10-2009   #10
Abbey

Abbey is on a distinguished road

Was it an opportunity to be a teacher of students with Disabilities in a Special Education classroom?
Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009   #11
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of

Hi Abbey - not sure I understand your question?
Old 06-10-2009   #12
jag
Forums Valuator, SEW

jag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the rough

Mel, Ignore that, it's a spam post. Turn around his posts

Last edited by jag : 06-10-2009 at 07:45 AM. Reason: update
jag is offline   Reply With Quote